Collapsed trachea and COPD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercysmom

Reaction score
Back after not posting for a while... life has not been kind with a riding accident (two fractured vertebra in my back)and now bad news on Mercy, my "third child." She is 17... has had problems breathing and has been treated for fluid in the lungs three times this year - no cough, no heave line... a honky, raspy inhalation and exhalation when she runs or plays, no fever, VERY good appetite... veterinarian saw her again this past week (third time this year) and said she has three things going on - COPD which was hard to hear with the fluid in her lungs, and a collapsed trachea, which is causing the worst of the noise I am hearing. She now breathes like that at rest in her stall - not continuously but certainly enough to say she is getting worse.

I am told the COPD and collapsed trachea are progressive...who out there has dealt with the collapsed trachea (her sire had it and lived into his 30s), and what did you do for it? It looks like the stents might hold some less invasive promise but has anyone out there dealt with them personally in their own horses? I am not ready to give up without a fight...

Anyone have a horse with COPD and beyond soaking hay and as much turnout as possible, what else did you do for it?

We have a recheck on Thursday and I will bite the bullet and ask for a referral to Cornell University, where Mercy's former show partner is a 4th year vet student and she recommended a surgeon there who might do the stents...

Many thanks and happy holidays to all -

Denise (and Estrofest in the barn - all mares)

Miniatures: Mercy, Freedom, Saoirse and Auralyn (new arrival this past September!)

Morgan: GVM Weatherly

Arabian: Calypso

Can't help, just wanted to say so sorry for your mare. Lucky to have "an in" at the vet college.

I had an arabian stud called Calypso as well. I love arabians
default_wub.png

Mercy is so special I am so sorry to hear this and about your back too omg. We had one come into CMHR we were told had heaves/asthma. Good thing we always get our own exam done and a 2nd opinion as she didn't have heaves, she has a collapsed trachea so the meds she was getting for heaves were doing nothing or actually were working against her. We looked into surgery and found it was not a good idea at all so we passed on it. Once she was put on the correct med and got her straightend around she got adopted and she is doing quit well as a pasture pet. She is in a situation where no one runs her and she mobiles around fine at her own pace and is not struggeling to breathe. I know there are a lot of meds out there for this and a lot of herbal things too. I can't stress enough about getting a 2nd opinion and being sure all the correct tests are done and done right. Best wishes and good luck with everything.

Sorry to hear about your mare. I had a stallion with a collapsed trachea. He was 14 when diagnosed by a vet from the University of FL. He would make loud noises after exertion. I eventually gave him to a friend of mine who has minis in the panhandle of FL. Candyman is still doing raelly well. There is a drug (I can't remember what it is) that Grace has on hand in case he has a severe attack. He's doing great at this time and looks fantastic. The vet who diagnosed him told me to talk to the surgeons which I did. They did not recommend the surgery as it causes a lot of scar tissue which has to be removed periodically.

Good luck with your girl!!!!

Barbie

Thank you for the replies (Marty, glad to hear from you - Mercy still wears her flowery ponytail holders to her volunteer events - people LOVE them).

From what I am reading from others who have dealt with this or in veterinary articles, the scar tissue seems to be the big drawback with the surgery... and Mercy's sire lived into his 30s with this condition and with no treatment... of course she had to bolt across the dry lot at Mach 90 when she saw me with a handful of grass for Auralyn and Saoirse... Heaven forbid she miss out on food! The only change in her behavior is not challenging Weatherly or Calypso for food - they are the big girls in her world - she must have figured out size counts in the world of the horse - although Freedom now is alpha to Weatherly (she can send Weatherly tripping over her own feet with one set of pinned ears) and she yields reluctantly to Calypso, who is ruler over everyone (but not so much of a boss that she could not give up an apple to baby Auralyn...I have never seen a horse do this before - walk away from a half eaten apple so another horse could have some. Auralyn does have everyone wrapped around her little hooves).

I have asthma myself and knew what I was hearing did not "sound" like asthma... I was thinking a growth was blocking Mercy's airway.

Mercy goes back for her recheck on Thursday (our veterinarian is up the road from us so I don't mind a small road trip... and Mercy is always game for a ride - she loaded willingly into a pitch black trailer in the dark. :)

Many thanks!!!

Denise

I guess it depends on the severity of the condition - I know a horse locally with collapsing trachea who does fine in retirement, just can't be driven as he can't breathe well when he flexes. Hope Cornell is able to give you some answers.

Jan

Can't help, just wanted to say so sorry for your mare. Lucky to have "an in" at the vet college.

default_wub.png
My Calypso is a 19 year old rescue Arabian - she is the best horse I have ever owned for riding... and she is very sweet tempered. Never would have thought I would have owned an Arabian but a good friend of mine (who raised Arabians for years) said "That mare is the horse you need." Truer words were never spoken - I am a new fan of the Arabian horse. :)

default_wub.png
My Calypso is a 19 year old rescue Arabian - she is the best horse I have ever owned for riding... and she is very sweet tempered. Never would have thought I would have owned an Arabian but a good friend of mine (who raised Arabians for years) said "That mare is the horse you need." Truer words were never spoken - I am a new fan of the Arabian horse. :)

Latest posts

Back