Colic mini colt help please!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not sounding harsh or preachy, I understand where you are coming from : ) He is staying at the surgical center for at least seven days. They have him on a strict recovery schedule. We are taking no chances. Good news is that there was no need to cut into intestines, he is running a little bit of a temp this afternoon..still holding my breath.

Sure glad you got him in there! He is a little cutie and I hope he continues to improve and can come home on time with no setbacks. I was told years ago that horses in general just dont do surgery really well, even in best case scenarios.

Keep us posted and hope he does ok!

Wishing a speedy recovery for your little guy
default_saludando.gif

You said he went to surgery and later you said he didn't have any intestine cut.

What did they do for him?

Would it have been tubing and emptying the stomach content back out the tube using a warm water solution? Like "siphoning" the stomach contents out?

I just wondered how it was actually handled if no surgical procedure was performed.

The vet said our stallion who coliced last month did so because of the weather changes and also not drinking enough water. The above procedure is what they did for our guy.

Possibly you did describe the procedure already and I missed it.

You said he went to surgery and later you said he didn't have any intestine cut.
What did they do for him?

Would it have been tubing and emptying the stomach content back out the tube using a warm water solution? Like "siphoning" the stomach contents out?

I just wondered how it was actually handled if no surgical procedure was performed.

The vet said our stallion who coliced last month did so because of the weather changes and also not drinking enough water. The above procedure is what they did for our guy.

Possibly you did describe the procedure already and I missed it.
I don't know about this case, but sometimes if there is just a flip in part of the intestine they can adjust it, other times they can physically manipulate the blockage by working it through, this is only in cases that are not extreme twists and blockages. This can amazingly be done without resectioning in minor cases. Then other times it creates tears and resectioning must be done regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
"other times they can physically manipulate the blockage by working it through," They were able to manipulate the blockage, he was diagnosed today with salmonella and is being treated. Has anyone had this with their horses? I had three colts come together and we are worried that all three may have come with it?

Star is making good progress and his spirits are up!

Salmonella is highly contagious and I would suspect that your vets are going to want you to monitor your others very closely - if not start them on antibiotics right now. If you vet feels that you are headed this direction I would immediately get some probious and Ulcerguard started on your suspicious ones - the antibiotics can be really harsh on a horse and could easily turn to collitis - often this is fatal and the speed in which it kills is just amazing - as in 24 hours.

Good luck - what a bummer ! !

Stacy

PS Again, not trying to preach - just have "been there, done that" and we were not able to save my mare despite heroic efforts at the hospital - collitis killed her in a horrible way.

Oh no!! Salmonella!!! Knock on wood I have never had to deal with it, but I know it is deadly and very contagious!!! Oh dear. I hope your others dont get it or have it!!!

Does anyone know what the incubation period is on it? Could he have gotten it at the vets since he has been there a few days? You are going to have to name that baby Gold Dust or something by the time you are done with your vet bills.

Gosh, I hope he gets well soon!!! This must be so stressful on all of you, but it sounds like he is a little trooper so far and hanging right in there!!!

Salmonella is highly contagious and I would suspect that your vets are going to want you to monitor your others very closely - if not start them on antibiotics right now. If you vet feels that you are headed this direction I would immediately get some probious and Ulcerguard started on your suspicious ones - the antibiotics can be really harsh on a horse and could easily turn to collitis - often this is fatal and the speed in which it kills is just amazing - as in 24 hours.
Good luck - what a bummer ! !

Stacy

PS Again, not trying to preach - just have "been there, done that" and we were not able to save my mare despite heroic efforts at the hospital - collitis killed her in a horrible way.
This is some great advice. Colic in itself is no walk in the park, but anyone that has dealt with impactions, colitis, gastro enteritis and any of the more severe issues that can present itself as colic in the beginning will tell you that it isn't easy. I would take a gas colic over what you are dealing with any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Good Luck, I'll be hoping for some good news.

I had a filly that went through a colic surgery at the hospital and then picked up Salmonella while at the hospital, so she had to be quarantined both at the hospital and for several weeks after she came home and was on antibiotics. I'd be sure to ask the hospital if they have had other cases there. Hope that's where she got it and that your other two will not have any symptoms, but may be worth isolating them from the rest of the herd anyway. Salmonella requires very strict quarantine procedures. I wore completely different overalls and gloves when treating my filly, and had a bleach foot bath going into and out of her stall. Good luck!!

"other times they can physically manipulate the blockage by working it through," They were able to manipulate the blockage, he was diagnosed today with salmonella and is being treated. Has anyone had this with their horses? I had three colts come together and we are worried that all three may have come with it?
Star is making good progress and his spirits are up!

my expierence with Samonella...

gelding ...colic rolling thrashing, in pain

vet out within 1 hour

banamine , mineral through nose(or mouth) I did not look

I slept with Blackie that night ( valentines day )

pooped at 1 am

----

next morning lathargic , laying down , looking at stomach

took him to UC Davis, took no chances

UC Davis slapped him with a samonella label and put him in Quarrentine, and said he would have to be there for 7 days testing fecal to proove he did or did not have samonella. The only reason why they thought he had samonella is because he had a feaver with a colic..but pain causes feaver sometimes ???

sonogram of stomach, ultrasound...found nothing, no blockage

needle asperation ..nothing...

Blackie was depressed wouldnt eat , but was very happy to be outside in the sunshine , and eating pasture grass.

the vet told me that if I didnt do exploritory surgury the horse would die , and I could make a payment plan for the 10 grand..exploritory meaning they didnt know what they were looking for because they haddent found anything.

My vet and I decided that Blackie would not have "exploritory" surgury and got him released thinking in a day or so we would have to euthanize him. UC Vet was very unhappy and told me I was responsible for his death. ( it was a little girl that visited the barn and fed him a bunch of grass pellets the day he coliced not me ,I wasnt there)

We drove to UC Davis with Blackies friend Cappy to take him home , and Blackie was thrilled , jumped in the trailer. When we got home he ran around the field with his friends ate jumped played , he was fine and happy to be home. Report came back from UC D... no samonella... he just had a colic , was depressed being in confinement alone no window, no friends.

moral to the story... the hospital has to slap this Samonella label on your horse if there is a temp with colic...i was told that there must be poop samples for 7 days showing no samonella to prove they are OK to go home. In my case it could have been a way to add up vet fees with a horse that has no other symtoms but is feeling lethargic. If I had waited a little longer at home to see if he would have come around he would have been fine. I am glad i took him to UC Davis , but I wish I could have taken him home after the tests showed no blockage, infection, tempature. Holding him for the additional 7 days (samonella) with virtually no reason other than a slight fever in the first hour he was there was just a way to make money. Sooo did your report actually say Samonella,? or are they just guessing it was Samonella.because they told me they needed 7 days of samples to diagnose it.

I am thrilled that you took him to the hospital , and that he will be OK

well done
default_aktion033.gif
this is just my story , and every case is very different .

krissy

Interesting Krissy and something I think we all need to be aware of and keep in the back of our minds. The science of medicine is not perfect, and people make mistakes, but some I think, are thinking of the $$ signs, and too quick to jump the gun on surgery. (Have seen this with humans too)

I hope your little guy is ok and has a quick recovery.

Krissy I am guessing you did not fly your horse from Switzerland to U.C.Davis (California)?

You must have lived on this side of the pond then?

Interesting experience to share with us. Thanks.

I realize I am jumping in late here, but wanted to add my experience with colic surgery and maybe give you some encouragement. My big horse has had surgery TWICE, over 2 years apart and they took out large amounts of small intestines each time. Last surgery was in 2001 and he is 24 and fine now. The second time the hospital was also full of colic cases and we had to wait for an operating room. Spring snowstorm/weather change was the suspected reason. He was in the hospital about 7 days each time. They did extensive testing once he got there to determine the need for surgery. In his case, without the surgery he would have died. No question at all... tissue was dead.

Wishing your colt a speedy recovery!!

Ok update...star is making a great recovery, is on antibiotics. still is testing positive for salmonella and is in isolation at the university.

Mickey is the buckskin, stars half brother, and he is on his way to the university has dropped a lot of weight and is not able to get up on his own. Definitely is showing signs of salmonella.

Chief is the chestnut, another half brother, and came at the same time as the other two and has mild symptoms and is starting treatment plan today and his holding his own.

All others are isolated here on property to be sure it does not spread.

anyone know how they get it?

dibbo_244x215.jpg

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this, but none the less I am happy to hear you are trying to stay one step ahead.

Good Luck, please keep us updated

I have been reading your posts everyday with bated breath. I am so sorry to hear what is going on with your babies, but thank god they are in your hands. You are doing all you can and you are in my prayers.

All I could find on Salmonella is that is it is a bacteria that MAY be present in a horses gut and cause no flare ups until the horse becomes ill or stressed.

It spread thru manure, so all picks, rakes, stalls must be disinfected as, I am sure you already know.

Good Luck!

Another update

Mickey and Star are still at the university, Star is scheduled to come home sat salmonella free! Chief is still struggling with diarrhea but home and getting treated for salmonella.

Mickey has gotten pneumonia from being weak and is in isolation at the university getting treated for everything and on hourly watch. Thank god they are watching him now I have not slept in days. He is having trouble getting up on his own but making progress and outcome looks hopeful.

Vets did confirm salmonella from a test. and are testing daily to be sure it goes away.

They were weaned much to young in the vets opinion and being new to having babies I did not know and trusted breeder. This left them vulnerable to catch many things salmonella being one of them.

Thank you so much for all support and prayers it has helped me to keep being positive and productive with all my decisions!

Back