Coat Colour

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethany

Reaction score
Hello

I have a mare staying here at the moment whos colour confuses me?

She looks to be chestnut with a flaxen mane and tail. But her entire coat is covered in white hairs (ticking) its not so much that you can see it from a distance (not like roans) but noticable close up. She has black hooves and no white markings apart from a star.

Her dam is solid black the dad is a pali. Not appies or pintos

Any idea on what the ticking is coaused by?

Thanks
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds like sabino, maybe. It is a modifier like pinto or appy characteristics. It is completely possible for her to be a chesnut with flaxen mane and tail and have the sabino genes which would cause an even distribution of white hairs mixed in throughout the coat.

She could also be a silver bay (with sabino) if dad is hiding agouti and silver. That could cause the lighter (flaxen) mane and tail. Are her legs the same color as the body?

I agree, it sounds like sabino "roaning" (note: different than "true roan"). Pics would help if possible...

Thanks for replies
default_smile.png

Would sabino and silver cause striped hooves? Hers are solid black I always thought Silver and pinto caused stripey hooves?

Took some pics sorry no full body shots as shes not my mare.

Her legs are the same as the rest of her body but shes got alot of smutty looking areas.

[SIZE=10pt]
IMG_3821.jpg
[/SIZE]

IMG_3824-2.jpg

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Any ideas now
default_smile.png

Hi!

I have your horse's color twin.

Moose is a chestnut, lab tested Not silver, Sabino & she's a dun

She has black hooves except one white (white sock)

with flaxen mane and tail.

Here arre a couple pics
default_smile.png
Hope this helps

DSC_6271web.jpg

DSC_8775web.jpg

4-26-08web.jpg

DSC_1035web.jpg

Moosehelloweb-1.jpg

Thanks for the comparison pics !

Love the photo of her and her foal
default_wub.png

Can definately see the similarities although your mare is alot lighter in colour than this mare?

Thanks for the comparison pics !Love the photo of her and her foal
default_wub.png

Can definately see the similarities although your mare is alot lighter in colour than this mare?

default_smile.png
) Moose was clipped in those photos. Here is a non - clipped photo

Why do you all think she is "Bay" ???

moose.jpg

Hi!

I have your horse's color twin.

Moose is a chestnut, lab tested Not silver, Sabino & she's a dun

She has black hooves except one white (white sock)

with flaxen mane and tail.

Here arre a couple pics
default_smile.png
Hope this helps

I don't know about the color but I love the pictures of her and her foal by the water and laying down together.

Sandy, I think she's a silver bay roan, because to me, that is what her color looks like to me. Just the shade, and darker areas underneath etc., whereas your girl looks more sorrel to me.

Do you have a full body photo of your mare? I would call her a chestnut with sabino roaning myself--I have a couple of chestnut mares that are the same color and have lighter mane and tails...not flaxen, but light like your girl's. Sometimes it's hard to tell color without the WHOLE picture though so if you have time I'd love to see one
default_smile.png

I agree with Mona, in that the OP mare is a Chestnut Sabino....most definitely Sabino!
default_yes.gif
As far as Silver Bay goes....it would help immensely to see a full side shot that included the legs. The lower legs are usually a dead giveaway with the Silver Bays...especially on a mature horse. The lower legs would have a darker shading to them...sometimes not very much, but it would be there to some degree.

Latest posts

Back