Coarse Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildoak

Reaction score
I've fed beet pulp for years and it's ordinarily small, uniform shreds. Lately all I can find is darker and has huge coarse pieces in it. I know Sandy posted on this awhile back when she had a sick horse. We were getting it sporadically then, but now it's all in the bags with a serial number beginning with R, and it's all....well, just kind of nasty looking. Is anyone still getting good beet pulp?

I do soak it as needed, but also feed it dry with every meal. I'm having to sift out so much it's almost worthless.

Jan

YES!

The last two bags of beet pulp i have fed have been larger almost chunks in it and the smell is different, it almost feels / smells slimy after i soak it...talked to my vet and he said it was okay but it is disgusting
default_wacko.png

I use the Feed Solutions brand of molasses beet pulp form TSC and have not noticed any difference.

I can only get pellets at my local feed store now
default_sad.png
So I don't think I would even notice a difference in texture

what brand of Beet Pulp are you buying? I work at a Purina dealership. I have not seen any difference in ours yet, but I can definately check with Purina to see if they changed something, if that is what you feed.

If you mean it has clumps in it and stunk so I had some like that and I think it was spoiled so I threw it out. Wonder if it got wet and then dried up like that.

We got several bags of the dark large pieces. I took it back and got new bags and they were the same when I opened it. I changed where we were buying it and it is the small pinkish pieces again. I think that the large pieces is burnt. I soaked it for a complete day letting it sit to be thrown out and it was still hard and it crumbled like burnt sticks would. We ended up throwing it all away. Where we were buying it said that it looked normal. So we will not purchase beet pulp from them again.

I stopped buying beet pulp from my local feed mill recently because, suddenly, I started finding big chunks of wood in it!
default_new_shocked.gif
And, no, it wasn't just big chunks of beet or the stalk, it was wood. I am limited to what I can get locally as I live in a very rural area and the care of the local horse population is lacking so I don't have many options. I started buying a new (to me) pelleted feed made with beet pulp. My Miniature Horse "herd" hasn't been on this new feed long enough for me to tell if I am going to be satisfied with it or not.

I was buying various grains from this same feed mill and mixing my own mix at home and I started finding "junk" in everything (corn, oats, alfalfa pellets, soybean meal, beet pulp, etc.). I don't know if it was an issue of quality or an issue of them or their supplier putting "junk" in everything to make the weight of the feed more than it really is, either is UNACCEPTABLE!

The Beet pulp that has the R at the beginning of the Lot # is the Bad stuff.

At least it was in this area (Virginia) It smells VERY strong and my horses

didn't like it. Little Anna foundered in January.. and I am sure the beet pulp batch is why.
default_sad.png
(

I called the company.. and they actually called me back.

Please call the company. They can give you lots of info.

They are selling this stuff for 15 buck or more. !!!!!

The beet pulp in Northern Virginia seems to be back to normal.

Good Luck!

~Sandy

The beet pulp I have now is like that too. Larger chunks in it and darker. I have not soaked it as yet, but feed it dry in their feed.

Perhaps I should take a better look at and check the number on it. I have not noticed the smell but did buy a small bag of beet pulp one week and it was awful. I have not fed it, it stunk to high heaven.

The majority of our harvested beet pulp goes overseas, this is why the shortage last fall.

I get beet pulp through poulin grain and its "rolled beet pulp with soybean oil" it is really small pieces that are the consistency and size of cracked corn. I love it. Its never dusty and it doesnt take long to soak enough to feed it. I dont know if you can get the same kind where you are but I swear by this stuff. I have tried others from other companies and have never been so happy with the pulp.

Good luck I hope you can find some similar.

Hi

I just checked the beet pulp. It is dark with some large flakes in it, it also has pellets in it, I'm assuming beet pulp. It smells good. I threw the pellets out, the ones I could find. Some of the peices I noticed looked very much like wood chips but when I smelled it smelled like beet pulp. I threw those away too.

This one is in a brown bag, and is made in San Rafael, CA. It had a stamp number on the bottom/back side that had what could have been a zip code starting with 8 and the letter A on the end.

I worry a bit about the big pellets of it though and also the course chips in it. I have been feeding it dry with their feed. Perhaps I should wet it and see what it does.

Gee..........

Sandy, glad you are getting the normal beet pulp again - this is all I can find here and I've checked Tractor Supply as well as every feed store in the area. I think the name on the bag is Agri-Commodities, something like that. I emailed them but of course have heard nothing. Will have to pick up the phone tomorrow.

I haven't had bad reactions to it, but I'm afraid of choke with the large chunks in it and some of it just doesn't smell good. Lots of molasses in it, you can rinse and rinse.....

Jan

Latest posts

Back