beet pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Reaction score
I need some advice about beet pulp pellets from those who use them. I have always used the shreds wet down but now they are difficult to chew for the old minis with missing teeth. When you soak the pellets, do they dissolve completely into a runny slurry or keep solid pieces that turn rubbery. Please give opinions.

I soak my minis feed during cold weather, they are pellets, they turn into a mash. I use a small coffee container to soak it in, then I strain it thru a mesh strainer I get at the dollar store. I would guess the beet pulp pellets would do the same and turn to mush.

The "chunks" in the beet pulp pellets have been smaller than those in shreds, and mine seem to do better with the soaked pellets than the soaked shreds. They don't turn to complete mush like pelleted feeds or hay pellets, but the pieces are much smaller than the shreds.
I have some pics somewhere of the pellets soaked, can't remember why I took the picture, but pretty sure I have one somewhere.
Ok, hopefully they stay in order when I post, not what I thought I took pictures, but now remember I was taking pics to show the difference between the really good shreds I can get and a batch of icky beet pulp I got (I think they were overcooked, too high temp in the pelleting process). Top pic is dry quality shreds, middle pic is wet quality shreds and the bottom are "burnt" ones (I can't remember if it was shreds or pellets, but thinking pellets).
Beet pulp pellets and shreds are not all created equally, some companies have nicer, cleaner product. The shreds in the pic below are not readily available to me, or I'd still be feeding them. The icky ones in the picture are from the local vet, I think the brand might be Nutrena (she carries Nutrena feed, so would logical she'd have Nutrena or Cargill pellets). Now, when I buy, I just get the Standlee pellets, as they are most convenient for me. Hope this helps a little bit, you may just have to try a bag of pellets and see how they look and if the pieces soaked are small enough for your horses.

Attachments

• beet pulp - good dry shreds.jpg
    beet pulp - good dry shreds.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 6
  • beet pulp - wet good shreds.jpg
    beet pulp - wet good shreds.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 5
  • beet pulp - soak icky stuff.jpg
    beet pulp - soak icky stuff.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 4
Thank you, guys. I also soak the grain pellets down to a runny mash, especially for 2 horses that try to bolt their food, but I haven't strained it but they handle it well. I buy some feed from Tractor Supply, I think they carry the Standlee pellets, I'll test it out if it comes in a smaller bag. I buy the Lucerne Farms hi-fiber chopped hay for them in those 40 lb compressed bags, the horses love it. It has molasses in it I know what you mean when finding that beet pulp with a burnt look and awful smell.

Latest posts

Back