Soaked Beet Pulp

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StacyRz

Reaction score
Hi All!

I was just wondering what's a good amount of beet pulp to feed. My mare is 35" and a little bit overweight. My colt is a little over 34" and more refined. I have no idea what either weigh yet.

They each get a one pound coffee container of pelleted grain morning and night and each get 1/2 a flake of hay, morning and night.

I have been soaking the same one pound size coffee can of shredded beet pulp and splitting it between the two of them twice a day, along with their hay and grain.

Does this sound like it's enough? I'd like to make sure they keep enough weight on them to help them stay warm this winter. I have had them about 3 weeks now, and they seem to be maintaining their weight, neither gaining or losing.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is your mare and Colt? I would guess that is too much feed for her if shes not being worked 5 days a week. I have a weanling colt who Im "feeding up" to show in the spring and hes getting a 1lb coffee can of pelleted 16/6 junior feed, and alfalfa mix hay, then 1 cup of soaked beet pulp at lunch, measured dry. In my experience, the minis and it seems the shetland foals require a ton of hay, even more than the bag recommends, but after their yearling year, tend to be easy keepers if not being worked. My senior show horses are out being horses for the winter, and honestly, I have one who is just getting 1 cup of soaked beet pulp, along with his hay. He gets the beet pulp simply so he can think hes getting something when everyone else is fed. In show season, I feed less hay, but through winter, everyone gets 1 flake, twice a day. Yea, they arent show fit, but digesting long stem forage helps them keep warm. Ill start worrying about hay bellies in february or march when I start working them, feeding them more grain, and trying to muscle them up again. Its healthier for the horse to eat more hay and less grain if they can maintain good body weight on it.

Thank you for explaining! My mare is 18 years old and all she does is stand around and look pretty
default_laugh.png

The colt is 16 months old and even though I plan to show him in the spring, as you said about your guys, just kind of hanging out for the winter.

Their grain is 16% and 6% . When I got them, they were on 14% and 4% but everywhere closeby that I looked, I couldn't find it.

Also, I tried giving them each a whole flake morning and night, but they were wasting it. Even with just a half flake each morning and night, they both have a bit of "leftovers" .. I'm afraid of giving less hay though because I can't stand the thought of them being hungry LOL

So it does sound like they are being fed a little too much of the beet pulp?

Do you have current pictures of both of them?

Your 18 year old mare who is just standing around probably doesn't need 16% grain. Really the only horses who need 16% protein are young growing foals, their protein needs are 14%-16%. If a horse is taking in more protein than it needs, it drinks more and pees more to get rid of the excess protein. I would bet your mare would do better on 12% or at the most 14% protein. I think shes probably getting too much grain too. She isnt working or growing, so thats honestly a lot of grain for her. Not sure about your specific grain, but 1 1lb coffee can of my pelleted junior grain is almost two pounds. I really doubt she needs 4lbs of a 16% protein grain a day, which is why hes a bit fat. I would bet that the reason shes wasting her hay is because shes filling up on grain. Horses have small stomachs, they cant eat a lot at one time. If shes anything like my guys, she prefers grain over hay, so eats it first and fills up, then skips out on her hay. I actually feed my hay 1-2 hours before grain, so that they dont waste anything. If shes already fat, adding beetpulp to her current ration will just make her gain more weight. My suggestion would be feeding her the recommended amount of feed for her desired weight (Its safe to assume shes not over 300lbs) then if you want to add more to her feed, adding some beetpulp.

What feed are you using? Maybe we can look up the recommended amount for her and you might be able to cut her back a bit on her grain, and replace the grain that you cut back with some of the beetpulp.

Wow! I am such a dolt! Why on earth I didn't snap as to GRAIN is going to weigh more than ground coffee is beyond me.

Thank you so much for offering to take a look at them!

I do have a few pictures from a little over a week ago. Forgive the quality, I really need a new camera (but after begging, pleading and sulking like a child to get my husband to agree to not one but TWO horses, I'd better not ask Santa for a camera this year! LOL) Ahhh I digress as usual, sorry.

I just can't seem to get a good shot of my colt. He always looks disproportionate when I take pictures LOL, but if you can't get a good guess I can run out when it gets light enough out and try to get a different angle.
default_yes.gif

home10151.jpg

prettyfancy.jpg

And Finale...Looking homeless and unloved with his grown out bridle path and covered in dirt
default_blush.png

finallyfinale.jpg

finally.jpg

The brand of grain is Dumor Equistages. Oh and I meant to ask, do you think Fancy should maybe be on senior grain? The bag says for growing horses 12-24 months they should get 1-1.5 pounds per day per 100 pounds of body weight.

For mature maintenance 2-3 pounds per day for a 700 pound horse
default_new_shocked.gif

Believe me when I tell you I would not say this lightly- your mare needs to lose weight!!!

I am assuming you feed separately?

I think the mare could get by without any problem on hay alone, so long as it is decent, clean hay, and I would give her at least one slice, in two feedings, per day.

The colt I would also be giving more hay to, but I am a bit of a fibre freak, and I worry when they do not get enough- my horses a re out on grass all the time, are yours, as if they are this does make a big difference, even though there is not much in the grass at this time of year. My weaned foals get a large (by the standards here) amount of Beet Pulp- but I do soak and drain it, so they are not getting the sugar content.

I am only feeding them and the males at the moment, none of my mares is even getting hay yet as they still have good grazing and are looking OK- that is really how I judge, by looking, Your colt looks really good, the mare looks over topped on her crest and that is never good news.

So I would cut back on all the mares feed and not worry too much about the colt.

Nice animals, btw, is the mare in foal?

Thank you Jane! I appreciate your honest answer.

They are on a completely dry lot. They are separated by a fence but next to eachother.

I had them together for only a week but she was so mean to him that I asked for advice here and was told to separate them, which I did right away. I am positive my colt did not breed her in that time.

She was bred June 4-11 by her previous owner but he said she came back in to heat twice so really doesn't believe she settled. He said there could be a slight chance she is in foal, but he really doesn't think so. He never had a foal from her in the time he owned her (though she has had 10 previous foals.)

I will certainly take your advice on the feedings. I want them to be healthy. Would you recommend I cut her grain down over time rather than all at once? I've been doing lots of reading and I'm scared of her getting sick from a quick change in diet, after reading so many sad stories.

I'm all ears!!! Thanks so much!

*Edit to add... we are moving to our own 5 acre ranch in the next week or two and since I have NO plans to breed him, once we get settled he will be getting gelded :)

*one more edit..to add that she had her last foal in 2010

Stacy I agree with Jane, cut her feed down slowly over about 2 weeks and then just give her a slice of hay divided up during the day. That is all my preggo mares are getting and they still look great. As for your youngster I would cut his feed back too as he is looking very chunky. Can you divide their hay into 3 feeds or are you away at work all day? My horses all get 3 feed and the youngsters get 4. As was mentioned before try and give him his hay at least an hour before his feed. I run out in my pj's and throw them their hay that I prepared the night before then when I am dressed and off to take the kids to school they get their hard food (which is why I always stink of horses )
new_rofl.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one skulking about the yard in my pj's!

I put jeans and a sweatshirt over my pj's this morning, a hat over my unbrushed hair and went to the store at 6 am. I got home and realized I was wearing my fluffy white slippers...and they were covered in hay
default_new_rofl.gif

So..Finale is chunky too? I honestly thought he looked thin... I am so grateful for all of you. I can't imagine how awful they would look by spring if I hadn't come here and asked.

Yes, I certainly can feed 3 times a day as I stay home right now with my nursling daughter who is 5 months old...

And funny enough I noticed just today, Finale's appetite for hay has all of a sudden increased
default_new_shocked.gif
He was laying down, muching away a few minutes ago when I went out there, and it was already almost all gone. Usually by dinnertime he still has a few handfuls left (I assumed they were wasting it. I suppose I was just overfeeding and they couldn't eat it all!)

I will cut Fancy down gradually and get her on just hay and maybe a few pellets in the bottom of her bucket to keep her from pitching a fit when I feed Finale. Thanks SO VERY much for the advice girls ((hugs))

new_rofl.gif
Stacy i did exactly the same thing this morning
new_rofl.gif
sweat pants and a jumper over my pj's and a hat on my scruffy hair cos it was really cold and went to feed the horses then thought I best pop to the local shop to get some milk for the kids breakfast and the girl in the shop (who knows me by now) said "you seem to have some hay on the back of you coat"
whistling.gif
woops

new_rofl.gif

default_new_rofl.gif
There is hay EVERYWHERE! I finally decided to shower and put on some clean clothes (it's 1 pm lol) Well of course there was hay all the way down the hall, and in the bathroom..but in the pockets of my CLEAN jeans? Really?!

I have to make sure to empty out my bra before feeding my baby or her first word will be a whinny..sheesh!!

I bet my mother and law can't wait to see me and my little farm leave
default_laugh.png

It's like the breadcrumb trail from Hansel & Gretel where ever I go

In my opinion I would never feed "hay only" to any horse especially a young or older one. They need minerals, salt, vitamins. I would cut back slowly on the beet pulp. Ask a nutrition person at your feed store or go online to websites.

I wouldn't cut out grain completely either. I strongly think she is simply so heavy because of over feeding grain. I would feed your mare the recommended amount of grain for her body weight. I would bet she should be between 250-300lbs. Equistages is made by purina for tractor supply, and is VERY similar to Purina strategy. The recommendations on equistages are in cups, not pounds like most feeds. For maintenance on a 1000lb horse, they reccomend 3-4 cups a day. I would divide the 1000lbs by 4, figuring 250lbs, and as a starting place, feed her a cup a day, split between two feedings. Dont expect her to be thrilled about getting a half a cup of feed at each feeding, lol. Then, I would add soaked beet pulp to her diet, because it is low in calories, but will help her feel full.

So, if she were mine, for each meal she would be getting 1/2 cup of the equistages, along with 1 cup of beet pulp measured dry (then soaked of course) Along with that, 1 flake of hay. Once she was on it for about a month, I would check condition, and re adjust if needed.

For the colt, I would cut him back a bit too, slowly though as hes not super overweight. Possibly cut him back to 3/4 of the coffee can for a few weeks, and see how he looks in a month.

Actually you can feed up to half their daily portion a day in beet pulp so it is hard to really feed to much. YOu have to remember you measure the weight DRY not soaked so shredded beet pulp weighs very little and I am sure the amount you are giving her is not making her gain weight.

Beet pulp can be used to help both lose weight and gain weight. If you want her to lose a bit up her beet pulp remember you measure the weight DRY she will get to eat more bulk instead of a handful of feed a day and be taking in more fiber and still able to lose weight. Think of it like the difference between corn kernals and popped corn. a small amount actually makes a much larger amount in bulk that you get to eat (ok kinda like that anyway)

Beet pulp can also be used to safely put weight on a horse. here 1 cup of pellets = 1/2 pound and that makes 6 cups of soaked beet pulp so for my fatties that is alot of eating time out of 1 cup of food where if it was one cup of grain it would only equal about 4 bites if that.

Wow I really appreciate all the advice. I am finding it very interesting how differently everyone feeds. I will take a little advice from everyone and continue to post pictures to see what everyone thinks.

I honestly did think my colt looked thin, so I'm glad you guys let me know or I would have had an awful time getting him back into show condition for the spring!

Also they do have access to mineral blocks, and they love them....Now should I also be giving them a salt lick too?

I gave both a little less grain last night and this morning. It DID make them eat their hay better!

thanks again for all of you who took the time to answer as well as explain. I like to be able to adjust their feed and understand equine nutrition better
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back