CMHR THANKSGIVING DRIVE FOR FOSTER HOMES

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! CMHR has had a very busy year. Thanks to our new President Jess Freer, he has had our Board of Directors running like a well oiled machine, which allowed us to rescue many horses this year and find them new homes. We love working under Jess so much and we are so very thankful to him for his guidance and encouragement and leadership.

We need more foster homes to gear up for 2009. With the way things are going, we see a need to get ready for more horses to come into CMHR and we cannot keep our barn doors open without foster care givers.

This is how it works: When we get a call, Shannon and I look on our spreadsheet to find who would be the closest foster home to the horse. We don't want the horses to have to travel too far because usually their condition will not allow it. We then call that home and make arrangements for the horse to go to go into the foster care program at their barn. Upon arrival, or asap, the foster care giver will call their personal vet and arrange an exam for the horse. (Emergencies are treated right then.) If there is no dire emergency, we get the vet report and then the Board of Directors decides from there what is feasible to do to help the horse. The vet will do routine maintenence such as vaccinations, coggins, teeth and geld stallions. The foster care giver will then use their personal farrier for feet trims. CMHR pays for all this except the farrier. The foster care giver provides hay and grain and of course their labor. If the horse require special supplments, we pay for that. The foster care giver also tends any medical problems such as having to change bandages, soak feet, and grooming whatever. It is a labor of love. But mostly, we just need places where a horse can plunk it down and be cared for while waiting for someone to adopt them. Unfortunately, some remain in foster care now for a year with no hits in sight yet. We are hoping our Christmas promotions on YOUTUBE will help.

The foster care home always has the option of turning down a particular horse that may require too much daily care, or is to unruly to handle. We were very lucky this year to be able to have a couple of foster people to teach tricks, manner the ones on the wild side, and start some under harness to help them be more desirable for adoption. This of course is a huge plus but not a requirement.

If you have an empty stall; if you have some extra time, if one more won't matter, then you might consider being a foster home. If you would be interested in becoming a foster care giver, please go to our website and download the appropriate form and submit it to our secretary Shannon.

Thank you so much.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Marty CMHR BOD Promotions, Reports, Case Worker

This is a YOUTUBE tribute to our foster care homes of 2008

Last edited by a moderator:
Bumping
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif

I can say from personal experience that fostering a horse in need has been one of the most gratifying things for me. It is a great feeling to know that I have helped so many.

I hope we can get several volunteers from all over the US - we are going to need them! f

I got the word out this past weekend, so hopefully there will at least be donations if not foster homes. Our bake sale brought in $50 for CMHR, it's out 4-H groups community service project. We try to sell baked goods, candy, carrots, I even did a guess how many carrots are in this container and win it all. That worked well at the horse shows. You could make a guess for .25. It all adds up after a while and next year I hope to be more organized and do more of the horse shows so either homes or donation should be coming fomr Massachusetts.

christy

Marty-

I would love to be a foster home some day. Right now my barn is full and with Dave in Alabama I have my hands full with what have. I can't tell you how many times I have told him I want to be a care giver. Hopefully we will get our house sold one of these days and get settled elsewhere so I can help out. There will be some $$$ coming - that's the least I can do.

Good luck - I certainly admire all you and everyone else at CMHR does.

Barbie

YOUTUBE takes forever for me to watch on my slowwwwwwwww dial up, but it was worth the wait. Almost made me cry..the music was perfect! I have been approved to be a foster mom...but no one has needed me...i guess that is a good thing.

The video was beautiful, thank you for sharing it.

Oh thank you everyone!

Not to worry Nancy, we have your number but let's hope we won't have to be calling out so many people but just in case, we really need memberships and foster homes lined up throughout the entire US.

Christy - you do so much for CMHR - your the best hon!!

Don't worry Nancy - you never know when a horse in need is going to come along right in your area. Thanks for being there for us and

Barbie - we will welcome you aboard whenever you are ready. Thanks!

Back