CMHR may be setting a RECORD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginia

Reaction score
Yup, that's right...21 minis all in one herd. That's almost as much as we have taken in all year.

The Story!

It seems that a woman in AZ is getting a divorce and cannot care for her minis any longer. Gini Acton was told by a third party that this woman needs to give up her minis. There are 7 stallions, 6 bred mares with babies and two mares without babies. Gini, bless her soul, arranged, with a local big horse rescue and some of her friends, a seven trailer caravan to pick them up. Last night the woman decided she is going to try to sell a couple to pay for feed for the others. This woman does not have a phone and it is hard to comunicate with her. So for right now things are on hold. I have a gut feeling that these minis will eventually come into our care.

CMHR just doesn't have the funds or facilities to care for this many minis all at one time. What we need from you wonderful folks are your homes, your trailers and your hearts. We need you to open all three to these minis who have found themselves in the position of losing their home and possible starvation. It will be a couple of weeks probably before we know what the final decision is to be. We NEED to be PREPARED. Please any of you that can Foster or better yet Adopt any of these minis please get your paperwork into Gini Action [email protected] If everything is in and approved, we will be able to get these guys out to you ASAP. This way we won't have to wait on approvals, everything will be done.

We don't know the conditions of these minis, we're praying that they are in good health. If in the end we don't get this herd, we will get some Foster Homes, so it's a win-win for us. Actually it's a win-win for the future needy and unwanted minis out there. There are more and more every week. I don't know the cause, some just don't want them anymore, some can't afford them and some I'd like to strangle!
default_rolleyes.gif
: No matter the reason we are getting almost 200% more this year than previous years. I've got 5 at my farm, Kay has 4 and we have others around the country.

So please open your homes, trailers (we can't afford to ship these guys all over the place)hearts and of course your pocket books. Those of you that are too far away from AZ please just send a few dollars, every one will count.

Please, CMHR NEEDS YOU!

Ginny StP

Contact [email protected] and she will send you the necessary paperwork. Our web site is having a problem with the forms.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my goodness!

I'm a long ways from Ariz but will send another check along.

I know some people in Ariz and I will contact them to see if they

could help, if need be.

Thanks for all you do for these wonderful little guys.

I've requested paperwork.

Perhaps Nationals can help... in a way... people departing Tulsa to go to all corners of the country can take along a horse to a new home...

I'm here if you need me. :bgrin I've got the paperwork, just need to get it all filled out.

I can also help haul some around if need be.

shawna bless your heart you are always right there when we need ya :aktion033:

Everyone please keep in mind that we do have to have everyone fill out the applications and have refrences checked etc. None of us like paperwork but we have to be sure that everything is done right. Ive received some emails saying count me in as a foster home, which is FABULOUS but we cant do it unless you return the application
default_smile.png

I think Nationals coming up and folks going to, and coming home, might be an idea! But I know that all will depend on when you get them.

So if you could keep us up to date.

I know I will have room in my trailer, and know of a couple other people that will have trailer space as well.

Will watch for updates and a time frame.

Ginny, how'd we do for the Christmas in July sale?????

Oh my gosh... :no: for some folks down there, I imagine that they are 8 or 9 months away from first cutting of hay and that this is going to get much worse, for both big and small horses alike before it gets better.

CMHR is set up for paypal donations aren't they? That's about all I can do right now. We are too far away and our barn is stuffed full.

We are planning a quarantine shed at our new farm so we can apply to be a foster home but that's a ways down the road.

Sorry to be sooo far away!

Wish I could physically help...money doesn't do it all.

Sending a big {{hug}} & hooray :aktion033: to all those

who are giving their time, trailers, homes & hearts to Chances!

Donate some "stuff" to the CMHR auction if you don't have ready cash. All you pay is shipping! I posted on the Rescue forum too.

Sorry, but I'm going to urge some caution here before everyone gets their underwear all in a twist.

So far... this is 3rd party information. No one has seen the horses. No one knows if they are truly a rescue/underfed/poor health, etc etc etc.

For all ANYONE knows at this point, this is a story concocted by someone who is looking for an easy way to sell some horses by appealing to the soft-hearted. So before getting all bent out of shape about "these poor horses" - please make sure they are truly in need of rescuing.

Yes, I'm a cynic. Guess when you get to be my age, you just see too many scammers out there and want "proof".

As far as picking up/dropping off at Nationals -- NOT a good idea if these are truly rescues!!! I for one don't want a bunch of sick/wormy/bug-infested horses being brought there while my horses are there.

Jean, shame on you. First of all please go back and read my post. I said we MAY get them, that we DON'T KNOW their condition. I was asking, no pleading, for Foster Homes to come forward INCASE we get these minis. It is an unknown situation.

I was agreeing with your post as I was reading it. This may be a set up, but it may NOT be. If it isn't and these minis need us I want to be ready. Hence this post. Even if we don't get them, we will have added Foster homes to our list. And believe me, at the rate they are coming in, we will need each and every home that we can get.

As I said, I was agreeing with your post till I got to the last paragraph. That is where the "shame on you" comes in. What right do you have to say you don't want "sick/wormy/bug infested minis near yours". For all you know, one of them could be yours, possibly one you sold years ago. Or if you haven't sold one, it could be one a friend of yours sold. Who knows where some of the ones we sell wind up 5 - 10 years down the road. That is one of the reasons I got into Mini Rescue. I breed and sell. I pray to God that one I have sold will never wind up in a position to be rescued, but you never know. The more I think about your statement, the madder I'm getting. Who are you to say your horses are better than some possibly ill ones (which we don't know if they are ill or starved) All minis are equal in my eyes. Guess some people just don't get it. I hope to God you never fall on bad times and have to give up your minis. Have fun at Nationals, I know some minis that will not be having fun, or food for that matter.

Ginny St Pierre

For all you know, one of them could be yours, possibly one you sold years ago. Or if you haven't sold one, it could be one a friend of yours sold.

Amen sister. I know its hard for people to believe but we have taken in horses bred from well known farms and yes farms bred by people right here on the forum. I always tell people you never know when one we get will be one you bred and sold. Its a very sobering thought and one that ANYONE who breeds and sells minis needs to keep in mind.

Jean keep in mind that we work our butts off for these horses and they are very near to our hearts. So to hear someone bluntly say they dont want rescues around their horses well it just hurts to even hear it. I love them all. Registered or unregistered. Great conformation or poor i dont care, they all deserve basic care and love.

I have heard of many horses getting sick at Nationals without rescues even being there so no matter where you take your horse you are never immune to sickness.

bottom line is this. WE NEED FOSTER HOMES!! we have already set records this year and cold weather is looming along with hay shortages. So even if the minis above dont need us unfortunately there are more that do.

:aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Well said ladies, I bow to you all in rescue.

I guess I would have to agree with Jean about the quarantine issue. I would try to keep them separate from mine however possible. It might not be the most considerate thing to bring a horse or horses to a facility that people have their show horses at, when the horses may well be full of lice, etc.

I took in a "rescue" of a horse I had sold and he was FULL of worms as well as lice, though otherwise outwardly healthy. I DID quarantine him for several weeks until I was sure the lice were gone as well as the worms, and that he didn't show any other signs of being ill.

Some of us have better means for quarantine. Right now, I could not, and I am too far away anyway, but if I HAD to, I could set up a separate small, pen until the weather turned really bad, and by then the horse would be ok anyway. Not sure whey Jean is being "jumped on" she did not say NOT to help...?

I'm glad there is a heads up, it's nice to have some time to plan.

Liz

Oh for PETE'S SAKE ! Even if I did take in a rescue -- it would NOT COME ANYWHERE NEAR MY HORSES FOR AT LEAST 2 MONTHS !!!

I have worked too long and too hard to develop a well-bred herd of HEALTHY horses, and under no circumstances would I knowingly risk their health !!! That is just plain stupidity! ANYONE taking in a rescue (and I applaud those taking in animals that are in need of such help) would be less than responsible if they did not quarantine such an animal for a significant period of time, during which time they should run blood work, worm the horses, vaccinate them, have nasal swabs taken and cultured, etc.....in other words, BE RESPONSIBLE OWNERS OF THE ANIMALS THEY ALREADY HAVE.

And yes, I have rescued a couple of horses. One was an 8 month old filly. The halter was growing into her head. It was late October in northern Wisconsin but because she had such a worm-load, she had no winter hair. Her feet had never been trimmed. She had a raging case of the snots. And I got her cleaned up and healthy but it took OVER A YEAR and she turned into a wonderful sweetheart of a mare. The other was a VERY well-bred stallion that when I found him in southeast Indiana -- some of my friends thought I should have him put down because he was in such deplorable condition.

In each case, those horses got no where near any of my other horses for over 2 months!!

So NO -- I do not want to have a bunch of sick horses coming to the Nationals show grounds. Besides, the authorities would probably lock up anyone doing so! The state of Oklahoma has very strict laws concerning the transport of equine!

Jean

I do understand what you mean. I do quarantine any horse that comes here rescue or one thats bought. Funny thing is the only ones that have had illness are ones i paid thousands of dollars for LOL.

we are not going to show up at nationals with a herd of rescues. I think people are just throwing out ideas.

Too soon to get upset about anything
default_smile.png

And like i said everytime you take your horses to a show you put their health at risk. Just one of those nasty facts of show life. That virus that went around Nationals last year hit a lot of horses HARD.

I agree with people making sure they quarantine all new horses coming onto their property, near their horses. I do this with every horse coming onto my property whether I know the previous owner or not. This to me is just good herd management. Kay is right, this was just an idea that someone had in trying to help us get the horses into foster homes. We appreciate all ideas and opinions coming to CMHR on helping us with all the horses.

As of now, and what Ginny StP stated, we do not know if these horses will be coming into the rescue.

We need to be ready whether they come or not. While this was being discussed yesterday on the

forum, another horse Daisy came into the rescue from Canada. These are some of the most horrible pictures of

neglect I've seen lately. With Daisy I'm not so sure of her outcome. She is also due

to foal in a few weeks. Please go look on the rescue forum and know that this is what we are now

dealing with almost weekly.

Again, while we do need foster homes! Please know that we will [SIZE=14pt]NEVER[/SIZE] knowingly put your farms or your horses in jeopardy.

[SIZE=10pt]Show grounds are notorious pools of disease and pestulance. I wouldn't want to send a RESCUE HORSE anywhere near such a place! Funny thing is, of all the rescues I have brought to my place, big AND mini, put them into quarantine, etc, the only times my barn has gotten sick DESPITE having had all vaccines current, were when SHOW horses returned from a show. [/SIZE]

We need FOSTER homes irregardless of IF we get the 20 horses or not!

Well GEEE! No one suggested throwing common sense out the window! sigh

There are a lot of people leaving Nationals with a brand new horse that has probably traveled there from some remote location just for the purpose of the sale. I see ads all the time-- "free delivery to nationals!" Who is to say what their condition is? Those horses should be quarantined too.

Good old common sense.

It won't hurt to have foster homes lined up. This prompted me to get the official paperwork and fill it out.

Any news? Is CMHR stepping in or is the issue resolved another way? Just curious.

And, how are those foster applications coming?

Latest posts

Back