Club Fund raisers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MountainMeadows

Reaction score
Hi Again

OK - what activities do your clubs put on to bring in extra funds for you'all - would love to hear about all the different ways that you raise extra $$$ to pay for your club's year end activities, pay for club insurance and other costs that your club incurrs, ie admin, newsletters, etc.

Thank you

Stacy

Merchandise with our logo... coats, hats, shirts, mugs, bags

Calanders

50/50 draws

Donated items ticket sales

just to name a few...

I am on the board for our local humane society but I think our fundraising could work for you. We have done a cookbook which is doing really well for us and doesn't have a time limit like a calendar would so you can sell them all the time. Calenders, pet pictures with Santa. Dog washes (I guess that wouldn't work as well for you), Valentine's day and Mother's day raffles, we just did a dance with silent auction, and a Tails on the Trails where people get sponsors and then walk the trail with their dogs. There are also some fun games we do that day, best pet trick, dog/owner look alike, oldest dog, youngest dog, obstacle course etc. I think you could do that with minis as well. Just a few ideas. We are also looking for new ideas so I am really interested in this thread.

The last few years we have donated a show quality gelding to several of the local clubs for them to auction or raffle off. It seems to work pretty well for them in all but 1 instance. Bringing in 1500 - 2000 ea; on most fo them.
default_wub.png

Our club is a 4-H club and we're excited to try a turkey or ham raffle this year. The local Grocery is going to donate 1 turkey. And hopefully we'll get another store to donate a ham or turkey. Then our cost will only be the tickets.

And of course we do the normal Bake sales, car washes, etc.

I like the dog washing idea. I also help run the 4-H dog program so Thank you Painted meadows for the ideas.

Good luck with your fund raisers.

Great topic! Thanks for posting it!

The last few years we have donated a show quality gelding to several of the local clubs for them to auction or raffle off. It seems to work pretty well for them in all but 1 instance. Bringing in 1500 - 2000 ea; on most fo them.
default_wub.png

Great resource idea Stac....

John, do you feel that by doing this that there are/were liability or legal sales issues for the club holding the auction? I think we have proposed this before to the club and it was shot down due to some potential issues. I'm sure finding a donation horse would be abundant right now : ) Who held the horse in the event of a no sale?

There has never been a problem here in Texas or Lousiana where we have donated the geldings directly to the club and then they did their fund raiser.
default_wink.png

The Last one was for the San Antonio Area miniature horse club and they did a raffle with all the typical disclaimers on the tickets. The lady that won it did not have a place to keep the horse, so she sold it to Eric Myers of the World of Miniatures for some amount.
default_wacko.png

The club I think raised 1780.00. That colt was top five at the world show I heard for Eric so it worked well for everyone.
default_wub.png

If you do a raffle, check on your state laws. I am the PTO President at a school in TN and you have to put in an application a year in advance. If you are 501©(3) might want to check out grants from your local utilities; our electric and natural gas company have given us funds in the past. I like grants because you don't have to ask anyone for money expect once a year for a big fundraiser.

Good Luck!

1) Sell business card slots to club members & add to back of show programs-white spaces

2) Sell yearly Ad spaces on side of club show trailer

3) Slient auction table at shows

4) Sell club shirts being new design/color each year

5) Sell ad slots on club web site

6) Earmark a $1. of club shows stall cost to club member year end awards

We've (Minnesota Miniature Horse Club) done a number of different things over the years including Tshirts/clothing, raffles for gift certificates, a donated items auction at our annual banquet, poster, calendars, etc.

Last spring our fundraising committee sponsored a Clinic which featured several different offerings including Jumping, Driving, Farrier, Confirmation and Grooming/Shaving. Most of the presentations were donated by club members and our Youth Committee provided food and beverage, proceeds of which went to the Youth Fund.

It was well-attended, educational and tons of fun. We also raised a nice amount of money thanks to the time and efforts of our Fundraising Committee Linda, Maureen and Marilyn!

Best, Mary

Hey Stacey

We did a "thats my pan" fundraiser and it went great. People LOVE these pans. The horse and foal they put on the pan lid is great for horse farms. I got one for my sister with a kitty on it
default_smile.png

www.thatsmypan.com

Kay

Raffling off a horse can bring in a fair amount of money. However, I do find that there are a growing number of people who are very opposed to raffling off horses--not so much people involved with the Miniatures, but "big horse" people. Not sure that is true everywhere, but it is here.

A horse (Mini) was raffled off here last year, with the draw being done in late March. I had concerns about that because the horse was clipped, and late March is still pretty cold here--thankfully the horse was won by a horse person that knew how to properly care for him--I'm not sure what would have happened if the winner had been a non-horse person that was determined to take the horse rather than a cash amount and if that person didn't know or care that a clipped horse needed extra care. There was some criticism from outside the Miniature world for just the same reason--well, more or less--those people didn't believe a horse should be raffled off at all, clipped or not clipped, at any time of the year.

I have to think that raffling off something inanimate, like a big screen TV, would be just as profitable and much less controversial.

If you are looking for $$$ outside your immediate circle you have to do some non-horsey stuff.

I hold Pampered Chef fundraisers. We have dozens of products under $10, and much more under $25. The beauty of this is that there is no up-front cost to the clubs. There is no shelf life. As coming from the Corporate world, people are TIRED of candy and cookie dough or pizza. In this economy folks want stuff that they can use for years. Plus everybody loves Pampered Chef products. . There is no charge for catalogs. People can take the catalogs anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are great - love all those ideas - I will bring this up at our next meeting and see what feedback I get

Stacy
default_saludando.gif

A horse (Mini) was raffled off here last year, with the draw being done in late March. I had concerns about that because the horse was clipped, and late March is still pretty cold here--thankfully the horse was won by a horse person that knew how to properly care for him--I'm not sure what would have happened if the winner had been a non-horse person that was determined to take the horse rather than a cash amount and if that person didn't know or care that a clipped horse needed extra care. There was some criticism from outside the Miniature world for just the same reason--well, more or less--those people didn't believe a horse should be raffled off at all, clipped or not clipped, at any time of the year.

In the last few months, I haven't had time to check the forum as often as I'd like to. I was looking for ideas on fund raising when I came across this thread. If I had seen it sooner, I could have responded and perhaps shed a bit of light on the raffle here in Manitoba. Holly (minimor) is absolutely right – Manitoba in March is not exactly balmy!!

The raffle is held each year at the Manitoba Royal Winter Fair. Tickets are only sold at the display where knowledgeable people answer any questions visitors have. It has been a fantastic opportunity to educate the public about miniature horses and for them to have a chance to see a miniature horse up close as well as attend the demonstrations we give all week long.

The ticket clearly states – "Children must have parent/guardian's permission to enter the draw. The horse will not be released to the winner until there is evidence of provision for adequate accommodation/care." With the clear conditions, people have realized that we certainly have the welfare of the horse in mind. We have more control over where the horse goes, than where some sale horses go.

Heather & I provide the raffle horse and after the draw we have always kept it here where we have a temperature-controlled barn until the weather is warmer and/or the winner has a proper place for it. If we don't know the winner, (in several cases, we did know them), we delivered the horse ourselves, so that we could see where it was going. In one case the winner never did provide a proper facility and the horse stayed here until, after 1 ½ years, he was sold to a family for a minimal amount to cover his board.

Last year, a 6-year-old boy whose family has a dairy farm won the mini horse and it stayed here until the weather warmed up. Since then, he has taken his horse to school, to nursing homes and in parades. This March, a mom put her name in, and the ticket was drawn on her son's 4th birthday. They are a family who has been involved with big horses for years, and since the draw, they have purchased a 2nd mini for their 6 year old son. We now have more families loving their minis!

Everyone who has shown at our Brandon Summer Fair Miniature Show during the last 7 or 8 years has benefited greatly from the profits of this raffle (over $1000 per year). We have been able to make a considerable cut in the entry fees because of this and other fundraising. Many people don't commit to fundraising, so this has been another way for Heather & me to help in that area.

Rod Hart

I once offered a ideal of raffeling off a stud service to my stud. The club and members LOVED the ideal and said that was really awesome as it would benefit and bring in some $$$. BUT because of legal issues it was sadly turned down.

Back