Clipping...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taxi

Reaction score
I just got a new mare named Melody about a month ago, she is smoky black, and she is so sweet! We just got her back a couple days ago from being bred to a cremello named Dutch.

Now I have a question yesterday I started clipping her and i got all of her clipped except for her legs, she wont let me clip them, how or what can I do so that I can get her legs clipped? What she does is when I try to do it she starts kicking her leg. What do I do?

Thanks, ~Chelsey~

My suggestion to you would get someone to help you. You need someone to hold one of her legs up while you clip her other legs. After doing each leg give her a break and give her lots of praise and perhaps a reward. You want her to remember this as a good experience so that next time it will be easier. Good luck.

Danielle is correct, it IS easier if you have a helper.

One way to clip legs is to pick up the opposite leg you are clipping. Use nice smooth movements, lots of praise and treats. You might even want to give her a dish of grain to take her focus off the clipping.

Oh, and be very sure the clipper blades don't get too warm.

MA

Yes a helper is big. Sometimes I hold the leg I'm clipping to and she is better. I keep hay in front too

One time I was clipping a horse's back legs that was very used to it and for some reason, she decided to kick. She kicked my hand and broke it and the clippers went flying out of my hand and broke into a million pieces. I'm not doing that anymore! OUCH!

On the little young ones I wait until I can get some help with someone who will hold them for me while I clip. I'm very patient, give breaks, offer hay, treats and praise so it will be an enjoyable experience and then maybe next time I won't need help.

I have one older girl that I know will kick at the clippers no matter what. I totally tie her up and use a twitch. I hurry up about it. I get in, get out and boom, done fast.

I had the same issue, mine were great until I got to the legs and then as soon as they felt the clipper on their leg, they thought it was me asking for their foot so they'd lift their leg and/or kick up. I didn't have a helper for doing the legs/feet of one of my horses, I ended up picking up each leg one by one as if you were going to pick it out and then clip the leg! This works great for all around the hoof and up to the knee. The back legs I will hook over my knee (bend your legs a little and hook their back leg over your knee) for better balance and then just work away at that lower foot/leg! Usually once you get up to the knee/hock they wont kick anymore, it's just something about that lower leg!

Good luck!

LOTS of desensitizing techniques. OH boy I have gone through this more then once.

I have a yearling that hates this no matter what.

I vacuum my guys so I run the vacuum down their legs. I tie a bag to a whip and brush it down thier legs.

Anything to desensitize the heck out of them. I will and have twitched if I need the job done right away.

But yes do get help!!

Good Luck!!

I'm glad you posted this topic, because everyone I've body clipped still looks like they are wearing leg warmers. Never occurred to me to have a helper hold up the opposing leg. Now I just have to find a helper.

Thanks!

Stacye

Good Advice so far, my mare Katie is a monster when it comes down to the legs.

I think if the horse has fine legs those little bones just rattle right through when the get the vibrating clippers on them.

Ive tried her with smaller clippers and she was much better but the little ones just wouldnt do the job.

So I was told to stand the horse on a big peice of thick carpet... worked well for me but once they get a thing in their heads about it it takes a while for them to realise its not uncomfortable anymore.

When ive tried the opposite leg thing with Katie she just freaks out on me.

I know this sounds wierd but Ive really learnt to mind my manners with this mare. She is very touchy with her body - so whenever I am going to do something to her that she mught be uncomfortable with I ask her nicely first... Approach her gently, show her the clippers rub her neck and then her legs with them, tell her how clever she is and reward with food.... it is her body after all.

Hope Ive helped, Good Luck

Helen

Hmmm maybe I'm weird but I like holding the leg I'm clipping UP. Particularly because it relaxes the tendon behind the cannon bone and you can clip it because it loses definition.

I pick my horses feet out almost every day, and even with THAT they have to learn that THEY do not take their foot back, I give it back to them when I'm ready!

I don't twitch or tranquilize (so far so good) but I have a lot of patience and don't mind wrestling them. Sometimes I cross tie the particularly bad misbehavers. I believe in lots of desensitization, and letting the horse learn for themselves that YES it is vibratey and tickley but they have to do it. After all, it doesn't HURT! They are just little babies
default_smile.png

At least they're little. If it was a draft horse I'd go for the Rompun in a heartbeat.

Andrea

Latest posts

Back