Clipping now in Florida?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suz

Reaction score
I'm tempted to clip my guy with a #10 blade as his last clip of the year (to cool him a bit in these extreme temps plus for some upcoming local shows), but just wondering if it may be too late in the year for him to grow a winter coat in time for the cooler weather.

Anyone else in Florida clipping once more this year? He has only been clipped once this year in the spring.

He does have his stall (and a sheet and blankie if needed in the winter), but am trying to do without them and let his coat warm him naturally.

Thanks!

Suz

I clip in ontario, canada until the middle of october and my guys always grow back a good coat about a month or so after thier last clip.

Hi Suz, yes we still kept the ponies shaved as our last show of the year was in November. Used the sheets and blankets and not a problem growing it right back.

yes, here in Ontario just clipped our weanling filly this will be our last clipping except for touch ups, only 2 more shows for us this year.

We live in Florida/ I am still clipping. Still hot here on the east coast.

In Florida I wouldn't worry at all. Here in Maryland we are no longer clipping anything for fear they won't grow back thick enough yet for the winter. For us, better safe than sorry. But I wouldn't worry about it in Florida.

Suz-

I think you are down south of Sarasota. It does stay warmer there. If you clip now with a 10 or 15 you should be fine. It absolutely does get colder in Arcadia than it does on the west coast of FL. I can remember freezing at Kristy's in past years.

I clipped my 2 non show girls a couple of weeks ago, they have already put on a bunch of hair and I did them with a 30. I'll be clipping my show yearlings in a couple of weeks for the October show. Yes, I may have to put sheets on them for a while if we have an early cold spell, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck!!

Barbie

Latest posts

Back