clipping in the winter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krstn&Locket

Reaction score
I've seen some people clip a minis head and somtimes neck in the winter but leave the rest of there hair, is this ok to do? I would never body clip in the winter but is clipping there head ok to do?

Depends on where you are located!!!

If you are in a northern climate... NOT UNTIL you know the temps will stay above freezing. Clipping a head, especially the ears, could result in frostbite! And the tips of the ears have little to keep them warm except that fuzz. Severely frostbitten ear tips will result in the skin dying, and eventually falling off! I'm sure you've heard of mountain climbers, etc. who have had to have fingers or toes amputated because they severely froze them. Same thing. I've seen a couple horses where this happened. Definitely not attractive!

Those who are clipping heads/necks are

1. doing this late in the winter when threat of frostbite is over, or

2. keeping their horses inside during cold weather, or

3. live in a warmer climate.

I wouldn't do it. All my horses will be nice and fuzzy until about April when I need to clip for shows. I've been contemplating doing just the head/neck for the Pineland stallion review, but I just don't know if I dare this late in the year. If people can't see past the light fuzzies, oh well! It's already getting pretty cold (40°). If you're not showing I'd possibly think of it this way. If you can go outside in just a lightweight shirt at any time of day, then I wouldn't worry about clipping. If not it's too darned cold!

Why would you want to? It's kinda like putting your kids outside to play in the cold without a hat and gloves. Too cold, leave em fuzzy.

I say leave ALL of them fuzzy....their heads will get cold too in the winter so why make them cold if you don't have to.

Jessica

I only trim up the bridle path and face up like this.

MVC-009S.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We bought a yearling last year at a sale held October 30th and he had been body clipped for the sale with I think at least a #15 on the body and shorter on the head. Comparing him to how fuzzy our minis were already even by that time (we are in Minnesota) I felt so sorry for him. I blanketed him, but also wanted to encourage hair growth so once his hair grew out I tried to only blanket him when I really had too. He was stalled at night and in poor weather in a insulated warm barn but he just never seemed warm enough compared to the others.

Latest posts

Back