clipping foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orin

Reaction score
At what age do you start introducing clipping to your babies?

I've clipped as early as two weeks. I trimmed my filly loose in our barn (not tied up) with her dam. I clipped her dam first and then the filly. In my opinion it was a lot calmer this way because she was desensitized to the noise before hand and was able to run around for breaks whenever she felt like. No stress.

That filly is now a yearling and a complete doll.

Other foals I have clipped at a month to two months because of shows.

I dont clip mine for a couple of months. Babies cannot regulate thier body temperatures very well and that hair is insulation, whether it's hot or cold out. Mother Nature gave them that hair for a reason.

I also usually clip the mama with the baby close by and they are used to the noise... then the babies really dont notice that much and I have had a few that really thought it felt good, lol

I don't do it by age, so I'm no help there. Depends on the weather when they are born, one year it was around 105 when two were born, and they had thick foal coats, so we did put them in our lap and clip their chest, neck and bellies at around two weeks old.

I usually clip the moms neck, face with foal in attendence, then put the foal in my daughters lap to clip the head and neck, but if the weather is really hot I may clip more. I do like my foals born early as we like to show, so if they are born the end of Feb to April, I don't feel the need to clip early as the coat is protective, especially with the cool nights. They usually don't get a full body clip until they are weaned or if the weather is extremely hot like it was in the year stated above. Before I bath ans clip the full body I like them to be halter broke and taught to tie, but, instead of tieing them the first time, I have someone hold them for a warm water bath so if they struggle there is some wiggle room, I put them in a grass area to dry in the sun, then get someone to hold for what I call a rough clip. Then the next week or two we repeat the process only this time, when clipping I put them in the cross ties, which by this time they are trained for, and give them a really good clipping. Most of my guys when started young can have their ears clipped without a twitch, that is my goal. I've bought some mature hoses that must be clamped or twitched for ears & legs, it becomes a pain. Patience and reward works so much better.

About the same here we clip at about 2 weeks old loose in the stall with mom present that way no halter to deal with then breaks are easy to take

It usually goes pretty good. Sometimes depending on the weather we have waited a month or 2 when its comvient for our schedule

Fab. She will be 6months for her first show but I was going to turn the clippers on and just rest them on her body etc so she is used to the noise and vibration so she will be easier to clip and not stressed etc.

I do not clip foals, they need their coats for protection, not just from cold, but form the sun as well.

It gets very hot here, so often they are clipped to help keep them cool (southern CA). The first day I run clippers on them and just take little patches each day to desensitize them, but usually don't fully clip till a couple weeks or months old if possible.

Latest posts

Back