Clipping faces

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mellis815

Reaction score
What do YOU use to get that "bald" look? We normally use shaving cream and a razor to take the hair off, but still can't get in the nooks and crannies, we are leary about using Nair because we hear it can burn....Just curious to what you guys use? (Pictures would be great)

Missy

Last edited by a moderator:
FOr me, it all depends on the horse. Shake has black skin on his face and therefore, I can't clip super close or he looks like he has dipped his face in a paint pot. I clip the whole head down in 10 blades, then I clip out his face, up to a 'V' in his forehead with 15's. Then I do over the eyes, a teardrop shape under the eyes, and a 'V' up to his tearbones in 40's. The day that he shows, I do over his eyes, but not quite as high up as I did the 40's, with a razor. I also do his muzzle, again not quite to the height of the 'v', in razor.

I don't know how well you can see it, but here's a photo of him from the show:

th_CarthageShake002-1.jpg

Personally, I hate the bald look. When it's done right it looks bad and when it's done wrong, it's hideous. I clip the cheeks with a 10, from the ears down to the eyes along the side with a 15, forehead down to the muzzle with a 30, blending a 15-40 from the cheeks down to the muzzle, back up to the eyes with a 30 or 40, over the eyes with a 40, and the muzzle with a 50. I really wish we could get away from balding our halter horses. It looks fake and it isn't what wins the class.

Personally, I hate the bald look. When it's done right it looks bad and when it's done wrong, it's hideous. I clip the cheeks with a 10, from the ears down to the eyes along the side with a 15, forehead down to the muzzle with a 30, blending a 15-40 from the cheeks down to the muzzle, back up to the eyes with a 30 or 40, over the eyes with a 40, and the muzzle with a 50. I really wish we could get away from balding our halter horses. It looks fake and it isn't what wins the class.

AMEN

I won't bald a horse anymore for showing in halter. I think balding can look alright on a dark bay or black horse, but on lighter colored horses like sorrels, chestnuts and grays, it looks really awful. When I used to bald my horses they were not able to be horses after a show, I had to cover them with bug repellent and make them wear fly masks all the time for a week or more after a show. The way I do it now, they only need to wear the fly masks for a couple days after a show. Also balding a horse's nose has got to be at the least uncomfortable or at worst painful. Ever had razor burn before on your legs? Yikes.

Instead I clip the entrie head down with a 15, then I use a 50 over the muzzle and over the eyes. I blend with a 40 and 30. I find this is close enough and I can put face oil on the horse and achieve virtually the same look without the horse looking phony and weird.

Edited to Add; Don't let anyone make you think that balding your horse is the only way to win in halter. A nice horse is a nice horse, period. Its a fad only, it was the exhibitors who started balding horses and judges can only judge what is put in front of them. All it takes is a few people to start not balding their horses faces, and others will soon follow the trend. If you don't like the look of balding, don't do it.

The best thing to do is follow a willing groom around for a day and watch them do several horses and ask a lot of questions.

I am not good at face sculpting/clipping or razoring soI do not do it and when it needs to be done I have someone else do it.

I actually do like the look or a well razored horse of course not so much on palominos and a horse not done properly can look pretty icky.

When done properly (just like face sculpting) it can enhance the look of a horse and present a finished picture. However a well sculpted face can look just as good all depending on how it is done

default_yes.gif

I won't bald a horse anymore for showing in halter. I think balding can look alright on a dark bay or black horse, but on lighter colored horses like sorrels, chestnuts and grays, it looks really awful.

I agree 100%. If a horse has underlying pink skin on the face, balding looks just terrible. If the unerlying skin is black, then I like the look.

Read the Judges Round Robin Article in the most recent Miniature Horse World on razoring faces. The judes unanimously agreed partial or close trimming is preferable to razoring.

I thought that there had been something saying that it isn't allowed anymore, but I still see a lot of people doing it at the shows I have gone to. Did anyone else see this article?

April

I thought that there had been something saying that it isn't allowed anymore, but I still see a lot of people doing it at the shows I have gone to. Did anyone else see this article?

April
Its not allowed in the shetlands. I think if the minis are dark, I mean like black, it looks fine, even pretty. But if you go any lighter it just stands out way too much. I clip close like a 50 around the muzzle and eyes and inside there ears. Blend it with a 40 or 30 if they have alot of white on there face Ill clip them with a 15 if not Ill a 30.

You just don't see alot of razoring done at local shows but you will see it at Nationals, I think and I hope that the razoring is going down. Use to I have seen very few people razor the entire head, even with horses having blazes, that just looked gross.

I love the look! So to get in the nooks in crannies, what I do is pull the skin, constantly moving the skin to get in there. If your hands slippery from all the gel and water. I use my towel to pull the skin over gives a better grip. Happy clipping and shaving!

A big thank you to wpsellwood for actually answering the question that the initial poster had. I've been waiting for someone to answer...

I love the look! So to get in the nooks in crannies, what I do is pull the skin, constantly moving the skin to get in there. If your hands slippery from all the gel and water. I use my towel to pull the skin over gives a better grip. Happy clipping and shaving!
Same here, when I used to razor I used to actually stick my finger up my horse's nose to stretch the skin, works pretty good!

ohmt said:
A big thank you to wpsellwood for actually answering the question that the initial poster had. I've been waiting for someone to answer...
The OP asked what people use to get "that bald look." People answered- clippers! She didn't ask how to razor specifically.

Leia

Guess I assumed that she was wanting to know specifics beings she already knew how to get the bald look.

We normally use shaving cream and a razor to take the hair off, but still can't get in the nooks and crannies,

About the only suggestion I could give is to make sure you have good hot water and a towel to lay across the nose before shaving (think nice hot shower not scalding). The heat and moisture "soften" the hair for an easier time of shaving.

There is a definite art form to it and while I think many of the miniature enthusiast miss the mark on it I've seen way to many heads turn from plain Jane to Fabulous with a facial to say it does not make a difference.

Thanks everyone for all your answers and solutions to this! Yes, I was asking about actually razoring, as we have one mare that looks phenomenal when she is razored. However I also agree that there are certain horses that you just don't do it on because it looks completely stupid! LOL

Again, it's all preference. I have not seen the article where they said it was banned, however I do feel that if the trend goes away from it, then it will become a thing of the past as well.

Thanks again for all your input and I will definately put this to good use:)

Back