Clipping colt for Show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witts Mini Horse Ranch

Reaction score
I was in the process of ordering blades and could not make up my mind, so jumped from my cart to here. I have a silver bay pinto appaloosa. I am showing him the 24th, last year when I clipped him with a 10 he lost his loud color and was almost all silver. If I clip him this weekend he will have almost 2 weeks growth. I was thinking about using a 8 1/2 blade. Advice would be appreciated...this is my 1st try at showing myself...it's just for fun...my little colt will be as green as myself! Might show 2, but the other is solid black so he is easy.

Here is a pic of him right after being clipped, I did not do his face.

Dancer's 1st clip 2008

Dancer with almost 2 months of growth after clipped

Ok what do you think?

Personally I wouldn't go any longer than a 10 blade, most people around here use a 30 blade. In the pictures I also like the shorter hair, it just looks more polished and the color is incidental unless your focus is going to be on the color class?

I think it depends on what classes you are showing in. We have a palomino gelding and I have clipped him the day before a show in a 8.5 but while my daughter takes him in halter he is really a performance horse and IMO I think he stands out in the performance ring a bit more when he is golden instead of washed out. If I was showing and putting the emphasis on halter I would clip with a 10 or 15.

Personally I wouldn't go any longer than a 10 blade, most people around here use a 30 blade. In the pictures I also like the shorter hair, it just looks more polished and the color is incidental unless your focus is going to be on the color class?

Well, I think all my babies are perfect...BUT!..I know I am barn blind, so yes I figure our best bet might be color class. Wow a 30, I might have one 30 blade, he would surly be naked
default_new_shocked.gif
Which will be my second topic...which classes to enter....I look at the show schedule and I am like duh? I know I need to measure him..and he was foaled in 2008. I want to enter as many classes as possible, if we are going, we want to play in as many classes as possible LOL If anyone is going to the MHPBO show at Ada, OK, tell me what classes to enter
default_wink.png

Thank you for the advice.

I think it depends on what classes you are showing in. We have a palomino gelding and I have clipped him the day before a show in a 8.5 but while my daughter takes him in halter he is really a performance horse and IMO I think he stands out in the performance ring a bit more when he is golden instead of washed out. If I was showing and putting the emphasis on halter I would clip with a 10 or 15.

So Lisa, you would clip with a 10 if you where showing in the color class? The only performance he does is rearing up
default_wacko.png
I think the sliver is pretty, but he stands out more with the sorrel. Maybe I should clip him this weekend with the 8 1/2, and then if I screw up...which I probably will..I can come back with a 10.

well I am not an expert but if it were me I would clip in a 10- if this is your first show by yourself and you are going for the experience more so then the must win thing. If you clip him in a 30 he will have to be inside for a couple days at least after the show so he has time to grow out and does not get either sunburnt or cold.

I personally do not clip my horses in anything but a 10 for local shows. Again though it depends on your reason for going and the compitition at the show

Hi Sis!
default_saludando.gif
I just found this thread
default_smile.png

I would use a #10

Hi Sis!
default_saludando.gif
I just found this thread
default_smile.png
I would use a #10
Alrighty then it's settled, remember now...last year when I clipped him you said where did his color go..so if you say a 10, a ten it will be. I think I am taking Robbin too....you should come and see how your name sake does
default_wink.png

Thank ya Sista!

I would also use a 10. Remember the more you clip them the quicker their color comes back in. We usually clip 4-5 days before a show

I clip solid horses with a 15

I would suggest a #10 as well. If it is going to be 2 weeks before you show, you may want to re-clip him again right before the show again in a #10.

As far as classes:

Liberty

Ammy halter

Open halter

Color class

Any youth classes (if you have a kiddo or can borrow one) LOL

Good luck and have fun!!!!

Just had a thought, after you clip him, rinse him then hot oil him overnight. That really helps bring the color back!

The oil afterward is a good idea icspots!
default_smile.png

Ooh!! I want to see pics of my name sake!
default_wub.png

I wish I could go! But please do get pics!

Just had a thought, after you clip him, rinse him then hot oil him overnight. That really helps bring the color back!

Thanks! Sorry been catching up on chores, too pooped to get on computer. What kind of hot oil? Do they make that for horses or you just get a people oil?

The oil afterward is a good idea icspots!
default_smile.png

Ooh!! I want to see pics of my name sake!
default_wub.png

I wish I could go! But please do get pics!
Yes, I will send you pics as soon as I clip him so you can tell me if I should enter him or not. It's funny, he even has your personality
default_laugh.png
Must be having to do with being a Gemini LOL

They make horse hot oil, but I've also seen (somewhere) where people make their own. I just use the horse stuff, mix it w/the hot water in a spray bottle, then spray the horse all over put a slinky or blanket on them (or they will be covered in everything imaginable) and leave them at least for an hour or two preferably overnight, then rinse again, and they look marvelous
default_rolleyes.gif

I would suggest a #10 as well. If it is going to be 2 weeks before you show, you may want to re-clip him again right before the show again in a #10.
As far as classes:

Liberty

Ammy halter

Open halter

Color class

Any youth classes (if you have a kiddo or can borrow one) LOL

Good luck and have fun!!!!
Thank you! Ok we can forget liberty, even though I would love to do that but not with these 2. Someday with my Shenandoah stallion. He loves to dance and a better bet at standing for me to put the halter back on.

I saw 2 ammy halters, one on Friday and one on Saturday. I am looking at the schedule, finally found the color class, it's with geldings. What is showmanship? Is that the open I have found the word open in the performance classes, maybe I am just over looking it.

I won't be clipping them this weekend, we are suppose to have bad weather tomorrow so I think I will wait, just so anxious to see what's under there.

Latest posts

Back