clipping a "face/muzzle shy" horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMW

Reaction score
I have a new mini, that will be turning four on the 14th, she was bred last year and had a live filly and was turned out to pasture after she was weaned. Today was the first day in a year that she was really handled, and I clipped her neck/withers and most of her face today to help ease the sweating she was doing from her really shaggy coat. While doing so I ran into a rather large problem - she was OK with getting her face clipped... From the middle of her nose and up. As soon as you went to go to do her mouth/muzzle she totally lost it and charged me. To help get her used to what I was trying to do, I laid the blades of the clippers flat and just laid them there and she was again OK with it, slowly moving the clippers from the resting position to clip some hair in a feathering motion. However, as soon as I went to move it and do any kind of clipping she once again would charge forward and toss her head up. I know it'll take time to get used to.. But is there anything else I can do to ease the fear/inexperience? Am I possibly doing something wrong? Any tips are appreciated. The same technique worked with the other parts of her face, just not her muzzle. She is clearly scared of it and I don't want to "ruin" her.

If she charged you, it sounds more like she just didn't approve of the vibration (or your clippers were hot) and she was telling you "no." I've seen plenty of horses that are jerks about clipping, not cuz they're scared but because they just don't want it done. The fact you can clip elsewhere tells me that she's not truly afraid.

Lots of horses think clippers on the muzzle is a sensitive area with vibration. My gelding now, will let me shave inside his ears but then gets silly with his nose. I either twitch him with my fingers or give him a treat as a bribe and he's okay. If he got aggressive though, I would probably be aggressive back since I'm in charge and he's gotta do what I say.

Ok that makes sense, because I would change them after getting hot. But even then she would still charge forward and I'd be the jackass right back and she would only get worse about it (I still would give it right back to her with the same force) after a while I got as much as I could stand I called it a day and brushed her down and sent her off for the night. I did try holding her nostrils with my index and middle finger as a kind of twitch and didn't get too far with that. Next time I'll try holding her lip instead or a treat as you've suggested. I'd just really like to break this bad habit fast lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you had her the whole time, or just recently? I think horses that have been twitched are really touchy about their noses; perhaps she was twitched improperly.

I don't care how many endorphins are released when twitched, it is not something I would do to a horse, unless we were endangered. Endorphins are released due to pain. Clipping a muzzle isn't a matter of life and death; we'll will work up to that slowly. If it takes a couple of years--so be it. JMHO

Handle her nose and chin a lot day to day. Rub your fingers over her gums--surprisingly, they like that. Wash her face and nostrils with a warm cloth. Lots of handling that doesn't involve anything threatening. Try not to jerk down, or put downward pressure on the halter. Pressure from the halter on the nose is uncomfortable for her. I hold the head and not the halter when working on the face. Sometimes I have to back a new horse into a corner instead of using halter pressure, but sweet talk and persistence usually prevails.

I have a new horse and will be clipping in the next week or so, depending on the weather. She does not like having her nose handled. Every other part of her body is hohum, except the nose. I've been working with her every day, so hopefully when clipping day comes she will let me do her nose. (I do like a tidy head.)

Show horses are frequently razored. Maybe she would tolerate that rather than clipping. I've never done it, but I've seen it done.

I have only gotten her recently, and she is alright with having her nose handled but has made it clear its not something she really prefers (can't say I blame her). Great advice, thank you! Usually I will do a lot of touching, rubbing, and general feeling of those areas that they seem not to be fond of having touched, hopefully over time she will be better about letting me do so. The last thing I want to do is cause pain to any animal I care for, so if I can find a way that works for both of us will be great. This is the first time I've really done much of anything with her so she might have been testing me. I don't plan on showing her any time soon so if she looks a little funny that's okay... Practice will make perfect

I may feel ambitious and razor her... Might be interesting to try because she's really hairy there at the moment. But of it works I'm more than willing to waste a few razors!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back