Clippers

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullseye

Reaction score
I'm having a tough time deciding which brand and type of clippers to buy. I would just like to know which kind you like best.

I need a pair that will last, do a good job, choose chargeable vs. plug in, brand, and what kind of attatchments are needed! Please help me out! Thanks!

YOU NEED the wall mount Double K wall mounted clippers. Clippers . WORTH the price, they swivel and are lightweight, the engine runs seperately(it mounts on the wall) from the blades so they stay cooler..

We have well over $1000 in clippers and this is the only one I'd recommend.

You'd want a #10 blade for sure. I use a 15 all over the body, but thats for show. We have every size blade... Quite a collection. But the #10 is a must have.

Well, I have the doubls ks and still prefer my Wahl KM2s!!! I splurged this spring and bought my double ks, after reading everyone's reviews on them. I don't think that I would ever buy another set!

I've used the Double K's plenty of times... but personally I prefer the Laube Lazors. I don't usually have a lot of space, and they have really held up and are reasonably priced for as powerful as they are.

Andrea

I have also used Double Ks and they have never reached to the postive reviews people gave about them. I sold them and now use Wahl Storm 2 clippers. IMO these gave me the best clip jobs over any oster or double k clippers I've used. They lasted me thru all show season as well as the wahl blades.

As far as charging portable clippers vs plug in clippers no question about it go with the plug in clippers. I tried the Wahl Bravura which are portable, chargable clippers and they were fine for small touch ups and on the go to shows but they just couldn't go thru a whole clip job. You can plug them in I think any chargable clippers you can plug in but I don't think any could get the job done like plug in clippers.

I too have the Double K clippers but never use them. I prefer my cordless Wahl Chromado clippers. I bought the Wahl clippers in the spring of 2005 & have used them a lot since then--that's 7 full seasons of clipping. I use them for body clipping foals, clipping bellies & butts when I want to see what is there under all the hair, body clipping horses that don't shed out well or fast enough, fetlocks, bridle paths & jaws to tidy everyone up in the spring.....clipping heads and legs on the show horses, I have even done some show clips (body) with them. I always clip dirty horses and those clippers & their adjustable blade just keep going & going. I usually get through the entire spring/summer/fall with only 1 blade but when I clip heads for the shows I use a new blade just so it does the best job possible. Now the battery is starting to slow down a little--I don't get quite as much clipping time as I used to on one charge, but it still does pretty good. 2010 was the first year I noticed any difference in clipping time, and it's been no worse this year than it was last year so I'm not looking at a new battery yet.

Had I known I would never have bought the Double Ks--for what I paid for them I could have had 2 more of the Chromado clippers & still had some money left over.

Well, I have the doubls ks and still prefer my Wahl KM2s!!! I splurged this spring and bought my double ks, after reading everyone's reviews on them. I don't think that I would ever buy another set!
I love my Wahl KM-2s. And, I have a set a Oster Clipmasters for spring dewoolie clip, it just zips through the winter uglies, creating clipper uglies, but that's what a bath and Wahl KM2 follow-up are for. I bought the Oster's used, and have been very happy with them.

I too have the Double K clippers but never use them. I prefer my cordless Wahl Chromado clippers. I bought the Wahl clippers in the spring of 2005 & have used them a lot since then--that's 7 full seasons of clipping. I use them for body clipping foals, clipping bellies & butts when I want to see what is there under all the hair, body clipping horses that don't shed out well or fast enough, fetlocks, bridle paths & jaws to tidy everyone up in the spring.....clipping heads and legs on the show horses, I have even done some show clips (body) with them. I always clip dirty horses and those clippers & their adjustable blade just keep going & going. I usually get through the entire spring/summer/fall with only 1 blade but when I clip heads for the shows I use a new blade just so it does the best job possible. Now the battery is starting to slow down a little--I don't get quite as much clipping time as I used to on one charge, but it still does pretty good. 2010 was the first year I noticed any difference in clipping time, and it's been no worse this year than it was last year so I'm not looking at a new battery yet.

Had I known I would never have bought the Double Ks--for what I paid for them I could have had 2 more of the Chromado clippers & still had some money left over.
I love my Wahl KM2s, and was wondering which cordless would be good to try. So, I might get brave and try the Chromado clippers. [i bought a used Oster PowerPro cordless on eBay cheap, well I got what I paid for, so won't buy used cordless again, the battery pack was shot and is no longer available.
default_doh.gif
]

I'll be waiting to see if the Chromado's go on sale.

I LOVE my Osters! I have an old pair from the early 80's that have clipped hundreds of horses and even though they aren't pretty, they do an amazing job. I bought some Double Ks this past spring and they shorted on me after 2 clips. So I went back to my 30 year old clippers lol. I use my Double Ks when my Osters need a break. For heads and legs I use a cheap $20 clipper from wal mart-same kind my boyfriend uses to shave his head. They work great, last a long time, and are cheap
default_smile.png

I have 3 sets of clippers..

The double K's, yes I like them, but the cord annoys the begger out of me, I can not clip the legs, or underneath neatly at all the cord cant bend and I always find it in the road.

I have a set of Wahl KM 2, these are good, value for money clippers, but struggle in a heavy coat, great for quick tidy-ups

I just bought a set of Laube Lazor 503 clippers, and I am in love ! Ripped through a winter coat in 2 seconds flat, no struggle, no problems. The blades do get hot quickly, but I can also clip quickly, so I keep a set of blades on ice (literally), and I truly love these clippers =)

Love my cordless Andis Super AGR+, they are a reasonable price for a cordless clippers and they work great! I use them with the ceramic blades, and love the ceramic blades as well. Now that I've been "unplugged" for so many years, it would be really hard to switch back to a clipper with a cord!

Back