Clippers....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like my Laubes. I generally do at least 10 spring clips, plus numerous show clips throughout the year and they're fast and lightweight which makes it easy to get into those hard to reach places. The only reason I had to buy a new pair last year was because they were dropped and stepped on a few too many times (
default_wacko.png
) and finally split. Double K's cut well, but I have a really hard time with the cord in general let alone trying to get into those weird places. I can show them to you sometime once I find them if you'd like. I think they were 225$ and worth every cent.

I have a set of Andis Super 2 Speed AGC's. They are nice and were my first clippers, however, the best clippers I own and would recommend are Double K's. They sail through the coats, even dirty, even damp... they work SO well!!!

I was going to buy a Double K, but at the last moment was convinced to get a Wahl KM2 Speed. I still don't know if I would have been better off, but I really like my Wahl clippers and they are very smooth and easy to work with. I would recommend the Wahl.
I have the Wahl KM2s also, and they are really good clippers. when I had only one mini, they body clipped just fine. Now that I have 8 minis to strip in the spring, I use my husbands Clipmasters to strip the woolies off then when I can bathe them I use the Wahl's to clip. [Hubby bought the Clipmasters to use on cattle, look for brands and other stuff when they are in winter coat; so why not use what we already have. I ordered new blades for them, and then sent the old ones off for sharpening, so we have a couple extra blades.] The Clipmasters strip the woolies off very nicely, since its usually a dirty first clip, there are clipper tracks, but that's the operator not the clippers.

Osters and Andis are second rate compared to Double K's and Laube's, not something some are going to want to hear but they were not made to handle a minis thick coat. Only if you are planning on doing a few clips a year, forever, would I recommend one of those two. There is nothing wrong with them, both are nice clippers, just not for minis.

I have Double K's and like them, but hands down my Laube's were better. They ran quieter and I felt I got a smoother cut with them. Unfortunately my laubes have died (had them for over 10 years) and with owning a set of Double K's can not justify buying a new Laube right now. Laubes do not have quite the power the Double K's have but again they did run quieter, cooler and left a smoother cut.

Seems like you can contact Tony at Pro Cut for reconditioned models of the Double K's. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by a moderator:
Double K Clippers w/12' cable on sale right now at Double Diamond for $299.99
default_aktion033.gif

I have the Andis, AG 2-speed I think, and love them! I've had them for about 6 years now with no problems.
default_wink.png

Our first clippers were the Oster A5 clippers. But we purchased a pair of Double Ks last year from Double Diamond and we absolutely love them. Infact we just found a pair of Double K clippers in the sale paper the other day and went and bought that pair for a spare.

I have the Andis AG 2-speed clippers. I bought them in the Spring of 2002 when I got Dillion.

(7 years ago) I still have them and only them. It works like new everytime I use them. Granted, I DO clean and oil them throughly after each use. A set of blades will do 1 1/2 of my 35-38" mares. They never get hot, although the blades do. I let them cool down, let the horse rest and we go at it again. As far as sharpening the blades? No Charge for me! My farrier has a dog grooming business so he sharpens them for free for me
default_rolleyes.gif
Geez...$400.00 is way to much for us to spend on clippers. I am posting a pic of Ziggi as a foal beause to me their hair is much denser than an older horse to clip. This is Ziggi when we clipped her at 4 or 5 weeks with the Andis AG-2...And these clippers were 6 years old then. It took me about 45 min to clip her, and there are NO marks.

before, quite the wooly baby...

IMG_6853.jpg

IMG_6851.jpg

after using a #10 blade

IMG_6916.jpg

I had a set of Andis clippers that lasted 18 years! I loved them but when they finally died and I went to buy a new set I was convinced to try the Oster A5's. They were heavier, less ergonomic, noisier, and I hated them. They lasted LESS than 2 years. I then bought a set of Wahl KM2's. They are lightweight, quiet although not quite as quiet as the Andis, fit comfortably in your hand and will clip through anything. I LOVE THEM!!! I also have a set of Double K's that I use in the spring to remove the winter coats and to clip their bodies for show but I use my Wahl clippers for legs and faces because they are soooo much easier to maneuver than the Double K's and they are quieter for around the face and ears. I will use them alone for a really special show clip - they are soooo smooth. I also have a clipmaster that I used to use to remove the winter coats and they work great still but they are soooo heavy and noisy it isn't funny!!! The only thing I don't like about my Double K's is that the cord, although it swivels, seems to get hung up or something and all of a sudden you realize it is straining your wrist trying to keep it on the horse at the right angle.

Thank you all for your help
default_smile.png
. I had pair of Wahl Chromados but they disapeared before I got a chance to use them
default_no.gif
. I can't afford the Double Ks or the Laubes right now and for what little clipping I do (I don't show), i'm just looking for middle of the road clippers.

I can show them to you sometime once I find them if you'd like.
Sure, i'll take you up on that, would you come here and give me a demonstration on my colt?
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I've been clipper shopping and have it narrowed down to these 2, Andis AGP Super 2 Speed Clipper and Oster Golden A5 Heavy Duty 2 speed Clipper. I'd like some opinions from those that have them. Which one is the quieter one, stays cooler longer, easy to take care of, how long do they last and anything else that you can think of? TIA
HI Leslie, I have BOTH of these clippers and they are both perfect for clipping the entire Mini! I bought the Oster first and used that for the first year and was quite satisfied with them! I decided to add a second pair of clippers and someone had recomended the Andis so I bought that. My plan was to use both, when one heated up I could just turn on the other and not have to wait for a cooldown! Well I have to say, I no longer use the Oster. The Andis are much quieter and do not heat up as much! I can get threw an entire 32" mini without having to shut them down. (of course the blades heat up so I do change those throughout the clip job.) I'd say go with the Andis for sure!
default_yes.gif

~Tammy

I just got a set of the Andis as well and am very happy with them. They are definitely more quiet than the Oster and the clipper itself does not get hot at all. The blades of course do still heat up , but it seems less. I do feel that the clipping action is not quite as strong as with the Oster. My new set of Andis got broken in less than an hour of use, my daughter was using them and had a horse jerk up and pull the cord out of the wall. The little metal parts that go into the socket, one of them was broken off.
default_no.gif
My husband replaced the cord for me by splicing it with an extension cord. So, what started as you can imagine with one very upset woman, ended up with some really great clippers with a 25' cord! I love them!
default_wub.png
default_smile.png

I just got a set of the Andis as well and am very happy with them. They are definitely more quiet than the Oster and the clipper itself does not get hot at all. The blades of course do still heat up , but it seems less. I do feel that the clipping action is not quite as strong as with the Oster. My new set of Andis got broken in less than an hour of use, my daughter was using them and had a horse jerk up and pull the cord out of the wall. The little metal parts that go into the socket, one of them was broken off.
default_no.gif
My husband replaced the cord for me by splicing it with an extension cord. So, what started as you can imagine with one very upset woman, ended up with some really great clippers with a 25' cord! I love them!
default_wub.png
default_smile.png
Thanks for the info, I think i'm going to give the Andis a try.

Latest posts

Back