Clippers (again!) Oster users?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poniesrule

Reaction score
I know there are a lot of posts, but I was wondering who uses Oster? I have an opportunity to buy used twice Oster Golden A5. I know nothing about clippers for body clipping. I would be doing 2-3 horses only a couple times a year. I've be researching all brands and my head is spinning! I know it's personal preference, but I would like to get something that will work & last a few years. Thanks!

I have A5s and they are good. We have had them for a few years and have done many horse and dog clips. I do have some issues, but I think it is dirty blade related (not the clippers fault). They do heat up, but I don't think anything out of the ordinary.

Another good place to look for reviews is on Amazon.

I use A5 clippers for bridle paths, legs and faces. I like them. I know people who groom lots of horses and prefer higher end clippers as osters tend to run hot. For what you are using them for, I think they'll work well. Like ANY machine, proper cleaning and maintenance is the key to keeping them running. I hear of a lot of complaints from people about the A5s but find most of them do not oil the clippers properly, get the blades clean and sharpened or clip dirty horses. I have an old old old pair of A5s that have been passed thru the family and they work just as well as my new pair, only they have only one speed (thats why I bought new) I also body clip with a pair of 210 and old sunbeam 51a and they STILL work with proper cleaning. Oster is a good brand and you will easily be able to find parts if necessary. I personally think they're a good investment.

I had Oster A5s for a long time and they were okay but once I used better clippers there was no going back.

My Osters have got to be over 30 years old. Back in the day they were considered the best. We only did fetlocks and ears, bridle paths but no body shaving. I did find out real quick why people like to use a better clipper when it comes to minis. These Osters are one royal pain to do a body clip. You have to constantly shut them down because they get way too hot and then they take forever to cool down. I was there for days trying to mow through one horse because of it. I always have plenty of blades but that motor of the osters makes you wait for at least 30 minutes or more every time they run hot. I have double ks's now and I hear wahls have an excellent clipper on the market for a fraction of the cost of them also, so I'd be looking for something other than osters. Even for body clipping only two horses per year, its going to save you one huge headache.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I told my husband I was going to ask a few people what they thought. These are in like-new condition according to the seller, only used twice but sat for a year or so. And they're practically giving them away, so I think at least for the detail work they would be worth it? I will be checking them over next weekend, any advice on what to look for? Other than plugging them in?

For detail work, the Osters are fine, but as many said, once you use the higher end clippers, there's no looking back. For full body clips, I love my Double K's. I know a lot of people are starting to switch over to the Andis A5 because they are cordless and easier on the hand and arm. I can't afford a pair of those right now, but have used them and love them!

I use the Oster Clipmaster for the body, I really need a smaller clipper for the lower legs and head. I like the clipmaster, it works excellent, just to big and heavy for small areas.

I have Oster A-5, two pairs for two speed and my old old old original single speed ones. I love them. I keep blades well sharpened and I rotate them when I am body clipping. I also have a pair of the double K cable drive. I love them too. Each has it's purpose in a barn and if they are a good deal I don't think you can go wrong. Parts are easily available like someone else said and they are easy to maintain.

Latest posts

Back