Clipped my mare...WOW!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amyjoy85

Reaction score
I body clipped one of my mares today, minus her legs and whiskers, and wow. She looks good! She is shiny, especially when the sun hits her. Maybe that is why she was named Mini CBS Sensation Sun Kiss. I like to leave the legs unclipped for fly protection and also the whiskers. I don't like taking their "feelers". I only do if I have to (for a show). Her hair was pretty nasty-very sun affected and wiry feeling. Underneath, gorgeous and soft.

What color would you say she is? Her papers say sorrel. I'm guessing red roan, but she grays out more and more each year. She is 6 now if I remember right. She definitely needs to lose a little weight! She is our "little" pig.

BEFORE:

IMG_0676.JPGIMG_0678.JPG

AFTER:

IMG_0683.JPG

She's not red roan nor plain sorrel in my opinion.

Ahhh. Yay slow Internet for posting that three times in one posts.

Yay.

She looks like a normal sorrel to me. She maybe has some sabino or something at work if she is getting white hairs?? Very cute

also wanted to add that when you clip it fades their color out until it grows back a bit, that may be why you are thinking she is another color but as an owner of several sorrels, she is for sure a normal sorrel :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Chestnut/Sorrel
default_smile.png

I see stripped hooves which makes me suspect silver is hiding in there

I see stripped hooves which makes me suspect silver is hiding in there
Yes, she has striped hooves. Dam was a pinto (Nestucca Sparklett). Sire was Sierra Dawn Unos Bucks Sensation. I don't know anything about his coloring. Does anyone know anything about these two horses? I'm curious to know a little more about them if anyone knows.

She lightens up more each year. She has a couple of what look to be black spots, maybe about the size of a silver dollar, under her coat on her back, but very hard to see unless you are right over her and look close. Sadie has a big white spot on her stomach suggesting pinto. She also has a speckled nose and genital area. Her mane when it's not bleached by the sun is black and white all mixed together. Her tail is the same. Her face has TONS more white on it this year than last year. My guess would be there is silver somewhere too, but I'm just not sure. I don't want to spend $40 to get her color tested at this point. She has tons of white hair mixed in with the red, but mostly on her sides and rump. Her legs and neck are pretty red though without much white hair mixed in. I know a few big horses that were born a dark color and ended up being silver dapple, but I don't know too much about horse genetics.

Appears sorrel to me (my favorite color)
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back