Clipped coat growing in weird!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cayuse

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Could I please have some advice? My black mini was body clipped about six weeks ago. His summer coat did not start coming in until about three weeks ago. He is now a patchy gray and black with the black hair longer. From a distance he looks lime he has giant dapples but up close he looks just plain strange.

Will this fill in?

I do not mind a bit of a thicker coat as long as he is black. We are showing in two weeks and I don't know whether to clip again or let it fill in. The shows we go to are not rated and you are not penalized for not "show clipping".

What do you all think?

I don't want to clip again and then have this weird phase all over again. Should I wait it out? Clip?

Thanks!

Thanks! This is good to know. I have never had it happen before with my big guys so this was a surprise. A goofy looking surprise.

I would say with the show coming up that soon go ahead and re-clip so the color will be uniform but don't expect the hair to be black by then.

It does look like pig hair! Or it did. He looked so awful this morning I clipped him. I probably should have waited until next week, but it was a nice day and I was motivated.

He looks much more presentable.

I did keep him covered after the first clip, but it did not seem to help. I maybe clipped too early or maybe it's just the way his coat is. He looked pretty good for his first show, and then the "pig hair" appeared.

Thank you all for the advice!

Back