chronic illness?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slaneyrose

Reaction score
Hi everyone
default_smile.png
I have had Fibromyalgia and CFS for 18yrs now (diagnosed by a rhumatologist from symptoms and pain points) which has got progressively worse especially in the past 5yrs. I find it very difficult some days to see to the horses but feel it is good for me to have to look after them as I at least am destracted from the pain for a short while and movement is suppose to help! I wonder how many of you have chronic illness`s and how you manage your horse care,has it caused you to have to cut down on numbers and have you got any labour saving tips that help you care for your horses?? I have a 14hh connemara/arab cross mare that I ride when I`m able, as well as my mini herd, and have trained her to "jog" like a quarter horse or other western style horses gait and this has really helped me be able to ride AND ENJOY riding her although I dont get to do it regularly because of the pain.
default_sad.png
I know there must be a lot of chronic illness`s and conditions amongst you and would like to hear how you cope.

I know there must be a lot of chronic illness`s and conditions amongst you and would like to hear how you cope.
:saludando: By the sheer grace of God!
default_yes.gif
:

Lifting you in prayers for same.
default_wub.png
:

Cope? One day at a time. If I try and plan further out than that, it hurts all the more when I cant manage. For me, I have good and bad days, right now I am not on treatment so its not quite so bad, still have symptoms, but they really blow up on treatment. On treatment I'm lucky if I can even get to the store every couple weeks. Add that I end up on so much medication that I am a ditz and hate all the more going into public.

I did sell off horses when I started treatment and realized how bad off I would be. Seems like I didnt even live for 4 years. I also taught hubby how to feed and care for the critters. Had 3 big horses during all that, didnt ride at all for those 4 years, barely groomed, but they were loved.

Its hard knowing that life will always be like this. Even harder having an invisible dissability because since people cant see it, obviously its not there and we must be faking it
default_wacko.png
: Its hard to get Drs to listen, if not downright impossible.

I dont know what I would have done if it werent for the critters. No matter how bad I felt, they were always there.

Just take it day by day. Take any supplement that may help ( cetyl-m.com , this stuff is wonderfull for joints!), ditto w/meds. Ask for help when you need it and dont be ashamed to ask! Keep in touch w/friends, I know this can be near impossible, but try, dont isolate yourself. Ride when you can. Exercise , yoga is great. Maybe keep some type of journal with all your symptoms, I have a definite pattern , which helps me to know what to expect.

The best one can

Last edited by a moderator:
My little 9 year old sister has Polyarticular(6 or more places) Cyratic(a skin disease related to rheumatoid arthritis) Juvenille(child) Rheumatoid ARthritis(sp??). She went to the doctor Wednesday and over the next 6 weeks she is going off her pills gradually. If she does good for a year, she is considered in remission. We have also discovered over the past 4 years that her pills and arthritis cause her to have epilectic like bleed outs woth a scratch she will bleed non stop for 4 days wothout medicine. We have had bad scares and she has gone through so much in olny 9 years of her life. My parents are still getting used to it and baby her sometimes so I have to speak up and say that it's not right.

My sister is a living example that GOD IS GOOD AND GREAT. :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I will give updates on her and let her say hi every once and a while. She enjoys working with a Black and white gelding named Robin :bgrin .

BTW, our closest freind Eric, he found out he has cancer on his wife's birthday and he says that his cancer is the devil, trying to kill him and take his soul and turn him evil. He is becoming a astor. Another example GOD IS GREAT!! :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033:

I had a mini-stroke last year. They call it a T I A so I have let up on challenging myself so much and try not to be so fussy about some things anymore.

I learned rather quickly that if I don't groom the horses every day that they will not die from dirt. They get a brushing down daily but I leave the big going over for the weekends.

If I am 15 mintues late feeding, they will not starve.

I don't scrub out buckets with the cleaner and brush anymore every day. I just dump the dirty water out and rinse and refill and leave the scrubbing to the weekend.

I'll clip now once a month instead of every other week.

I don't use hoof dressing daily unless someone really needs it.

I don't feel like I am skimping on chores. Nobody is the worse for wear.

I'm not afraid to ask for help now either from the boys. I don't start a huge chore unless I know I can finish it. I'll ask for help in advance before I screw it all up. I delagate chores too. I don't have to do everything by myself when they are home.

I chose not to breed every mare on the place all at once. I don't want to be over run with horses and get in over my head. .

I learned how to take care of me. It's about time.

: , i suffer fromasthma and arthritis in my knees, its very depressing, especially the astma as it can give me an attack anytime, usually when walking the horses round the park, ive had to shuffle up the road to the stables,and ive broke a read light speeding to get home to take my nebulisers :eek: i almost died two years ago with the flu,as i couldnt breath, so its very frustrating having to remember i cany leave the house unless i take my sprays EVERYWERE !! IF I FEEL my chest is tight i will do the bare nessesitys,{almost a song from the jungle book there lol} then on good days i will do as much as i can untill the next time, it doesnt help having very bad sinuses so i cant breath through my nose or smel anything,which can be handy when you live with my husband after too much curry lol :lol:

I am sure this will not work for every one but my DIL and her mom both have Fibromyalgia. They have both been doing a low carb diet. They say the difference in the pain from the Fibro is amazing. My DIL goes on and off the low carb but every time she goes off of it the pains get bad again.

Just last week she was saying how she had had a pain free week. That she almost feels like a "normal person".

One day at a time. You sound like me, you would be worse off without the horses.

I have CMP and Riding makes me feel better, but I have to ride a small smooth gaited horse. Have you looked into seeing if there are any in your area?

It does make a big difference. If I ride my Fjord I hurt worse, if I ride my Icelandic I feel better.

My DS does help out with the chores. At some point I am going to have to figure out how to get things done myself.

To make things easier for me, the riding horses are kept in rain sheets in the winter and fly sheets in the summer when it stops raining. They stay clean and is much easier on my body.

My Mini's are normally clipped when the weather gets warm. However this year is really strange.

Am hoping to get easy to clean insulated Auto waterers this summer. Will make it easier over all and much easier in the winter when we get freezing weather.

Also going to buy a little riding lawn mower and get attachments to make it easier for me to clean the pastures.

There are lots of ways to make things more easy.
default_yes.gif
:

I can tell you that sometimes it sucks and I thank God every day for my wonderful husband. I have asthma but can control that. I have been suffering off and on for years before it all came together this past fall and then hit the fan in January. Between the Duke University hospital and a great rheumatologist I am able to do a lot more than in the past six months but even one day of bad heat and boy do I remember! Steroids suck, but they are a lot better than the alternative. I have learned to stop, not take on so much and to take better care of myself along with managing stress better. Faith is a big help too. I have also found a lot of natural healing techniques that help as much as any pain medicine--as long as I don't push myself too hard.

-Amy

default_yes.gif
:

default_wub.png
:

Thanks SWA
default_wub.png
:

Shane...LOL re: Billy`s curry "problem"

Shari...what is CMP? I did look into getting a gaited horse but then got my mare last year who is soooo easy to train and willing to please that I was able to train her to trot so smoothly shes the most comfortable horse I ever rode :) I`ll never part with her!!! Your other ideas are good too....will have to start saving!! lol

Kiddorox, your poor little sister!! That is such an awful desease.

Pepipony, I totally can relate to you.....it is a horrible illness as it permeates every aspect of your life...immune functions, concentration, physical and emotional problems and the lack of energy to do simple things is like being paralized at times isnt it? Its good to hear that others also find the horses so therapuetic...I`d be lost without them and my dogs.

Good idea bout the low carb diet....I will give that a try. thanks! :)

I swear I am gonna go ballistic on the poor person that catches me on a bad day and says 'but you look so good!?' its like they are saying that but meaning 'so you cant be sick'. This is made only worse by my only getting out on my good days. Have learned to keep everything well stocked and can go a month without leaving LOL

Having been extremely active for decades ( motto as child was why walk when you can run) its hard to come to grips with the fatigue. Not being able to vacuum the entire house in one go. Saddling up only to get so tired from it that you have to go rest. Waking up just as tired as when you went to bed. Ohh and the not being able to plan anything. Who knows how you'll feel that day? Easier to just hope you can do whatever you wanted to.

I have heard of people having great relief on the low/no carb diet. I couldnt do it, am SUCH a carb hog
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Critters are the best medicine. When I feel really pucky my blind dog will not leave my side, no matter where I go. he was like that before he lost his sight, but now he is most comfortable on his bed. My big ol horse was great too, he would just stand and let me lean on him. Too bad he wasnt a tiny dude, would have loved to come in and watch TV w/me :lol:

default_yes.gif
:

default_wub.png
:

Shari...what is CMP? I did look into getting a gaited horse but then got my mare last year who is soooo easy to train and willing to please that I was able to train her to trot so smoothly shes the most comfortable horse I ever rode :) I`ll never part with her!!! Your other ideas are good too....will have to start saving!! lol

HI,

It is Chronic myofascial pain. Got that from a car accident a number of years ago. Have learned a lot about dealing with chronic pain. Most important thing is never to give up, enjoy even the smallest of things and take one day at a time.
default_yes.gif
:

I would not be able to do what I can now,, if I did not have Dyfra to ride. It is only a few little things I can do,, but I am so happy to be able to do them. :lol: Glad you have a good mare to ride! Makes a difference!

Glad I can be at least a little help!

I swear I am gonna go ballistic on the poor person that catches me on a bad day and says 'but you look so good!?' its like they are saying that but meaning 'so you cant be sick'. This is made only worse by my only getting out on my good days. Have learned to keep everything well stocked and can go a month without leaving LOL

Having been extremely active for decades ( motto as child was why walk when you can run) its hard to come to grips with the fatigue. Not being able to vacuum the entire house in one go. Saddling up only to get so tired from it that you have to go rest. Waking up just as tired as when you went to bed. Ohh and the not being able to plan anything. Who knows how you'll feel that day? Easier to just hope you can do whatever you wanted to.

I have heard of people having great relief on the low/no carb diet. I couldnt do it, am SUCH a carb hog
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Critters are the best medicine. When I feel really pucky my blind dog will not leave my side, no matter where I go. he was like that before he lost his sight, but now he is most comfortable on his bed. My big ol horse was great too, he would just stand and let me lean on him. Too bad he wasnt a tiny dude, would have loved to come in and watch TV w/me :lol:
Oh my I know that feeling. I dread hearing but you look ok, there can't be any thing wrong.
default_wacko.png
:
default_rolleyes.gif
: All the time they are thinking you are lazy. :no: Still makes me feel bad,, though I know it should not.

Also have the same problem,, I can't make any plans either. Though I am learning to live with that.

At any time I can have a flare up, and thats it.

Pa.... who needs to vacuum... don't you know Dust bunnies are the new trend. ( I can't vacuum either..so that sounds good! :lol: )

I have problems with a 17lb saddle... so I bought a 8lb and a 10lb saddles.

I believe too the animals are a great help in making us feel better.
default_wink.png
:

Oh,, a pure Merino fleece matress cover will help a lot. It keeps ones body from going numb or having pinched nerve problems. Takes a little to maintain but well worth it.

Pa.... who needs to vacuum... don't you know Dust bunnies are the new trend. ( I can't vacuum either..so that sounds good! )

:lol: :aktion033: :lol: Well I am SOOO Trendy then!! Dust bunnies breeding in my house!! lol

Its so good to hear from ones who know what it is like....I too had to give up a lovely Berney (best saddle made in Ireland) saddle for a synthetic one because of the weight. And the friends who get annoyed with me when I cant make social arrangements (which is often!) cos I "look" ok and how can I have horses and be ill??! I have had to learn to not care what others think of my very restricted life, true friends may not understand the illness but are patient. One of my biggest frustrations is getting horse/s ready for a show.....then being to ill to go!! Has that happened to any of you? Isnt it the pits?
default_crybaby.gif
:

We have to be our own best friends and treat ourselves the way we would a loved one who had this, thats what I find helps me not to feel guilty or lazy coz its only on the really good days that I realise how ill I am the rest of the time!

edited to correct grammar!

Latest posts

Back