christmas parade ideas

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky Horat

Reaction score
A group of us are thinking of taking our Minis through a Christmas light parade. We will be getting lots of battery operated lights. Trying to get ideas of how to dress them and us. I know I've seen photos shared of Christmas parades in the past. Would love to see them and get ideas. We're thinking of dressing them as reindeer, but open to suggestions. Any ideas?

I was thinking of bringing Dev to our Christmas parade in November? Just dont know if he can handle all of the lights....

I was thinking, if it would work, dressing him as a reindeer and me as an elf, or maybe he should be the little elf LOL.

I just dont know how reindeer antlers would fit on their halters??? Oh well...

I like the reindeer idea!!!!

What a great thread, can't wait to see more ideas!
default_yes.gif

Here we are in a parade last year. 2011 Oostburg Parade 2.jpgIMG_1295.JPG

This year we are planning on putting 3 carts in a parade. My 8 yr old granddaughter will drive our viceroy. Pictures in a month!

usually the route is pretty well lit so having some sparkling lights on manes and on the cart is enough. Be sure to secure the cord end/battery pack of the light string securely as that is usually where you will have failure. I zip tie mine, but this year I think I will also wrap it with vet wrap. It's amazing how it will jiggle loose, no matter how well you think you have it secured.

I think bells are good. Mine have a string of those bells that people hang on doors. I attach it to the breast collar. I also made some velcro cuffs with bells to put on their legs.

I know people have used tree skirts on their horses.

fourluckyhorseshoes - Love the Santa blankets!! Did you make these? Darling.

Shalakominiatureshowhorses - I didn't think of being an elf...hmmmm...like that one. We've actually put lots of little headbands on our horses and they fit great!! We used antlers last year when we delivered goodies to the neighborhood. Devil horns for Halloween. The $1 store ones did great.

Sandee - Great photos. Hopefully next year we'll be brave enough to drive through. Can't wait to see the Viceroy photos.

Marsha - Thanks for the advice on fastening the light batteries. What would we do without zip ties and vetrap? or baling twine and duct tape? Didn't think about the bells. So glad holiday stuff is out early...as irritating as it is to wade through Christmas decorations at Halloween.

Thanks guys!!

I just ordered my battery lights today on ebay. They come from China so it's good to order early. I used these last year and got lots of compliments on their brilliant color, so I thought I'd get more. They don't last well under heavy useage, which taking a driving hrose in a parade is definitely! By the time you zip tie them, twist them through manes, jog around for an hour or so, remove them--it's usually too much wear and tear on them. I'm glad this topic was started, as it got me motived to make parade plans!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310495003800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Sometimes the dollar stores have them, but I live so far from a city that I can't trust happening onto good lights, so I'm just ordering online. I hate buying Chinese stuff, but sometimes there are limited options.

Also, I used my hrose blanket as a pattern to make a red sequined cover for my driving horse. I got the fabric at Walmart. It doesn't sew very well on the sewing machine because of the sequins; I had to sew on the binding by hand. I don't have a photo of him yet wearing it but I think it will look really attractive in a parade. He is such a good, patient boy wearing all the junk I put on him!

All the battery operated lights you can buy at hardware stores, Walmart anywhere they sell Christmas lights now here in Ontario and I think start at 8.99.

I have used them for the last 3 years and they last for more than one season. Great idea though and it works great and the horses dont mind them at all.

Another idea I wore wreaths around their necks from the dollar store I just decorated them and put them on them and my guys just walked around like

it was a everyday thing.

Cant wait for the parades to start.

We are in Fort Worth's Parade of Lights, and they have set lighting requirements. Something like 75 lights per horse and 1500 lights per carriage! Fortunately they waived that for us- we'd have been one big glowing ball of light!

What we did was buy battery packs and converters, and use net lights on the horses and ourselves! Plus we added a string of lights on our carts. Make sure you use LEDs or regular lights drain the batteries too fast.

The horse and carts were blue and white, and the walkers were red and green. We used nets on them, too- the walkers were green and looked liked trees!!! Unfortunately, we didn't get any pix. It was the "hurry up and wait", and all of a sudden GO GO GO!

We are in again this year and if anyone locally would like to join us, please do! And if you aren't local and wanna play, hey, c'mon down! And if you don't have a Mini and would like to play, we can fix that- plenty to play with!!!

Today is actually "go through the Christmas stuff" day- see what needs fixed, replaced and updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a jumpstarter/battery pack with an inverter and led lights on the cart/buggy. I use battery lights on the wheels with the battery case taped solid to the hub. I made an attachment for the shafts that I run lights and garland on. Last year I had sparly snowflakes and candles. My horse had a blinking Rudolph nose. I bought battery lights last year on clearance for 75% off. They even play music! We'll see how that works.

Whatever you do, be sure to have a couple of dress rehersals at home first.

How about lights in the spokes?

Whatever you do, be sure to have a couple of dress rehersals at home first.

How about lights in the spokes?
We did lights in the spokes with battery pack lights. Bear to put on and b***h to get off!!! But they looked marvelous!

Latest posts

Back