Christmas Costumes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmyracker

Reaction score
I am thinking of walking my mini in the local Christmas Parade. I was wondering if there is somewhere that sales costumes, hats, etc., for mini horses? I can't sew
default_no.gif

I put reindeer ears on my minis but that is nothing too exciting. I would love to hear idea. I like to do my xmas card with my minis.

Buy your horse an inexpensive red or green stable sheet.

Get out the glue gun and glue some fake white fur or felt around it for trim.

You can also use strands of garlands and make a fun collar of jingle bells.

Use wash off glitter on the hoofs, braid the mane, forelock and tail in lovely ribbons.

Little horsey antlers are cute too.

Get some pretty festive sparkle ribbon and glue it on your halter and also wind it around your lead rope.

Be sure you dress festive also to match!

I dressed up my mare for a costume class as "Christmas". I put a western saddle on her, used a poinsettia garland around her neck (no bells), put a bear wearing sunglasses in the saddle, a little bear sitting in a wreath behind the big bear, red and gold ribbing flowing from her tail. I meant to hang some stockings and small wreaths on each side, but forgot to add them (oops). I could have done a little more if I had more time to put it together but it was a last minute thing. It was cute and simple and I already had all the stuff.

We do garlands, glitter, ribbons braided in manes/tails. Get a red or green halter, go to Wally World and buy sew on sparkles in the cloth/arts section. I sew this on the halters so they glitter all over in the sun. I bought mini antlers at a craft fair before Christmas, just perfect (also look at large dog costumes if you have a smaller mini). In the summer in July 4th parades, we do the same with banners tied around the neck to be patriotic. Those little tie-on favors that go on packages to dress them up can be used as "conchos" on halters- like mini poinsettas, etc. I just make sure nothing is poking them.

Lots of glue, crafty stuff makes them stand out. Be sure and try on at home first and let them get used to it!

How did I just know Marty would reply? haha

Im thinking about doing the same with Midas.

I may even take it to the extent of dressing myself up as an elf, and convincing someone to let me make them a present.

I was going to get a cheap red sheet(horse jammies), glue some white fur to it, then get a santa hat, and somehow cut little slits in it so that the crown piece of his halter would slip through the slits to hold it on. As far as hoofs, if I do anything it will brobably just be black bell boots. I may try to find a really simple black surcingle to use as santas belt.

Now, I have to see what parades would allow us there. Theres a light up night with a parade in my town, Im going to check into it. I think they have fire trucks though, so Im not sure what midas will think of that.

Oh my gosh I remember those pictures E.

Thanks for posting them. I really enjoyed that and there are loads of great ideas there.

Back