Christmas and economy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you spend this christmas

• Same than last year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Less than last year

• More than last year

• Wished I could spend..

• Total voters

littlesteppers

Reaction score
Just nosey
default_saludando.gif

It's gonna be a cheapo Christmas for me. For the first time in 22 years our company didn't make a profit this quarter, which means no bonus check.....
default_bye-sad.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif

Lucy

yep, barely scraping by here too. I will get for the little niece and nephews, but thats it. Hubby and I will have to make do with each other.
default_rolleyes.gif

I haven't done the baking gifts in a long time........but this year I'm going to. Have too many families with kids and we can't give to them all the way we'd like to.

I am going to spend less but it's not because of the economy. I had decided this way before this meltdown that is affecting many more countries than just the U.S. Our main gift giving in the last few years has of course been our grandaughter, Makayla and it has truly got out of hand. For the last couple of years we keep saying the same thing to each other in the family, saying we are going to tone it down. So many gifts under the tree you can't move in the living room
default_wacko.png
. It is not necessary and certainly is ridiculous. I usually give money to my grown children as it's easier on me and because of the mega sales (boxing day sales) after Christmas the money will go 3 time further than if I bought before plus they get to buy what they really want or need. I do however buy for my mom and dad since they are not ones to go out shopping often because of mobility and their age. I usually buy one or two things for my husband, things he really wants and I usually buy it way before Christmas so the Christmas shopping pressure aren't there. I can't stand shopping just before Christmas when I feel that people are at their worst and in a panic to buy whatever and also easier on the pocket book, or it gives that impression, if you buy something when you see it, whatever time of year it is. As far as me receiving gitruly wish Christmas would only be what it should be for me anyway, a religious holiday. My fun at Christmas is having my house full of family and friends. That truly is the best gift I could EVER receive and ones that means more to me than anything that can be bought.

I might have said less but was dong some closet cleaning lately and came across some gifts that I had bought earlier this year and had forgotten about. So, there are a bunch of gifts I won't need to buy. Maybe I should do some more cleaning and see what I have hidden away and forgotten about.

The last two months have been very tight for us and business is not booming as it should, but I am a budget nut case and I have lived like that on a budget for a good many years. I budget for Christmas all year long starting with January of each new year. I never touch that money until shopping day. I don't care if the house blows up, that money is set aside for Christmas presents period. It is a pretty strict budget, modest I suppose compared to some, and I cannot exceed it. No charge cards, none of that. We don't spend hardly a dime on ourselves during the year. We don't go anywhere, we don't ever see a movie, I don't get my hair and nails done, etc. we don't buy ourselves clothes or anything, and vacations are non-existant, so come Christmas time, I shop reasonably, carefully, nothing extravagant, and I love every minute of it. Included in the budget is also the family Christmas tree, wrapping paper and ribbons and bows, general supplies, MORE LIGHTS, and all the extra food that I purchase at holiday time that my weekly grocery allowance wouldn't normally cover.

Nobody really knows this but Dan, the Hus, and I have accumulated 4 wonderful little kids this year from a situation that arose from my extended family. They left us in August but they are going to come back "home" to us in time for Christmas and we hope they can stay. I plan on making them a wonderful holiday with gifts for them too. So I answered yes that I will be spending a bit more than last year with the children and glad to do it.

If I can work it out, I'm actually planning to spend a little more. Keep in mind I spent about $50 last year, total, and I have more people to buy for this year. Now, if that'll happen or not, we'll see!

I am already doing my X-mas shopping, though. Bit by bit as I can afford it.

I already have my gifts wrapped and ready for Christmas. I shopped early using the lakeside.com catalog. With shipping included, I was able to buy for 10 family members for under $140. Now I won't have to face Chritmas rush, and only have to buy for hubby and our son....they are the easy ones....they like money
default_smile.png

Hopefully pretty much the same as last year. With emphasis on handmade crafty gifts, family gatherings, and holiday goodies. That makes our holidays so much richer!

MUCH less. Making many things and buying for the grandson only. Times are tight!

I'll be spending less this year then last. Being an art major I'll be making a lot more of my own gifts this year.

Or a good fall back, buy the $1 stockings at walmart and get some scribble paint and write the name of the person who its to on it. I usually stuff them with an assortment of chocolates, and some trinkets that match the personality of the person who their to. Last year I stuffed some with scarves that I made
default_smile.png

~Megan

It will be less here too..It will be hard..Business channel said today prices will plunge..they said there will be plasma flat pannels out there..pretty good size..for under 500 bux
default_new_shocked.gif

We focus on family, fun and food rather than buying...we have never spent much at Christmas, so this year is no different.

Probably the same as last year...mom does most of the shopping though. I always do my part as well, kind of wait until last minute.

Sadly, i spend more on the dog then i do anyone else
default_rolleyes.gif
. I think last year my receipts came to $120'ish just for the dog....

We will do about the same as last year but we're not big time shoppers. I really look forward to having the time with my parents' and my sister's family and seeing my nephews get their gifts. For the past several years, H and I gift to each other is we take several days - the week after Christmas off and just spend it together, going to lunch, taking naps, movies, etc., and buy ourselves some kind of "big" gift we'd both enjoy. I love Christmas now for the time together and the time between it and New Years with H.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me same than last year. I did not spend very much i bought some things and the other i made my self. I love making things
default_wub.png

Leslie

Less.

but thats because i went a little crazy last year because i had a job and was all excited that i could buy people pricey gifts. This year I have rent to pay and a car loan....and car insurance *insert scary music here*
default_laugh.png

me and my boyfriend have a "budget goal" that we would like to reach for x-mas gifts and decorations. I would say we are 3/4 of the way there.

Well, last year we drew names and set limits as my brother was getting overwhelmed buying for both extended families...I was feeling the pinch too. There are only 3 kids among about 20 adults...we all still got things for the kids. Seemed like the adults just said, "I want this"...one big item or several small...felt kinda impersonal.-- Like all the adults should have bought their own gift, wrapped it, and stuck it under the tree! Throughout the year, we all kinda buy stuff we want, when we need or want it...when and if, possible. SO, this year we are going back to getting individual gifts and setting a smaller limit. This makes it a much bigger job than finding gifts for 3 kids and one adult! I'm going to focus on the kids and may cop out and buy some gift cards for the fussy adults. Long gone are the days when they appreciate homemade gifts... I may make some movies for them though! My girlfriend sent some personalized stationary last Christmas.. Couldn't believe all of the Christmas stuff out on shelves already...

Back