Choosing a Stallion for your mare?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Taylor Jo

I have a almost 3 yo black and white pinto mare and am thinking about next year of breeding her. Right now I show her in halter. I'm just considering it as something I might like to do, and then my mare I would put back to showing. I'm not sure whether I would keep the foal or sell it.

Here are my questions. I know of two stallions that two people that are my friends who I HIGHLY regard that I thought I'd like to possibly choose from . However, the problem is one shows A and the other is AMHA furtuity Nominated. I show R, I don't show A so if you have a sire with a good show record, in A and NOT in R does that REALLY matter, OR does it just matter to the individual? If you were buying an A/R horse would you want to see the sires show record from R, or would it matter what registry?

Does it matter when their show record was done or just that they had one?

When do you start looking for that stallion?

Do you have to promote your mare to be choosen to be bred by a stallion or how does it go?

How do you know whether to choose a solid or a pinto? I did contact an Animal Genetics place to get her tested to find out whether she carries the pinto gene or not. Is it just a matter of preference that you go with a solid or a pinto?

IF she does have the pinto gene will she throw a pinto if I breed her to a solid?

She's 32" do I try to ONLY breed to a 32" and under to make sure she's safe?

As you can tell I've NEVER bred a mini before so this is all new to be. I can't believe I'm even entertaining the idea. I thought well I'll see and get some idea's and see what I come up with.

Thanks for helping me. Any answers will be appreciated. TJ

Hi, TJ --

I like AMHR best, but to me, a good show record in either AMHR or AMHA is impressive. To me the classes that catch my attention are pretty much just halter and driving (that's just me and my preference). Recent is better than dated, too, but a nice show horse from 10 years ago can still produce what's winning today -- you just have to really look because a lot has changed in the past decade.

If I had a mare I was looking to breed to an outside stallion, I'd be keeping my eyes open all along for a nice stallion I felt would compliment her.

As far as size, I would not focus on the height. I'd focus on the build. If she were mine, I'd breed her to a 34" FINE boned stallion long before I'd breed her to a 30" stocky built one. I really think the refinement is much more the issue than the height... Two of my best foals are out of maiden mares that are a couple inches shorter than the sire, but both sires are very finely made. Last year's Cover Girl (out of a 32" mare and 34" stallion) and this year's Piper (out of a 30.5" mare and a 33" stallion) are the foals, and the mares had them w/o any issues at all. The foals are very nice and favoring the mares' height range.

Good luck! Having foals can really be an exciting and gratifying experience.

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try to answer the questions as best as I can but a lot of them are really an opinion thing and everyone will probably tell you something different.

Here are my questions. I know of two stallions that two people that are my friends who I HIGHLY regard that I thought I'd like to possibly choose from . However, the problem is one shows A and the other is AMHA furtuity Nominated. I show R, I don't show A so if you have a sire with a good show record, in A and NOT in R does that REALLY matter, OR does it just matter to the individual? If you were buying an A/R horse would you want to see the sires show record from R, or would it matter what registry?
I personally like horses with a show record in A but will still look at ones in R. It doesnt really matter which one for the most part because if they have a show record then they must be a fairly decent horse. I dont trust show records entirely however because a lot of the time I see a cowhocked gaingly looking horse winning because it is led in by a trainer but I see that more in the R shows and that is why I prefer A although I mainly show R because there are limited A shows in my area
default_unsure.png

Does it matter when their show record was done or just that they had one?
To me it doesnt matter that much when they had it since a lot of people show them for a few years or until they acheive their goals and then retire them for breeding.

When do you start looking for that stallion?
I would start looking for a stallion at least a year ahead of time because you could pick on and then find one you like more and also in order to find a stallion with all of the characteristics you want to make the best cross with your mare takes a while. I am constanly looking at stallions even though I have my own but I like to get some different bloodlines every now and then but wont do it unless it is the perfect stallion.

Do you have to promote your mare to be choosen to be bred by a stallion or how does it go?
I am not entirely sure on this question since I have yet to actually breed my mares to outside studs. I would assume however that it is not necessary but would probably help in the situation but most breeders would look at the mare and decide just from her qualities and deciding if she would be a good cross with their stallion.

How do you know whether to choose a solid or a pinto? I did contact an Animal Genetics place to get her tested to find out whether she carries the pinto gene or not. Is it just a matter of preference that you go with a solid or a pinto?
This is totally a guess for anyone unless there is a homozygous horse involved. If your mare carries pinto then she could throw a pinto with either horse but it is still for the most part a 50/50 chance with the solid or pinto. I have bred two pintos and gotten a solid more often than I have with breeding a solid to a pinto. I would just recommend choosing the best out of the two and the one that will be the best cross with your mare. Color should only matter after conformation is at its best, there are different people who like different colors, some like solids and some like pinto so your safe either way
default_wink.png

IF she does have the pinto gene will she throw a pinto if I breed her to a solid?
I think I answered this in above question.

She's 32" do I try to ONLY breed to a 32" and under to make sure she's safe?
I personally would. Especially since she is a maiden mare. We are trying to make the smallest possible perfect horse anyways so why breed bigger and risk the mare and make a bigger baby?

The only other thing I would like to add is that you make sure your mare is physically ready to breed, I bred a mare too early once and it was way more trouble than it was worth and we lost the baby anyways. Make sure that her hip is fully formed and has a good depth and looks like it could handle the delivery.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice
default_biggrin.png
!

Remember, A foal is always a risk to the mare also. Are you just looking for the foaling experience or wanting to get a replace for down the road?

The "End Result" is what you are planning for in choosing a Sire; even though it is a guessing game! If you produce an "R" mini you slice your sales arena in half(?). If the sire is not both "A" & "R" = may result in hardshipping fees to end owner. A proven Sire is always easier to market. We have a mare never shown but has produced several National Champions. So show records just add to the marketing. THE FOAL is what is SOLD or KEPT; not the parents; they just add to the possibilities of a desirable foal.

Everyone sees a mini in different light as our eyes & thought processes are as vaired the weather.

The best being bred to the best has a better chance of a better foal. But throw-backs of generations past continue to pop-up daily; no results are a guarentee.

Choose what you love, then do the research to give the foal the best chance to reach those goals.

Thanks you guy's you've really helped me a lot. If I chose a stallion it would definitely be an A/R registry. I'll have to think long and hard as to whether I want a pinto or a solid and like you say it's 50/50 gamble. I'm glad you pointed out chosing refinement over size to me as I didn't think of that as that is important. As well as making sure she can even HANDLE giving birth. These things are so very important and things I would have have over looked being new at this. I thank you all for your comments, suggestions and imput, I value it a lot. I guess I'll start looking and getting an idea of what's out there and I will have her checked for the pinto gene just so I know, see what my odds are!!!!! 'Feather' About whether it's wanting the experience or replacement of the foal? I think it's more the experience with my mare. I love her dearly and think she'd make such a great mother. She mothers everything that comes along, she mothers my two colts and my dogs, so the experience with her to see her blossom in a different way. Thanks again, TJ

Last edited:
I will have her checked for the pinto gene just so I know, see what my odds are!!!!! Thanks again, TJ
There are several different "Pinto" genes. Usually, when one thinks of Pinto, they are thinking of the Tobiano gene. Tobiano can be tested for and if homozygous, will always pass on that gene, although it could be in minimal form. I have two Black mares with very minimal markings and many people would consider them Solid, but they are in fact tested as Tobiano. SB1 is the only Sabino pinto gene that can be tested for. In homozygous form, it will produce a maximum White. In heterozygous form, it may only be socks, blaze, or minimal roaning. LWO (Frame) is the one you really need to be concerned about. In homozygous form, it is deadly. In heterozygous form, it can produce some really wild and beautiful patterns. Just be sure not to breed two horses together if both have the LWO gene. There is no test for Splashed White. It can also produce wildly marked foals in homozygous form or simply minimal markings in heterozygous form.

I was just on the other post about Tobiano's trying to figure out what my horses were. It's all so confusing for me. I didn't know that about the LWO gene. So when you ASK to be tested how in the heck do you know what to ask too be tested for? I don't have a clue to even what to ask for. I was going to send the hair in, but don't know what test to ask for..... Thanks for the valuable insight. TJ

Honestly, proven show records in any registry are good IMO. I don't see that as a problem there. Now it depends on how long it has been and what kind of classes they were shown in. Another thing is Futurity. Are you interested in having this baby AMHR Futurity Nominated? Honestly now that they have seperated the driving classes there are HUGE reasons why I would want a Futurity Nominated baby in AMHR, but thats just me.

Again like I said I do think it matters when this show record has taken place and what kind of classes. I say when you look at 10+ years in the past you got to admit it has changed so much since then, but still if they can produce show quality foals of today that really backs it up. Also I do take my look in halter/driving classes for a stallion.

I would start looking around now. Just get an idea at what you like and don't like. See whats winning today.

I think you would have to give reasons why that persons stallion should breed your mare. What are you expecting of this baby. What has the mare done. What are her bloodlines like, etc... The stallion's owner is going to protect the stallion's name.

You have to decide whether you want to produce pinto or not. In halter I would prefer to see more of the solids, in driving pintos to make them flashy. Not saying I would prefer it that way but thats the way I see it. Who knows if you breed pinto X pinto you may not get a pinto. Honestly, I wouldn't worry on color.

You must look at the way she is built plus the way the stallion is built. You don't want to breed her too something thats real stocky built if she is teeny tiny refined. I would personally look for something that is 32" and under. If you want something that is A/R you are going to have too look out for height here and make sure that baby doesn't go over.

At the end result, you want to find a stallion that best compliments your mare. Thats the most important thing.

Taylor,

You always ask very interesting questions!
default_aktion033.gif

I think you're on the right track with only breeding to a double registered horse. It just leaves a lot of options open for you (or the new owner if you sell the resulting foal) for the future. And I totally agree with the comment about body build being more important than actual height. And then what do you hope to use the foal for? Halter? Driving? Jumping? All of the above? What may make a great performance horse may not always make the best halter horse. Just something to consider. As for solid vs patterned, that's just a personal preference IMO.

But one thing I wanted to say about show records - regardless of which registery - just because a horse has a show record of their own doesn't mean they reproduce that. Unless you're looking at an unproven stallion (which I personally wouldn't with an unproven mare) look closely at their existing get. Are they making babies that are show quality? Is there a consistency in their get? Is there a "look" that they pass on that appeals to you? I think having a show record is awesome, but if we're talking about a breeding stallion, I am way more interested in what his foals are like moreso than what he is like. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck in your decision! I personally find selecting a stallion to be a lot of fun!!!

Have to agree with Jill that refinement is more important than height, and Parmela is also right, a show record is nice but not if the stallion isn't producing the same. An unshown stallion that is producing awesome babies trumps a multiple champion stallion that can't seem to produce much of anything IMO. A friend once told me to look past the obvious, color, show records, pedigree, and really look at the individuals and what will mix the best because ultimately that is how you make a show horse!
default_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Parmela and again Jill. I never thought about that portion of what Parmela is saying. I guess I was so focused on making sure he had a show record. Never thought to look at his babies that he's throwing and what they look like and what they're doing. Gee, it becomes a little overwhelming to try and figure it out. PLUS, I have transportation issues I have to look at. My hsuband won't want me carting my mare across the country to get bred either. So that is a concern I have to mix in the pot. I beginning to realize just how much planning this takes....TJ

Back