Chloramphenicol

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracyCCF

Reaction score
Has anyone given this medication. I had a filly that spent a week at the intensive care unit with septicemia. The vets at this clinic treat 90% throughbreds, and they really did miracle work to save this tiny filly. They only gave her a 10% chance of survival when she arrived, but I am glad to say she is doing much better. She went in that hospital limp, and couldnt stand for three days, but now can get up and down on her own.

Anyway, one of the medicines given to her, for me to give three times daily, and orally, is chloramphenicol ( I hope I am spelling that correctly).

I read up on it, and seems like it is a very strong drug for a small newborn to be give. Has anyone had any experience with this. They sent home gloves for me to wear when giving it. I read up and seems, it is a very strong antibiotic. Almost seems too strong to me. I do know it must be spaced very evenly every eight hours.

Anyone had any experience with this drug. I do know it can be given for parvo in dogs, and meningitis in humans.

That's a new one for me...... Hopefully someone like Dr. Pam can respond as I'd like to know more too.

MA

Well I can definitely help with this one!!!

Karo just finished being on Chloramphenicol for a month, 3 times a day.

She is the filly that had to have jaw surgery a couple months back.

It treats deep bone infections better than any other antibiotic.

Anyhow.......it doesn't cause anemia like SMZ's do, which is why we started using it. Karo got anemic after being on SMZ's for 3 weeks. But she still had a bone infection.

You have to be very careful when giving it because it can have a fatal effect on 1 in every 10,000 people, what it does in these very rare cases is cause Aplastic Anemia.

Karo is 9 months old and she tolerated it for the whole month just fine, no diahrea or anything. Every vet has to have it formultated for them, so dosing will be different for everyone, just depends on the lab that mixed it for your vet.

Hope this helps!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the drug we use for our cats--it does a remarkable job of clearing up most respiratory infections in them. A couple months ago, though, I had one cat with a mouth infection as well as a cold, & it wasn't working at all for her. One vet insists that if that drug won't work, nothing will. However, I asked the other vet if I could please try some amoxicillin--they gave me some pills & those cleared the infection up really well.

Anyway, I haven't had occasion to use chloramphenicol for horses, but then I haven't had to deal with anything like septicemia in a foal either. From what I understand it is a very effective drug--potent perhaps, but I'm led to believe it is very safe for cats, much less harsh than drugs such as tetracycline which is what one vet here always gave for respiratory infections--and when you are dealing with something as dangerous as septicemia, you need a potent drug to combat the infection.

My vet used it here for a while to treat pneumonia in foals and young horses. It worked very well, but was pretty pricey at around $60 per treatment.

I have been giving 1.5 cc three times daily. You can taste it when it gets any residue on your hands. No matter how much hand washing you do, you can still taste it, no wonder the vets said it could have an effect like an appetite suppressent.

Very costly medicine indeed, but the treatment, if it saves this little girl is well worth it.

For a 5 day vet stay in intensive care, was in the thousands. I almost fainted I am sure. Her bill looked almost like a hospital stay. I have yet to break the news to my husband. He would surely faint, or worse yet, divorce me.

She had such will to live, you could see it in her eyes. We had just named her Trace of Hope, and she is indeed that. SHe now stands for short periods of time on her own. When you go in the stall area, if she sees the medicine woman , me, coming after her,youd be suprised just how fast she can hop up.

I have used it on a full size filly that was 1yr old for an infection in her tendon sheath, from a puncture wound. It was the only antibiotic that worked and believe me we tried everything. It was costly but for a mini it should not be too bad. Just make sure you were your gloves and do not inhale it. The vet told me it can cause lukemia in people. But I dont think it is to strong for the horses. Alot of vets in our area dont like to use it because it is so harmful to humans! But you should have good results with it on your mini! Good Luck!

Has anyone given this medication. I had a filly that spent a week at the intensive care unit with septicemia. The vets at this clinic treat 90% throughbreds, and they really did miracle work to save this tiny filly. They only gave her a 10% chance of survival when she arrived, but I am glad to say she is doing much better. She went in that hospital limp, and couldnt stand for three days, but now can get up and down on her own.

Anyway, one of the medicines given to her, for me to give three times daily, and orally, is chloramphenicol ( I hope I am spelling that correctly).

I read up on it, and seems like it is a very strong drug for a small newborn to be give. Has anyone had any experience with this. They sent home gloves for me to wear when giving it. I read up and seems, it is a very strong antibiotic. Almost seems too strong to me. I do know it must be spaced very evenly every eight hours.

Anyone had any experience with this drug. I do know it can be given for parvo in dogs, and meningitis in humans.

I have used the medication many times and my Vet has warned me of its side effects to humans , one of which is most importantly to WEAR GLOVES, you should not be getting ANY residue on your skin. This medication can and will cause humans to become Annemic !!! Your vet should have instructed you to WEAR GLOVES !!!! You should NOT CRUSH those pills, they should be soaked before you inject them into your horses mouth and the containers should not be where anyone can handle them. Please CALL YOUR VET and ASK Questions !!!

Latest posts

Back