Children's Helmets?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T'sMinis

Reaction score
Well, I have what looks to be a 4 yr. old leadliner. So, where's the best place to get a helmet? Or does someone have a used one? I have not started look so I have no idea how much the even cost. She is my youngest child so I don't want to spend alot. I know, for safety reason I should be willing to spend but have to be honest I am not sure I will be able to get her to wear it.

My last leadliner was 8 years ago...didn't have to worry about a helmet at that time.

Thanks

Gina

Raising up my 2 kids on horses as well as having a riding school, here's the thing: No helmet, no riding. Case closed.

Parents need to take this very seriously. You need to buy the best you can find. Check ebay for a used one. If it has a crack in it, it is no longer considered safe so be sure the one you buy has not been in any wrecks.

I was looking at helmets the other day, and it sounds like the two I was looking at might have sizes small enough for little kids; I was looking on SmartPaks website, but they are probably available elsewhere. Here's a link to the helmet page:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/equestrian-riding-helmets-392pc.aspx?sort_option=Price%20%28Ascending%29

I'm looking at the

IRH Equi-Lite Helmet and the Troxel Sport Helmet Both under $30 and both with pretty good reviews for less expensive helmets.

They have sizing charts on their respective pages, and it looks like the IRH might have more adjustments in sizing.

I like the troxel sport helmet. The one my kids use has a dial at the back so you can adjust the fit, like on a construction hat. They are comfortable and my kids (and me) don't mind wearing that style at all.

OK, I RARELY if ever disagree with Marty, but in the case of helmets I would not buy used. Even without a crack, you don't know if it has been in a crash or how old it is. When a kid's (or anyone's) head is concerned I would get the one that A) fits the best and B) the child will want to wear.

The inexpensive helmets are certified just like the really expensive ones, so don't think you have to pay a lot to get protection. Just look for the ASTM certification.

I also don't let children ride without a helmet or let small children simply work around the horses or the minis without one, so I have several on hand in various sizes and colors, all purchased under the $40 range. I also don't recommend buying a used one.

After a fall and concussion a few years ago - with my helmet on - I never ride without one. Think about how bad it may have been without the helmet! I keep the cracked helmet to show youngsters, saying "That would have been my head." Works every time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought my 9 yr old his first helmet. I got it at the tack store here, it was $ 40.00 I could have got him a small but i think it was just a little to tight, so we went with the med, and it adjusted to fit his head. its a troxel spirit. they did have the little kids helmets with the ponys on it they were about the same price.

Thank you everyone for your advice. She will be sporting a new helmet very soon.

Gina

Latest posts

Back