Chihuahua with soft spot

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
Lucy has an opening in her skull. She has actually hit her head going under chairs and it hurt, I am sure she hit the soft spot.

I feel like I should make her a little leather helmet to cover her head. The spot was getting smaller but since she hit her head it seems larger. I took her to the vet for him to examine her and he said just keep an eye on her.

Do you think I should make her a helmet? The spot is quite large, the size of a dime. Her head is only about 3" in diameter.

Anyone else have a Chi with a soft spot that hasn't ever closed up?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been researching the breed for some time now, since I want to add one to my home, and apparently its somewhat commonplace for their soft spot to take time to close. How old is she? I belong to a fantastic Chihuahua Yahoo group who would be happy to answer your questions about helmets and things... send me a private email if you want to know the name of the group.
default_smile.png

I think most of them do not close. Just keep an eye on it and make sure she is acting right.. A head bumper would definitely be a cute idea.

This "molera" is a "normal" trait in the Chihuahua, and many/most NEVER close, but stay open their entire lives. I raised and showed Chihuahuas for many years, and never once did I ever have any problems associated with the molera in their skull. Anytime they bump their heads will hurt, just like with any breed (or us for that matter), but unless someone is actually poking into the soft spot, it should be fine. You need to watch kids that may be holding her to ensure they never poke at her head.

Lucy is.a year old. No body trys to poke her but it happens. She is so tiny and delicate. You go to reach for her and poke her head and know you hit the soft spot. When she has hit her head on the bottom of a heavy wooden chair she hollered real loud and hid for quite a while after.

The thing is after this last knock on the chair the hole is oblong and bigger and feels a little puffy. Sue I will be checking eBay. I've seen bikers with their little dogs in helmets so knew they existed. I think once she got used to it she would feel better. I have noticed that she is leary of somethings because of hitting her head, not impaired just afraid of some things.

my little chi has a teeny tiny molera but it was bigger before..Just took time for it to get smaller.. I do love my girl to pieces though... Definitely a breed I would consider adding to my family again if it came up...

Latest posts

Back