chicken coop[ as a covered shelter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liltnt

Reaction score
I posted earlier with the pepper tree question now the land owners want to change the boys corral and shelter to an area where chickens were kept. Its been at least a year since any chickens were there but ....

What do I need to do to make sure it is clear of anything that might hurt them or make them sick. What would be best to use to clean it out, spray down the walls and such?

Clean it thoroughly, as in raking, scooping, etc. Then simply spray clorox on the walls and floor areas. When EVA first started in Ky. many chemical salesmen were making a large killing on selling expensive disinfectants to the horse farms. I went to a seminar given by a veterinarian and he said the chemicals were fine, but to do the job and save money, just use Clorox. If anyone had an EVA positive horse, you were to put a rubber tub outside the barn, add clorox and water, and walk through it to prevent carrying the germs from the infected barn to the next. If it can work for that, it could work for anything.

You might also consider spreading lime on the ground and raking it in. By raking it in, the horses won't have direct skin contact.

MA

You MUST wear a mask when cleaning out bird doo especially if it is old and dried and you should get it away from your horses - where they would breath it or eat it. The germs birds poop are tough little boogers and endanger the health of all mammals. Scrape it up and put in a burn pile, always with a MASK on, and then spray the area with Novalsan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lice could be a big problem keeping them were birds have been esp. in a wooden building were the little beggers can survive in the cracks a long time!

Clean it thoroughly, as in raking, scooping, etc. Then simply spray clorox on the walls and floor areas. When EVA first started in Ky. many chemical salesmen were making a large killing on selling expensive disinfectants to the horse farms. I went to a seminar given by a veterinarian and he said the chemicals were fine, but to do the job and save money, just use Clorox. If anyone had an EVA positive horse, you were to put a rubber tub outside the barn, add clorox and water, and walk through it to prevent carrying the germs from the infected barn to the next. If it can work for that, it could work for anything.
This is exactlly what we did when we converted an old chicken coop into a horse stall! Clorox will kill all the germs left in the area! We converted ours 7 years ago and are still using them today without any problems!

Bill

Latest posts

Back