Chickasha, OK sale

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
91 horses were in the sale and the highest bid that I heard was $850 and the high selling horse was $800.

They sold from $60-$800. Most were under $500. A LOT were PO'D.

This will sure make you think before you breed.

It was a really good thing that I drove the car, there were sure some there that would have come home with me.

It was great to see so many of my friends there, most of them I don't get to see often. We had a good time even though none of us bought any horses.

Mary

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not know about it either, till REO emailed me and asked if we were going... We have not bred the mares for next year, nor did we last year. Something always came up and there just was not enough time. I guess it did not happen for a reason...SOOOOOO very sad these fine minis are going for next to nothing...
default_no.gif
default_no.gif

I had a great time there with all my friends! (which is why I went)
default_laugh.png

But I missed your being there with us Theresa {{{Hugs}}}

I fell in love with a WHITE mini molly mule. I wanted her so bad! But....I couldn't get her.

We were all good and didn't buy!

Which one sold for $800 Mary? The only $800 and $850 I see were PO'd. One sold for $600 though.

Did I make a boo boo?
default_biggrin.png

what happens to the ones that dont sell? do they go back to the owners, or move on to another auction? how did they look?

Everyone must remeber too this is a bad time of year to have this auction. Nationals was just over with and right now its the World Show. I mean sure if you don't show then its no big deal, but that could be the reason why such low numbers.

Does anyone have a link?

Only bred 1 mare this year and have no plans on breeding her back next year. If the baby doesn't sale then I won't breed plain and simple. However this mare isn't getting any younger, I just got her and she's 17. I think people just needs to be careful when it comes to breeding. Think about the future for a minute.

I had fun visiting with my friends and meeting new ones!
default_biggrin.png

There were 2 that I would have liked to have. One little mare that I am still kicking myself for not buying. But, HEY, I still have my money and my bills will get paid this week. LOL!

I think overall the horses and donks at the sale were good quality. I think that there were some things about this sale that could have been changed to increase the prices. Not having it on the first day of the World Show for one thing. I wonder how many people would have liked to come that are in Ft Worth.

More advertising would bring more people too. Look how many people have posted here who live in the area and knew nothing about it. I only knew because REO told me about it.

And giving more and correct info on the horses. Most of the horses had good info on them. But there were around 10-15 horses that they rushed through the ring at the end. I guess they were late add ons but some of them were nice. But I still do not know if any of those horses were registered. Don't know their ages. Nothing. I'm NOT ever going to bid on a horse that I know nothing about. And if you tried to interupt the auctioneer to ask a question, you got reprimanded.
default_no.gif
default_nono.gif

I find this very sad news and I do wonder what happens to the ones that don't sell.

The ones who dont sell just go home with their owners who brought them to the sale.

You would think, that sales like these would be a wake up call, that people need to stop breeding their unproven stallions and mares that there is no market for.

People need to stop breeding all these horses thinking they can sell all these foals. We don't breed anything that we aren't willing to keep, train, and show ourselves. If we sell them, okay. But thats not why we breed them. Even then, just because it has reproductive organs, doesn't mean it gets to use them!

Unfortunately, Sales like these will just keep getting worse. Its sad, but as long as we are breeding so many unwanted horses, there will continue to be so many.

You would think, that sales like these would be a wake up call, that people need to stop breeding their unproven stallions and mares that there is no market for. People need to stop breeding all these horses thinking they can sell all these foals. We don't breed anything that we aren't willing to keep, train, and show ourselves. If we sell them, okay. But thats not why we breed them. Even then, just because it has reproductive organs, doesn't mean it gets to use them!

Unfortunately, Sales like these will just keep getting worse. Its sad, but as long as we are breeding so many unwanted horses, there will continue to be so many.
I completely agree with this 100%.

I worked the sale and it was very disappointing. Several things:

It is a week after "R" Nationals and the start of "A" Nationals so lots of people who would like to attend could not. This is the only time the facility is available as consigners have asked the auction company to move it to mid Aug but they can't.

Lots of folks are getting the consignment in later and later and later. I did not even get the catalogue to the printers until midnight Thursday night. That makes it EXTREMELY difficult to do any quality advertising which would help the consignors to get more for their horses. In order for advertising to work there must be time to do the advertising. Our cutoff was 1 Sept and at that time we had only about 30 horses consigned.

The economy is in the worst shape and folks just do not have the spare funds. They are worried about bills, food on the table and how they're going to feed the horses they have.

As for this sale. There were about 15 head of unregistered colts that were sold after the last catalogued horse sold. They were not catalogued as they were late additions and no information was available on them for a supplement sheet. The auction company works very hard to make sure that quality is offered and that the sale has lots of exposure but when the consigners drag their feet about consigning or then consign and sell prior to the sale there is not much the auction company can do.

There were some exceptional horse there with incredible pedigrees but like myself (I had one mare there) I was not willing to let a 2008 AMHR Country Pleasure Driving Top Ten Mare who had just returned from Nationals again and has a pedigree that will cross nicely with any of today's top stallions, go for $800, therefore she is back home in the pasture. The bidders just gave a huge collective gasp when I announce her reserve and if anyone was interested to see me after the sale and the reserve was not unreasonable for todays economy. She would have been high selling horse if I had accepted the bid.

Most of the PO'd horse went back home with their respecive owners and I for one do not blame the owns one bit for not taking what was offered on some extremely nice mare some who were bred or were being offered as 3-N-1 packages when bids of less than $500.00 were being offered.

Mary, I so enjoyed meeting you and getting to spend the day with some girlfriends ( its a nice change of pace from work - i work with all boys !)

I wanted a few of the donks and that one lil mare oh and the shetland colts I woulda loved to take a few of them home ! and then there were a few weaners that went thru i woulda liked to take home but i was good and sat on my hands that money was burnin a hole in my pocket for sure !

It is just not the time of year to buy horses in general and the economy isnt helping either.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=8pt]Davie,[/SIZE]

I'm glad you brought up all the points about consignors getting their horses listed in a timely way. That is so important. People who are inexperienced at consigning their horses need to be aware of that. I took a horse to that sale in the spring--the first time for me consigning. (You may remember what I hard time I had deciding what to do.) It would have been much better if I had listed the horse earlier. Not only did it put a greater burden on you, making up the catalog and doing the online work, but my horse went through the sale much later in the day.

You all did a great job of presenting him and maximizing the bids.

Latest posts

Back