Checking for pregnancy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlacierRidge

Reaction score
Do you have your minis checked for pregnancy? Are the ultrasounds different (I'm assuming yes) than for large horses? It's actually about a mini donkey that was bred....and I'd like to have her checked in the coming months....have not spoken with my vet about it yet....but what's available for minis out there? Thanks!

I am very new to breeding minis, but here is my experience. My regular vet does not have experience ultrasounding minis, so I have used another local vet who does. She was able to tell me in a few seconds that "there is your baby" and even gave me photos. I suggest looking for a vet that has the equipment and expertise with minis. I have also used the Pregnamare blood test kits which can be used after about 40 days. Someone on the forum sells them (about $40 each - much cheaper than a vet call!) or try Google. We have one mare that was recently blood tested pregnant and will be ultrasounded in a couple of weeks so I can compare results.

BTW, we had a false pregnancy this year, so we plan to repeat the ultrasounds later to make sure the mares are still pregnant.

Our vet ultrasounds and will actually print pictures to keep with the mare's records in her files. We had 3 confirmed bred and about a week and a half later one slipped the foal (she's an older mare though too)

Latest posts

Back