CDE in Ontario

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evedex

Reaction score
This past weekend my navagator, Monika, and I took my pair Rocky and Dezi up to Checkmate in Ontario for the OCDA Combined Driving Show. What a blast.

Originally, the organizers felt that they needed 5 VSE entries to run the division, setting up a smaller dressage ring, etc. Unfortunately I was the only VSE entry since the others who contacted them had wire wheels and these are not allowed for safety reasons. Well, since I indicated that I didn't mind the larger dressage ring, the show let us compete anyway. In order to make it better for the boys, they did cut out the trot and walk sections (A & D) and had us only run the hazard section (E) on Sunday....it was almost 7 km, and long enough.

Well we got there on Friday around noon, got organized and passed the vet check presentation around 5pm. Then we went off to town with some friends for a lovely dinner. I always camp onsite at overnight shows, so after dinner, Monika and I set up the inside of the trailer into what would be Home Sweet Home for the next few days.

Saturday morning arrived and we polished up the presentation vehicle, brushed off the boys and ourselves and drove down the hill to the dressage ring. We sure got a lot of smiles from the competitors and audiences....Minis are always a hit <G>. Dressage went fairly well and I got a respectable 54 points for it...and I actually got a 9 in presentation from one judge so all the cleaning and organizing of outfits was worth it!

Next came cones. The course was on a hill and the boys did scramble into a bit of a canter to get to one gate so we lost a few points there and we had 1 ball down too but that was just 3.5 penalty points total for us, so the day was a success, in my books...only 57.4 penalty points going into the marathon...whoo hoo.

We had taken the ATV around the marathon course Friday afternoon, but with my poor sense of direction and the accompanying nerves, we took the opportunity to drive around two more times to get it all in my head. The course was well marked, it was just the hazards that I needed to be sure of. At 4 pm, there was an official course walk, so we took a 4th trip around....after that, I felt I was ready.

Saturday night was a nice pizza and salads buffet set up by the organizers and lots of visiting with all the other drivers. It made for a fun evening.

Well, before I knew it, it was Sunday morning. We put on our matching outfits and trotted over to the safety check at the start of A and then down to the start of E for our turn. We had to wait about 1 hour for all of the other hitches to get to the start of E, but I had known that and had decided to give the boys a lesson in 'stand' rather than unhitch and then re-hitch for the drive. They were stars. They stood so well that we got a few good comments from people about their manners....sure made me proud! And then it was our turn.

As they counted down, I forgot to turn on the stop watch at the right time so had to guess our progress with a 10-15 second window <sigh>. The boys were stellar. There were some steep long hills, but we had gotten permission under the rules, to have my groom step down and run behind in steep going. I think the poor girl ran about 2 km in total...all up hill <G>. Anyway, I wasn't going to try and keep the boys moving at the 10 kph required for the time, I was more interested in their enjoying the competition. There was a water crossing that was over their bellies in depth, but they trucked through that without even looking at it. I think the cool water on their tummes felt good since we got a second wind and a good burst of speed shortly after the crossing.

Well, all said and done, the marathon went really well and we actually came in 1 second under the maximum time <G> At the final vet check, the boys passed as soon as we came in, no need to recheck after 10 minutes of cooling down like many of the other competitors. So, with no penalties for the day....a really fun drive....I consdered the whole experience a wonderful success.

The best part of the whole thing was that the organizers, who were conserned about the suitability of local VSE's for CDE compteitions, realized that our breed can do it and hopefully, next year, we will have a full division. Rocky and Dezi were perfect little ambassadors for our breed on the weekend....Minis Rock!!!

I would like to thank the OCDA club and especially those who went to bat to get us accepeted to drive. Can't wait until next year.

Congratulations Eve on a very successful weekend!!! I sooo wish I could have gone - it sounds like such a good time. My cart has wooden wheels but my other vehicle with the rubber tires is what kept me out - darned truck! I really hope to be able to get there next year and am planning and saving to that goal now!

How wonderful -- -sounds like a fabulous time -- so glad you had fun and a great drive.

Congrats on your successes!!

Would love to see pics if you have them -- Presentation, Dressage, Cones and Marathon.

JJay

Congratulation on your successes :bgrin Sounds like you had a blast. :aktion033:

Wow, VERY cool Eve! :aktion033: It's so nice to read a really complete writeup from another part of the country and get to feel what it was like for you to be there from start to finish. Thank you for sharing! It sounds like your horses did very well for you.

evedex said:
Next came cones. The course was on a hill and the boys did scramble into a bit of a canter to get to one gate so we lost a few points there and we had 1 ball down too but that was just 3.5 penalty points total for us, so the day was a success, in my books...only 57.4 penalty points going into the marathon...whoo hoo.
Is it against the rules to canter in cones where you are?

As they counted down, I forgot to turn on the stop watch at the right time so had to guess our progress with a 10-15 second window <sigh>. The boys were stellar. There were some steep long hills, but we had gotten permission under the rules, to have my groom step down and run behind in steep going. I think the poor girl ran about 2 km in total...all up hill <G>. Anyway, I wasn't going to try and keep the boys moving at the 10 kph required for the time, I was more interested in their enjoying the competition. There was a water crossing that was over their bellies in depth, but they trucked through that without even looking at it. I think the cool water on their tummes felt good since we got a second wind and a good burst of speed shortly after the crossing.
Well, all said and done, the marathon went really well and we actually came in 1 second under the maximum time <G> At the final vet check, the boys passed as soon as we came in, no need to recheck after 10 minutes of cooling down like many of the other competitors.
Heh, I do that with the stopwatch all the time. It drives me crazy! I think it's great that your navigator was allowed to hop down; here I'm pretty sure if they put both feet on the ground you get 20 penalty points. I firmly believe the minis can do 10kph when properly conditioned so it's nice to hear that you made your time without even trying. Go minis! Your attitude towards your horses rocks as well. I applaud you! :worshippy:

...They were stars. They stood so well that we got a few good comments from people about their manners....sure made me proud! ... The best part of the whole thing was that the organizers, who were concerned about the suitability of local VSE's for CDE compteitions, realized that our breed can do it and hopefully, next year, we will have a full division. Rocky and Dezi were perfect little ambassadors for our breed on the weekend....Minis Rock!!!
:cheeky-smiley-006:
default_cheers.gif
:
default_thumbup.gif
: You should be able to hear me clapping from Canada! :aktion033:

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back