Caught ya suckers!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
Some of you might remember all the trouble we've been having with trespassers. Over the last few years some really scary stuff has happened, and as a result we've really tightened down our security measures, but we never had any idea who did it in the first place. It still really bothers me thinking those people are out there and could come back, but we scored one for the home team tonight.

We are at the corner of a fairly busy country intersection with subdivisions in both directions. I believe most of the trespassing has just been bored teenagers and that while it's irritating for all of us here it's merely funny to them. This year they've come up with a new "game." My grandmother has a huge antique bell parked out behind the office, and they've been coming by all hours of the day and night and ringing it. I know they are intentionally driving by looking for us when they ring it, because they continue ringing it until someone comes out and then they shout insults and race off. It may sound harmless, but a majority of our employees are seniors. My own 78 year old grandmother lives alone at the other end of the property, and I am obviously not thrilled to know that someone else knows I'm out here with the mares at 3 in the morning.

Aaaaanyway, tonight Mo and I were doing some late night barn cleaning and he stepped outside for a moment. Next thing I know he's shouting, "Tiff! Tiff get in the car!" He'd spotted them pulling up to the bell. We got in the car just as they started taking off, and FINALLY got close enough to get their plates this time. They raced off, but we came back to the farm and called County to report the incident.

County sent a deputy out, and he parked his car in the shadow of the silos (whereas ours is parked under the light beside the middle barn). The three of us were standing there talking about what's been happening when a car rolled up to the intersection. The deputy just smirked and said, "Wouldn't it be nice if they were stupid enough to come back tonight?" Then as he was watching the car pulled off the road toward the bell. They must've decided they couldn't ring it before we could get to them, because they just honked several times and tore off. The deputy hopped in his car and took off after them. I think they thought it was us, because they hit the gas so hard their tires squealed. I wish I could have seen their faces when he turned on his lights.

He called me later to tell me he had given them several tickets. He said we could press charges for trespassing but that it wouldn't stand up if challenged because we didn't have signs posted (they keep stealing them). He also said the group was pretty terrified when they realized they were being pursued by a cop, that he doesn't think they'll be back, and that if they do come back they will now automatically be arrested for trespassing.
default_aktion033.gif
I know this group was just "playing," but I'm hoping this will send a message that we are DONE with trespassers here.

Good, and hopefully it scared them enough NOT to come back! You never know when things will turn malicious or they start getting into things they shouldn't- beyond being just irritating.

Am really glad the police got to them. And hoping they will never bother you again.

As for the No Trespassing signs, I have this problem too, people stealing them. Put them up and take a couple of photos.

You can also put a couple high up on a tree or such, so people can't get to them.

Does it have to be a sign, you can you paint "no trespassing" on a fence or side of a building? If its painted right on, it would be much harder to steal.

Mo took a ladder out today and put new signs out higher up, so we'll see if that works, but I will be sure to take pics now and painting a warning might be a good idea too. Thanks for the helpful suggestions! Unfortunately there's no higher place to put the signs we attach to our perimeter fencing where the horses are. My only concern every time we change things a little is that they will think it's a game and will also increase their efforts.

Mo took a ladder out today and put new signs out higher up, so we'll see if that works, but I will be sure to take pics now and painting a warning might be a good idea too. Thanks for the helpful suggestions! Unfortunately there's no higher place to put the signs we attach to our perimeter fencing where the horses are. My only concern every time we change things a little is that they will think it's a game and will also increase their efforts.
My only thought on putting signs higher up, people can say they didn't see them as they weren't at a "normal" height. I say paint "no trespassing" right on the fence; should work fine if you have a bumper rail or top rail on your fence.

It really doesn't matter if they are just "playing games". It is still scary. What gets me is when people are walking up to our back fence to put their hands through the wire and my dog is running out there and barking like "just stick your hand through, I'll eat it" and the don't stop till I yell at them. What is wrong with people?

So glad the police were there when they were dumb enough to come back. Hopefully that will be the end of it.
default_yes.gif

That's too funny how they got caught--serves them right. I'd have liked to see their faces when they saw the flashing lights come on!

That's too bad it doesn't count as trespassing when you had signs that got stolen. Here, it doesn't matter if the land is posted or not. Some people believe that if there are no signs it means anyone can go on the property, but such is not the case. Last winter there were problems with people riding their sleds across private property--there was a police statement in the paper which clearly stated that permission must be obtained before crossing private property, even if that land is not posted with no trespassing signs. Private property is just that, and anyone that doesn't get permission to enter is trespassing. That applies in any season, to anyone--hikers, hunters, riders, sledders as well as mischief makers.

Latest posts

Back