Cart Shaft and Breast Collar Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nighttrain

Reaction score
I am sure that I am not the only person having this problem although I dont seem to find any information on the subject.

I am hoping to get some information regarding the following..........

I am having a problem with the shaft getting under the breast collar when asking for a 360 degree pivot as in driving obstacle courses.

I have had that problem with my Comfy Fit harness in combo with my Mini Crown cart, and now the same thing with a good leather show harness and an easy entry cart. It freaks my driving horse out when it happens so I need to figure out a solution.

A friend of mine,who is a very experienced driver suggested thimbles. I have not had a chance to try that yet.

I would appreciate any suggestions, or good ideas on the subject.

Thanking you in advance, Nighttrain

The 2 things that come to mind for me are either there is too much forward/backward play allowed the shafts (my best guess is this) or the shafts are not positioned correctly, either to far ahead or tipped up or down. If you can post a picture of your horse hitched to your cart that would probably help some. Something else that just came to mind is if the horse is not using the collar and traces to pull the cart (some methods of hitching actually have the horse pulling from the saddle rather than the traces) there could be slack which allows the shaft to slide under the collar.

I do obstacle driving as well, and have had this problem a few times. It's always corrected itself w/ no problems when I move forward again. If I remember correctly, I believe it's when the horse has too much lateral bend in his neck versus keeping his body straight. Seems like it only happens when I'm schooling and correcting them. I'll have to pay better attention when it happens again. I use wrap straps and it's happened to several different carts. It doesn't happen often. I don't believe it's when the cart/harness isn't fitting properly, but the horse's position at that time. Again, I'll have to pay better attention if it happens again. Try keeping the horse's neck and body straight and see if you still have that problem.

Thank you for the information. Becky I think you are correct as I have had several people look at my harnessing and they said it was correct.

I will try to work on that as I thought that he might be bending too much.

I have used the EE cart for a long time, harnessed exactly tlhe same and have never had a problem before with it. So, it has to be something different.

I also wondered if marathon shanks would work?

Have you considered using a false martingale? That should anchor the breast collar

I am working with thimbles on right now. So far so good yesterday.

Thank you for the suggestions.

nighttrain

I'm with Becky here. I have noticed when my horse "bends" for the 360' turns this can happen, but if I concentrate on more of a sidepass to pivot I never have this happen.

I do a ton of in hand obstacle with my horses to really get them to sidepass properly and find that this translates to cart very well!

Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back