carrots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have bought feed stock carrots and fed them as part of the total feed- not too many of course but more than they would get as titbit's. No problems in feeding, problem was in keeping them fresh, they go off very quickly and you need to keep them frost free too and away form damp.

They are high in sugars, we limit them to treats. Kids find the baby carrots easier to feed than than slices.

They are very high in sugar. I don't believe in feeding "treats" very often anyway as there is no point. Humans perceive giving treats as "love" but horses don't. They just eat.

I feed mine carrots all summer. I grow them so my son likes to pick them and give them to the horses. I also let them have the bowl full of carrot peel when I'm done canning carrots. I've never had a problem with it but that's just me. I figure it's only about 3 months out of the year that they get them so why not? And how do you tell the cute toddler son that the horses "notta have carrots?"?

Back