Can't wait for clipping season

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocklone Miniature Horses

past member -I gotta get a life...
Reaction score
I am READY. I love the fluffyness but i want to see whats under there :D Winter is so hard with trying to judge the weights and if they need more of anything (be that work or feed)

I won't be clipping until at least June so it is killing me. I would normally clip earlier, but i have a vacation in late may.

default_impatient.jpg

I hear you, the lil fuzzbutts look so cute all fluffy, but sometimes I think they also look a bit homely, my broodmares are growing billy goat beards with this cold weather! Very unbecoming. I just love how good they look all clipped up.

My little Goldie is soooooo becoming clipped. Fluffy she looks like a mutt lol its actually the first year shes never been clipped partially so has her full coat. Shes had a few sweaty days/nights but i've persevered cause i want to TRY not to clip her this year at all. I'll not be clipping Charm i might just do her booby and thigh area when shes due to foal, though. Boys will be clipped as soon as i come home from vacation!

I think the part I dislike most is the hairy legs. Clipped legs are so fine and elegant. Four inches of hair all around each leg make them look like coffee tables.

I am considering taking one of mine to the elevator in town to be weighed, just to check on his weight. It is a public scale. The vet will also let me use his office scale, but I hate to bother him.

ME TOO!!! While the fluffies are fun to cuddle and such they are just not near as pretty as their summer self! I will probably clip a few of my showstring in March just so I can get a few clips in before the first show, helps hair coat a lot! That and I wont be able to wait much longer! I already want to clip but sadly still far too cold with no warmth in our near future :p

Anybody here actually enjoy clipping? I do. I wish I was a little better at it, but I do OK.

It's sort of relaxing, if they are cooperating!

I never can get the hang of doing faces though, for some reason.

Anybody here actually enjoy clipping? I do. I wish I was a little better at it, but I do OK.

It's sort of relaxing, if they are cooperating!

I never can get the hang of doing faces though, for some reason.
I usually love clipping but like you said is even better when they are behaving LOL! My favorite clip is the first one of the year getting to turn them all into sleek show horses again!

Ordinarily we don't clip, thanks to Mingus' glossy, slick summer coat -- although that means an even longer wait...

This year we have our new kid -- Mountain Meadows Blues Traveller, a line bred Prince grandson. He's a blue roan, which means his winter coat is nearly solid black, so in his case I'm anxious for the big reveal. He's a looker in his winter woolies, so I can hardly wait to see what's underneath.

I love to body shave, big horses and minis! This past week its been warm and sunny and my poor crystal is sweating so much she drips when I work her, but next week is calling for snow. I couldn't stand her chipmunk cheeks anymore so I took my scissors and cleaned up the 10 lbs of guard hairs so she looks more like a horse again. Lass has lacing down her back and every year clipping her coat reveals all her pretty white
default_yes.gif
only 2.5 more months until I can have pretty sleek ladies!

My little mare had a bit of a scaly back. Doesn't seem itchy or sore so I'm not going to do anything at the moment but I might have to rug in the rain now.

Would like to know what is your favorite clippers to use? I have double K's and was wondering what you all used. Think they are OK, but would like to know if you have a brand you prefer better. Getting ready to have my clippers serviced, who do you use or like?

Both of you have better clippers than I do. I'm a poor farmer stuck with Oster cow clippers. I did get a 2 speed pair of A5's for a gift a few years ago. My oster 210's work but they do not compare to double k, andis, lister or laube. As long as I bathe and dry the animal first and keep up on the clipper servicing, they do the job. Luckily the clipper barn is close to us, so I can get mine serviced frequently enough to keep them useable.

"Did somebody say body clipping?"

I'm pretty sure I have yaks, not mini horses. I'm still months away from clipping season here. Last year was the first year I didn't clip. They shed out really nice last spring. Better than they have in years past. I did end up clipping Clementine's jaw line since she had a beard that wouldn't go away. LOL!

20160128_083809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Did somebody say body clipping?"

I'm pretty sure I have yaks, not mini horses. I'm still months away from clipping season here. Last year was the first year I didn't clip. They shed out really nice last spring. Better than they have in years past. I did end up clipping Clementine's jaw line since she had a beard that wouldn't go away. LOL!
OH my! that is a very kissable face though! all our snow has melted, but more is coming the end of this week! I am SO ready for spring!

We should start a thread or use this one to post before and after shots for our clipping! I cant wait to see my boy clipped I've only ever seen him looking like a mammoth!!!

Latest posts

Back