Can't hurt to test those foals for color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne

Reaction score
I decided this year to lab test my foals for color if there was any question in my mind.

Well we did get a surprise.

Our little red/white Double Destiny grandson Neon Lights has lab tested homozygous for tobiano!

I might not have tested him because his dam "looks" solid.

Here's "Gabby" who I can now say is a minimal pinto mare, she has just a couple of very small white spots by her withers, I honestly thought were from some problem before I owned her and a small white line above one coronet.

Gabbyleft.jpg

I so agree. I have always said there are way more tobiano minis out there then people think. Way too many get marked as solid when they are not

Maybe I should get my guy tested. He looks solid but has a couple small white spots on his shoulder and back that I also thought were from some problem that he had before I owned him, like ill fitting tack or injury. Come to think of it, he does have a paint grandsire. Hmmm now I will have to check.

What an awesome surprise!!
default_aktion033.gif

It's true, even the slightest bit of white etc can mean a pinto pattern!

Will the associations let you list them as a pinto on their papers if you can show DNA proof that they indeed carry pinto? I don't think they will unless they actually have spots, so anybody doing lookups still won't know will they? I have several that carry various patterns, but for all intents and purposes are solid and the registries wouldn't budge!
default_wacko.png

What a wonderful surprise!!! I adore pintos as you know!

Robin

Latest posts

Back