Can you post pix of your barns-I cant find when I search

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tnovak,I really like your barn! The doors are really cute,i like the do it yourself barns
default_smile.png
. Your husband did a great job
default_saludando.gif

Dona, Your barn looks a lot smaller on the outside, I dint know it could fit so many horses

Our barn is 40 x 60......lower & upper. I haven't gotten all the stalls put up on the south side yet (side that Apache is on)

When done.....I'll have (9) 8 x 12 minis stalls.....a 12 x 12 weaning stall, and a 12 x 16 big horse stall....as well as a 20 x 16 tack area. We put in tons of lighting....so it's very well lit. Upstairs is where we keep the straw & hay & other supplies....trailer, bedding, tractor, etc. Also have 3 separate pastures. A big one off the east door (maybe 2 acres?) and smaller one off the west door (approx. 3/4 acre) and a small one off the south door (50' x 50'). There is a lot of flexibility in this arrangement. I can put Button (our dwarf) in the small paddock, and also use that to wean babies, or put mothers & newborns for the first few days. My very gentle POA is out with my mares in the big pasture right now, and Apache (my stallion) is in the other pasture on the other side of the barn. Once the mares foal....I'll put Apache in with his mares so he can re-breed, and will move Cherokee (my POA) to the other side of the barn. He won't be happy by himself tho......he craves company.
default_sad.png
I may put our new Pyr puppy out with him....we'll see.

Here is a photo of the outside of the barn when we were putting in water & didn't have the fence up yet.

BarnRenovationWaterTrench0001.JPG

BarnSnowOakTree20001.JPG

And here is a photo of the same barn over 125 years ago!

Houser__Frank_barn_Small.jpg

I just love this old barn........it was built with HUGE 1 foot hand-hewn beams that are held together with wooden pegs. It's just beautiful on the inside, and the wood still looks almost new!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dona, I really like your set up that you have, the stall arangements are genious
default_smile.png

Dona, I really like your set up that you have, the stall arangements are genious
default_smile.png
Thank you! I wanted to be able to change the size of my stalls if needed. If I downsize to just a few horses, then I can make their stall areas bigger. If I need more stalls....I can make them smaller. Lots of different arrangements I can do.
default_smile.png

Hey Jill can you post your barn and shelter set up too...

Anyone else want to show your barns, I would love to see more..

Thanks

Missy
default_smile.png

I love my barn and stable. Much smaller versions than most of the ones posted already, but great for Bailey and Willow.

The stable. Fully insulated, power, washable as it's painted with marine grade paint inside, padded floor also lined with stable matting.

100_0014.jpg

They actually do 'snuggle' up together inside the stable too.
default_wub.png

155_5532.jpg

This is the hay barn. It was copied from the barn in the Charlottes Web movie which was filmed in my area. My husband hand made all of the shingles. Love my hay barn~

Picture001.jpg

ok that is just the cutest dang thing EVER!!!!
default_smile.png

I love all your barns i always wanted an american style barn so cool we have 2 bays and 3 bays here not very excititng lol just a square, i have 4 stables in a L shape with all my stuff left in the l space
default_smile.png
i havnt taken any piccies of mine we are moving soon and i have a blank canvas to work with OMG i have chnaged my mind about ten times so this post is great!!!

Here's the new mare barn we put up this past summer/fall.. It will have 13 total stalls that are 6w X 8L, every two having a removable divider to make a total of 5- 8 X 12 foaling stalls.. Don't have any pictures of it since these but we have it pretty much done, just need to put in 2 more stalls but the ground started freezing before we could get the holes dug.. Saved a lot of money by just building it ourselves, gave my dad and grandpa a project to keep them busy
default_wink.png
Total size is 54' long by 24 wide (interior) with an added 8' lean to..

Total view:

barn4.png

The part to the right enclosed with the window is the office which is 8' wide by 19' long (I think) and has access into the barn.. This winter my dad and I got to talking and think we've decided to pull the metal off the area on the left and enclose the lean to like we did for the office to give us more storage area.. I had thought about putting in a concrete slab there for washing, clipping etc, but decided against that, and I think the added storage area there for hay, our cart, etc. would be more beneficial
default_smile.png

106_4213.jpg

Also added a small window on the inside wall of the office to overlook the two stalls that share that wall which I plan on making the main foaling stall when babies start arriving.. One of the things that I really wanted that way I can look in on the mare without disturbing her and also a way to pass back materials/towels etc without having to leave the mare/foal..

End of the barn where horses are brought in/out:

102_3733.jpg

Bigger door at the side on other end for unloading hay, shavings etc. (since picture it's been covered with green metal to match the other doors
default_wink.png
)

102_3742.jpg

Looking in from interior office door, this is two stalls opened together, so the size of our foaling stall.. We put together the two under the observation window the other night and moved our lil Sweet Tart (33") in there as she's making the most progress and the stall makes her look sooo tiny! Definitely plenty of room for her to roll, foal out and accommodate a mare and growing foal!

100_4279.jpg

Looking down the 7 stall side:

100_4280.jpg

Divider:

106_4218.jpg

As for other barns, Sky and Buster share a split lean to with adjacent pastures, and then we have a smaller 24 X 24 barn that has 3 big horse stalls and 3 mini stalls

My little barn is still not painted and doesn't have the little roof extension on it yet, but it is 8x24 and will have three little stalls with split doors. Right now the dividers aren't in it so it is all a run-in. I look forward to finishing it as soon as the weather is better.

100_1939.jpg

Lucky C,great pics,could you tell me approx. how tall the wood is in your dividers? Do you know the thickness of the wood?
The solid part at the bottom is 2' of 5/8" OSB board and then it's trimmed with 2 x 4"s, believe the total height (including how much space off the floor they hang as we did not set the dividers on the floor) is around 3', then I believe the fencing + 2 X 4's is another 3-4'.. They're working out great, especially with the moody mares right now, have had them kick at the dividers and not leave one mark.. Have found that the green fencing we used for the top is stretching now that they're rubbing on it, so will probably have to re-stretch/hold to tighten them back up or find something else, but want them to be able to see each other and open enough to let the air circulate..

tnovak,I really like your barn! The doors are really cute,i like the do it yourself barns
default_smile.png
. Your husband did a great job
default_saludando.gif

Thanks! It was supposed to be bigger, and look like a real barn, not a garage! I STILL want 2 more stalls, as was the original plan, and I want to roof higher, which was also the original plan. The doors were recycled from a very old gentleman friend down the road.

Latest posts

Back