can it be a cold?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
My little boy is laying down a lot today and seems a little mopey. We took him out yesterday and worked him on halter a good while and played. He seemed fine besides blowing his nose quite a bit. Today he is lying around, I have been watching him worried about colic since it looks like he dug a hole last night (pawing?) he isnt rolling much just a little when he first lies down. He is eating and drinking fine. But finally I noticed his nose and eyes seem a little snotty and he is blowing his nose and opening his mouth (like yawning) and he is coughing (not a lot I only saw him do it once) .... Should I just keep an eye on him? Take him for a walk or let him rest? Sorry new horsy mom!

It could be symptoms from eating bad hay. Or maybe is sensitive to dusty hay? My mare got into moldy hay I was meaning to throw out and she got gooey eyes, runny noes and a bad cough. Just take it easy with him and make sure there's no moldy hay. Good luck and I hope he gets better soon! =) (My mare was had these symptoms for about 2 weeks so I got rid of all of the bad hay and didn't run barrels with her for a while)

I would let him rest, and also take his temperature for reference. When I am concerned about colic and they roll, I watch to see if they shake off when rising, usually if it is colic, they do not shake.

If he was my horse I would be calling the vet, and not work him 'til he gets better

Not sure if I remember correctly, but is this your little yearling? If so, how much 'work' were you doing with him? IMO a yearling wants little more than to have plenty of room/space to play in, time, care, attention and slow steady lessons in manners, plus some regular walks in hand to gain experience with new sounds and surroundings. Is is possible that he may have done too much and simply tried hmself out? (what are you feeding him?) I dont know where you live but, apart from possible dust in the hay, dust in his surroundings could also cause breathing problems and a runny nose or eyes.

But I would certainly take his temperature and if it is raised then call your vet - best to nip something in the bud than wait and have a real problem.

Good luck, let us know how he goes, hoping it is just a minor 'blip' and he is all better very soon.
default_yes.gif

Yes he is a yearling he eats free choice costal and oats once a day (in a dry lot). Thanks for the tip on shaking when rising, he has been doing that : ) (whew!)... By work I mean my daughter walks him around a while, not for long, maybe 30 min or so. Just like you said getting him used to goings on and keeping up his manners. I go with her so we can't stay out to long, I have a 4 mo old and leave her napping with my 14 yo to keep and eye on her. Basic routine so far is walking in the lead for maybe 30 min. Let him graze for a while on the lead (this is when we have been scraping his hooves he cooperates if he gets to graze) then we let him be tied for a little while and brush him, then just play with him in his paddock. It's about an hour a day plus short visits checking on him. I was thinking I should take his temp but he is perking up this afternoon. Yay! We did take him out to graze but no walking he enjoyed that.

Hmm can a youngin at that age have problems with insulin resistance already? My mare does but she's 15, not sure how young they can be before symptoms become noticable? Just curious as another sign in adult horses of laying down a lot could be hoof pain from laminitic issues...not sure how lush or high in sugars the grasses/hay are where you are. Also, in my experience, yet again with older horses, are that some simply have allergies at different times of the seasons, my old mare had a difficult time in the fall and late winter. Some feed companies can test your grass and hay for sugar content. Just something to think about, if its not a problem now, it could still be in the future, sugars and starches are an important thing to watch with the little ones and I believe some IR cases can be genetic? Good luck though, hope it turns out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
You described a sick horse to me that should probably be checked out by a vet. Best wishes.

Take his temperature. If you haven't gotten a livestock thermometer, do so now! It's my first go-to for checking symptoms. Anything over 102 I call the vet.

Secondly, clear or slightly whitish snot I keep an eye on but if its thick, yellow or green I call the vet. This can signal an infection of some sort, so it's always best to start antibiotics sooner than later. There are different antibiotics for different things.

What you are describing is so general it could be colic, it could be ulcers, it could be a virus. I would stall him if possible to see if he is passing stool, give him warm mash to up his water intake and take his temperature. If he is not near other horses that are sick or been exposed to new horses a virus becomes less likly.

Thanks everyone : ) he is totally back to normal today and quite playful. My best guess for the runny nose is maybe it was dust, it is quite dusty here. He is an only horse so no concern about spreading anything. We will continue to keep a close eye on him. You all have been very helpful and I have some great tips for the future (hopefully he won't get sick but you never know!) I am glad to have found this forum! If he seems to have anymore symptoms we will go to the vet but today he seems perfectly fine with no symptoms.

Back