Can I see your round pens?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse-Cow-Gal

Reaction score
Hello all!
default_smile.png

I would like to build a round pen. I would like to see your pics as well as hear advice re: size (height and diameter), materials, etc. All advice is greatly appreciated!

PS I really have been enjoying the posts re: buildings etc.... its nice to see a variety of ideas

Thanks again

Well, I don't have any pictures at the moment, as we lent our round pen panels to a friend, but ours was probably around 5'6 tall or so, 36 feet in diameter, and had 5 or 6 rails. However, we used it for both our big horses and minis, so it could probably be smaller if it was just for minis. Good Luck

For years ours was made from calf panels. When Lee started buying shetlands & needing a bigger area we enlarged it. We added three cow panels attached to metal T posts. You can buy the plastic caps to go on top of the posts. The cow panels bend easily.

I have no photos, but mine is very simple; it consists of 13 panels, each 10' long and @ 32" high, of around 6-7 bars each. The panels were made by the FFA group at my area high school YEARS ago as sheep panels, and I bought them from them. They are the simplest to use, because I can put the round pen where I need it(right now it is in the center of my large arena), but I will likely dismantle it for the winter, as I won't be starting any driving horses until spring. Of course, it is suitable only for miniature horses!

I believe it is extremely important for a round pen to be LARGE ENOUGH in diameter. Mine is 40', which I consider a near MINIMUM for MINIATURE HORSES. You can do more harm than good, working horses, especially young stock, for any appreciable amount in a round pen that is of TOO SMALL a diameter.

Years ago, when was starting/working 'big' horses with some regularity, I set up a round pen of 50' diameter-the widely-recommended minimum-I quickly realized that that was TOO SMALL IN DIAMETER to be safe and comfortable for my full-sized horses! I now feel that a round pen for 'full-sized' should be at LEAST 60-70' in diameter,at least for regular use.

A round pen can be a useful item, but needs to be used with strong consideration always in mind for the horse's physical well-being.

Margo

My round pen is 40' and is made of three board fence. The footing is sawdust. Since this picture was taken last fall, it has been painted red to match the other fencing and the barns.

From%20Goat%20Gate%20--%2011132005%20--%20035.jpg

We used panels, I would have to ask my Husband the size. It was pricey but very solid.

Dscn0092.jpg

Dscn0091.jpg

Not the best pictures to show it but maybe you can get the idea. I can take a picture of the whole thing if you are interested.

Sandy

Hello,

Does anyone know where to found the mini panels? We have the big horses panels, but I have see some for minis.

thanks MELISSA

Contact Garry Nichols or DeAnna Rasberry at Double Diamond. They have green panels that

almost match your grass so they don't stand out on your property.

www.doublediamond.org

Justine

8acdb054.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]It's not a grat picture, but it's all I have right now. Philly (*big one) is in it. We used cow panels and round pressuer treated post. All from TSC. Ours is 30' in diameter which is fine for the minis, but too small for Philly. The bend ealisy and it was pretty cheap. We put up a 4' gate and it works wonderfully. Philly was gooing in there when she first cams and she never messed with the panels. Honey goes in there all the time for turn out as long as it's not soaking with wet mud. We are going to be putting sand in there so it won't be so wet.[/SIZE]

CHristy

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone use their used shavings (bedding) for footing
We did for years & years when we had ours closer to our house. We set it up there because it had a slope which we figured was good for working the horses slightly uphill & downhill. Problem was with that area when it rained it make it too slippery. We started adding used bedding which helped a lot but still didn't want to risk sliding. We moved it to the back of the pasture on the highest point of our land which makes it TOO far to take the used bedding. We now use the used bedding for our dry lotted horses.

Mini Panels can be purchased thru Preifert. They have several big horses sizes, but they do offer one size for the minis. I am actualy getting them in today or tomorrow from the semi. They are pricey, like their regular size panels, but they will last forever. One idea I had, a lot of 4-h clubs have multi purpose panels and ever so often, they will sell them to buy new ones, try checking that out. All my fencing around our property is wooden posts or t posts w/ caps and cattle panels. It allows the bunny rabbits and cats to get thru, but keep the dogs and varmits out.

Used Bedding? I use the Used sawdust only. All the manure goes to the spreader. We use the bedding for my hot walker, so the horses have a great cushioning to use while exercising. Living so high in the mountains under a Pass, the wind can get a little breezy and it would blow the sawdust around if I put it in the outside paddocks.

Angela Holmes

www.TrailersOutWest.com

As Cathy points out, I would think shavings would get slippery. However, I use sawdust and that works well for me.

Here's a more current picture of my round pen.

Round%20Pen%20--%20Whinny%20For%20Me%20Farm%20--%2011102006%20--%20014.jpg

Mine's certainly nothing special...

It's 40ft. It was my Christmas present to myself last year ;)

2688e4de.jpg

Jessi

We had ours made by a Farm & Ranch supply company in our area as we wanted the horizontal bars spaced closer than the big horse size. We've also had panels made locally by another fabricator that are taller.

Your feed store should have someone that makes panels or they can be ordered.

R&R Ranch Supply in Southern California makes the most wonderful 4 panel square pens, stall dividers, gates and round pens - all are easy to put together and light enough to carry.

Latest posts

Back