Can I see pictures of National show quality horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
I want to know what they look for in national show quality horses, and see if my guy that i want to buy qualifies! I dont really know what they look for, this is for halter. Lets see what you's have, then I can send a of mine. or a description of what they look for just for AMHR AMHA based shows.

I have a couple with National wins, who coincidentally came to me from Ms. Erica above
default_wub.png
Do have some not shown below who may make an appearance at the Nationals this year... such a long trip but Harvey and I are thinking on it. Got some really nice young horses, some of them from Erica, who we'd like to see go
default_yes.gif

[SIZE=12pt]Erica's Echos of My Destiny (HOF)[/SIZE]
2004 32” AMHR / AMHA smoky silver black stallion – co-owned with Erica Killion

National Champion / Many Time Grand Champion / Halter Hall of Fame / Multi National All Star / AMHA Honor Roll

Grandson of both Alvadars Double Destiny and Little Kings Buck Echo

Destiny%202007%20Nationals%20Sign.jpg

Destiny%20Pictures%20By%20Shannon%20--%20June%202007%20--%20004.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Erica's Gone and DunIT[/SIZE]

2005 31” grey-grullo fancy moving stallion – National Top 10 (halter) & AMHA Honor Roll (halter) – Multi Champion

Grandson of both Ima Boones Little Buckeroo Too (“BTU”) and Yellow Diamond Little Feather, Great Grandson of Egyptian King

DUNIT%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20170%20BRUSHED.jpg

DUNIT%20Ball%20--%20071107%20--%20088.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Tibb’s Sundowner (HOF)[/SIZE]

1998 34" AMHR Silver Bay Dun Gelding / Halter Hall of Fame / Multi National Champion / 20x Grand

Grandson of Boones Little Andy -- He's my hoofed teddy bear

(First picture is from last summer, almost no conditioning and no sweating at all..., I think he looks just as good as in his younger days!)

SUNNY%202007%20VMHC%20Summer%20Classic%20--%20109.jpg

sunny9-smaller.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Thanks when I get home I will post a picture of the stallion I am thinking on. And let me know honestly what you's think if he would place or its not even worth sending him out for conditioning and training. [/SIZE]

Here is he let me know what you's think. If he would be a good contender, and I got looking at my stallion for sale HE LOOKS LIKE A candit to compete at nationals! I think his neck could be sweted just a little! [attachmentid=97]

FF_Stormy_R.jpg

I will post a few photos once photobucket starts working agian
default_wacko.png
. I have a few shetlands, i know your looking at the minis, but the shetlands can add a different view to things
default_smile.png

Alot of things go in to the answer "could this horse be nationals quality"

Conditioning

Training

height of the horse and where that height falls in a class

The person who leads the horse in the ring

etc etc

Hi Kayla.

Not to be mean but you aren't really allowed to post pictures of a horse you don't own. Nor ask for a critque, it's not really fair.
I got permission thanks

Alot of things go in to the answer "could this horse be nationals quality"

Conditioning

Training

height of the horse and where that height falls in a class

The person who leads the horse in the ring

etc etc
What I am wondering is does he have the right build, I am not sure what they look for in a halter mini at all. And just want to get an idea.

I know conditioning, traning, and person all depends on it.

What sizes do the classes go by?

What kay ment was for example, if you are showig in the over division which is 34''-38'' and you have a 34.5'' horse ..the 38'' horse may have the advantage. I know persnally from showing a yearling last year, the yearling over division is 32''-?? and the yearling i was showing was 32.5'' showing agiansts yearling that were more near 36'', giving the slight under advantage.

Leeana

Thanks Leeana thats exactly what I meant LOL. do you know what height he is? Also are you talking AMHA OR AMHR Nationals? That also makes a difference.

Its very hard for horses at the bottom of the height class to really do well. Not impossible but much harder.

He looks to me like he needs a lot more conditioning and he looks like the smaller size?? But a nice horse for sure
default_smile.png

Thanks Leeana thats exactly what I meant LOL. do you know what height he is? Also are you talking AMHA OR AMHR Nationals? That also makes a difference.

Its very hard for horses at the bottom of the height class to really do well. Not impossible but much harder.

He looks to me like he needs a lot more conditioning and he looks like the smaller size?? But a nice horse for sure
default_smile.png
Thanks, I cant wait until shipping is arraged it seems to be taking forever. He stands 31.5' Is he just right at the cut off? Or in a bad height.

Here, i will share a few of our shetlands that have done pretty well just to give you another take on this
default_smile.png

Alpha Farms Magical Debut

~Congress Reserve GRAND Champion Gelding

~4x Congress Champion

~Multi Grand Champion Gelding

~Halter HOF

6.jpg

3.jpg

Alpha Farms Magical Melody

~Debuts paternal sister, she has not been shown yet but i plan to show her next year and i think she is going to do very well. Her sire and dam also did very very well for themselves
default_smile.png

11-3.jpg

Leeana

There's no "bad height"
default_smile.png
If he measures 31.5", he has the illusion of a taller horse and I personally like that. He would need work (sweating) on his neck for sure and toning / tightening of his body. The picture's really too small to tell much but I think he may have potential.

Also, don't let people psych you out about it having more to do with who's leading the horse than the horse itself. Some people handle better than others (it takes practice and some have more natural ability, too) but it's a horse show. I don't hear too many winners crying politics or figuring to put the sash around their own neck vs. the horse's
default_smile.png

Yes, Kayla - you are correct. Your boy (the buckskin pinto) in question appears to need some additional toning and sweating in the neck area. His neck ties in a little lower in his chest area and thus that aspect can have an impact in conditioning as he will be naturally thicker at the base which will tend to carry up into the neck area.

Something that is often overlooked when selecting a horse for exhibition is the horses "attitude" - does he enjoy showing? We have a few horses in our pasture that have far superior conformation to some of the horses we have exhibited, however they were truly wall flowers in the arena - very shy and just did not like being in the limelight. Attitude and presence can sure "compensate" some conformation issues.

So a few things to consider - the presentation of the horse in condition, fitting, training and grooming, the ability and confidence of the handler to present the horse to its best advantage, the conformation and balance of the horse, the attitude and natural presence of the horse itself - are all the basic key ingredients needed to show successfully at the National level.

Hope this is of help.

Kayla my comment about who leads the horse in has nothing to do with politics etc. What I mean is a beginner taking a horse in a Nationals class may not place as high as someone with years and years of experience. I always encourage everyone to show their own horse! And I have never whined or cried about a placing I have received. I show all my horses totally on my own (with the exception of Nationals) and have for years. I have been very happy with how my horses have placed over the years

When I took Black to Nationals I knew that in order to give him the best chance at winning he needed to be led in by someone with more experience then I had, so I had Laura at Ten L Training take him in open and I showed him in Ammy. There is no shame in paying a pro to take your horse in the ring! And I know other people even people with years of experience who will pay a pro to take a horse in a class at Nationals. There is a reason they are paid professionals and that is because they know how to get the best out of every horse they show. Nationals is not at all like a local show and given the huge amount of money involved just getting a horse to Nationals it makes sense to give your horse the best chance at placing

about heights. No there is no "bad height" but in REALITY the horses that are taller in their height division tend to do better then horses at the bottom. Like I said its not impossible but it is harder. I tend to tell it like it is and not sugar coat things.
default_smile.png

And I totally agree with Getitia that attitude has a lot to do with it!

I don't know. I think he is pretty, all I have is a fat little quarterhorse style mini that has a mind of his own, lol. I do think that his colours are really neat, and that he has a kind looking eye, maybe use a little sweating to make the neck look a little longer and tie in better. He does have a nice level croup. Love the shading on the tail too.

Vicki

Latest posts

Back