Can I please see pictures of foals in the "funky head" stage,

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't take pictures of mine while they are ugly ducklings -- hee hee

Do you mean when they have lower tooth bumps and then the upper ones later? I have no pictures, but thank goodness, mine did outgrow that funky head thing. Be careful, though, because if the calcium / phosfurous (SP?) ratio is out of wack, they can get something called "big head" syndrom and you need to supplement if this happens (it did with my Khaki, she is "normal" now).

Well... tooth bumps and such mostly... I know a foals head can change a lot as they are growing, our colts has changed a bit in the past 3 mos. I was reading the other post about gawkiness in growing, and was just wondering what some of the gawkiness grew into...
default_smile.png

Thanks,

Chris

It has been my experience that when it comes to foals heads, it does not work the same way as growth spurt gawkiness as seen in other areas of the body. Most often, a foal will have a pretty head at birth, and as it ages, it develops more and more into the head it will have as an adult. Normally, it gets "less pretty"(or maybe "less extreme" would be a better choice of words) or stays the same, but I have never seen one get ugly(or less than pleasing) and then turn out nice at maturity. BUT, that is only my personal observations.

I tend to notice/observe and feel the same as Mona.

Most of the foals that have more extreme looking heads (like an Arabian foal, though usually not quite the same) will sort of even out and end up looking more adult like, but yeah, the ones that look funky for a while generally don't change into a very nice head, they sometimes can get a rather plain head if things even out.

I know that sounds confusing, but if the head gets real big at one stage, it would be a good idea to check into what Jill mentioned, and other than that, they just may be a bigheaded horse when they finish out. Tooth bumps are best addressed by an equine dentist as they can be signs of retained caps and/or abscess.

default_smile.png

Liz

Latest posts

Back