Can he be TOO fat

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
It's winter here in Australia, but the spring grass is appearing. Bailey's field does not have much grass in it, just some short pickings.

He is fed a product called 'Breeda' developed for mares and young horses. It's a steam extruded feed. He gets the recommended amount of that, which is 2 cups x twice a day along with 1/2 cup of soaked speedi-beet at each feed.

He is also fed free choice hay with small amounts of lucerne (which I believe is the same as your timothy).

This past week or two, Bailey has been able to have the run of the property and eat away at our front and back lush lawn. He has got FAT!
default_wacko.png
: I'm having truoble feeling his ribs.

My question is.... is he too young at 10 months old to restrict his feed? I would hate for him to miss out on nutrients at this age. He is very active, but getting quite tubby!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that the grass is the culprit. I have rarely had a horse of that age be TOO fat, and that is with pretty much free choice Orchard grass, sparse grass pasture and complete feed/beet pulp.

If you're not sure, you can try asking a veterinarian.

Usually the areas I check for fat is along the topline, the neck, the area behind the armpits, over the ribs and hips. Usually in these areas you can feel the skeletal structure (not see it on a clipped horse) with some light pressing.

Hard to say not seeing him, but it very well could be the grass that's just gotten very rich, and I would be concerned with that as it's hard to tell what all's in it. I know there's a link, I think it's called safergrass.org that you can investigate more about grass as it relates to horses.

Good luck!

Liz M.

No, not really, not unless it is piled on all over and his neck is loaded.

Otherwise I leave yearlings to find their own level unless I am showing them.

Unfortuanetly a show yearling is another matter- so I limit the showing they do and now they are roughed off and out in ankle deep grass- again, all winter they will find their own level.

Next Spring i will bring them up and decide what I am going to do with them.

If they are not to be shown they will go with the broodmares once they have foaled and they will just feed themselves.

I do not limit any of my horses that are at grass- they are out, 24/7, on good grass.

I personally would be careful about giving him fresh lush grass in excess due to founder.

Other wise I would say no. I have a few yearlings here that are fat, big ol bellies. And no before anybody askes they are not under nurished and are current on deworming.

I have 2 wealings and one is very pot bellied. I did a mini dose power pac wormer on her a few weeks ago and it didn't seem to make any difference.

I have the minis on 12% fat 12% protein grain, great alfalfa hay. I've reduced the hay some to see if its just a hay belly but I'm still not seeing that is going on here.

Any advice? The problem child is 5 months old. The 4 month old mini looks fine. Abit fat but not pot bellied.

Thank you..

Shasta

No, not really, not unless it is piled on all over and his neck is loaded.

Otherwise I leave yearlings to find their own level unless I am showing them.

Unfortuanetly a show yearling is another matter- so I limit the showing they do and now they are roughed off and out in ankle deep grass- again, all winter they will find their own level.

Next Spring i will bring them up and decide what I am going to do with them.

If they are not to be shown they will go with the broodmares once they have foaled and they will just feed themselves.

I do not limit any of my horses that are at grass- they are out, 24/7, on good grass.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Last night I went to put his rug/blanket on him and I had to adjust the belly straps. :new_shocked:

I'm keeping him off the rich grass for now, but will continue to feed him his regular feed. In case anyone was wondering, he has been wormed etc. He is simply FAT.

Fat is fine, there is nothing wrong with fat and I would let him on the grass, it is unfair to make him stand and look at it!!

The amount you are offering will not do any harm at all and it will help prevent ulcers.

I am not bothered by fat foals- my foals are not yet weaned and are as fat as little piggies and will be now until I bring them up to decide whether to show them or not.

I do not believe in doing any horse that is not actually having it's health threatened.

It is all very well playing with your horses and keeping them healthy etc but, being brutally frank here, some people need to take a long hard look in the mirror before deciding their horses, who are helpless to argue and depend on you for absolutely everything, are fat!!!
default_wink.png
:

Edited to add:

He is GROWING, of course you will have to let the surcingles out!!! :bgrin

Fat is fine, there is nothing wrong with fat and I would let him on the grass, it is unfair to make him stand and look at it!!

The amount you are offering will not do any harm at all and it will help prevent ulcers.

I am not bothered by fat foals- my foals are not yet weaned and are as fat as little piggies and will be now until I bring them up to decide whether to show them or not.

I do not believe in doing any horse that is not actually having it's health threatened.

It is all very well playing with your horses and keeping them healthy etc but, being brutally frank here, some people need to take a long hard look in the mirror before deciding their horses, who are helpless to argue and depend on you for absolutely everything, are fat!!!
default_wink.png
:

Edited to add:

He is GROWING, of course you will have to let the surcingles out!!! :bgrin
I feel that as Bailey's owner, I have a duty of care to him. He doesn't have the ability to realise when he's had too much of a good thing. His yard that he is in, is not a dry lot, but has very short native grass so that's why I offer him free choice hay and lucerne. He was already a chubby little guy before sending him out to graze all day on the rich grass.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a problem for him if he was on this kind of pasture all day and night, but he's not. Then perhaps, his system would have a chance to adapt . He's in 1/2 an acre most days but when we are home to watch over him, we let him have the run of the property. He is let out to graze a few times a week normally, but these last couple of weeks, he has been spending most of his days and evenings out there.

I'm not exaggerating when I say he has blown up like a balloon. I also like to see these little guys with some extra weight on them and I'm often horrified at how thin some of the 'show horses' are. Bailey is just my pet, not a show horse, but having said that, I still need to keep his weight in check. I had a riding gelding years ago that foundered and it was a very sad thing to see him go through.

Just like my two children, I also keep an eye on what they eat, and when. It's my responsibility as their mother to limit treats and snacks, for their own health. No one likes to see a fat kid. I have my own battles with my weight at times, but I do try to set a good example to them.

Anyway, thats a little off track....At the end of the day, I'm only concerned about Bailey's health and have been reading how hard being overweight is on a horses system, their growth plates etc...even in foals.

And yes, he is growing, and I'm sure i would have had to let out his belly straps at some point. But at the moment, I think he is actually wider than he is taller! :new_shocked:

I always enjoy your replies Jane. You don't hold back!
default_wink.png
:

Latest posts

Back