Can an open maiden have sticky milk?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsites

Reaction score
Today I was comparing a maiden's bag that I think is in foal (Patches) to a maiden I thought was open (High Society). I felt Patches bag...nothing. I checked HighSociety's bag there was a tiny bit of hardness but she is not bagged up at all. There is alot of fullness in front of her bag. She has a tiny bit of very sticky milk that tested about a 6.8 ph. She is overweight so I didn't see any size change. I'm not sure what to think. Is it possible for a maiden to give a dribble of sticky milk if she is not in foal...if so why? Her dam produces lots of white milk year round. High Society was in heat this year so I thought she was open. I bred her four times last year. I bred her June 5-9, June 26-30, July 19-21, and August 8-9. Her dam has had a history of allowing a stallion to breed her while she was in foal.

I'd like to say too that my mare Missy "shows heat" to our stallion even while pregnant. She's due anytime now and everytime I walk her by our stallion she acts like she's in full blown heat and never stops doing this regardless of when/if she is in season.

Considering she was bred, I would think that she could very well be pregnant and waiting to show you her package!
default_yes.gif

Is it possible for a maiden to give a dribble of sticky milk if she is not in foal...if so why?

Yes, because mammary secretions resembling milk can happen at any time during a mares life whether she is pregnant or not.

Dr Taylor

Dr. Taylor....Thanks for answering my question. That was a huge help.

Thanks all! I was hoping Tybee Tyme was right and I would be getting a new foal soon. Diane, if things change and she progresses I'll let you know and get pics.

Is it possible for you try to feel foal movement on her during feeding time? That'd give you an answer in a heartbeat......

Here's to hoping there's a suprise package in there for you!
default_luck.gif

Latest posts

Back