Can a mare show signs of heat if in foal?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
We have a mare we breed last month to our stud. She was fine until this week. She has show signs of being in season, but will not stand for the stud.This mare has shown in heat for three days now. But when we try to breed her, she wouldn't stand still. Could she be in foal and show signs? When we breed her last time, she kick some, but would stand for him. I want you all to know this is her first time to be breed. What all can I do to see if she is in season or breed. If she is not breed then we would like to breed her. Any ideals on this one.

thanks melissa

Also forgot to say that the stud was not that much wanting the mare either. I haven't had them act like this before.Both the mare and stud are wanting to kick each other. The mare is urine for the stud(what is up with her), but she want stand still. The stud was not bringing it out, it you know what i am saying(he was just not really).This mare and stud were breed last month, it has been about 26 days since we last breed them. She has shown signs for three days.

thanks melissa

Last edited by a moderator:
ANYONE ON THIS THREAD KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MARES SEASONS.

HELP US PLEASE.

THANKS MELISSA

I am really pretty new to breeding minis, however, I do know this time of year is tricky and some of my mares seem to be in strong heats longer than normal, but I think they may be false heats.

I have seen VERY pregnant mares wink and tease and act like they are in heat when they are very obviously pregnant. I don't know if one that was bred a month ago would be teasing or truly back in heat. I think that the closer into fall we get, if they are not already pregnant, it can be hard to get them in foal until the following season.

Again, I am far from an expert in this at this point, but if she were my horse, I would probably be thinking she likely didn't take last time and is having one of those weird early fall fake heats.

PS two of my new horses came from your neck of the woods in Brandon, MS from the Harrells -- a silver dapple mare and her silver buckskin filly and I just LOVE these two girls
default_smile.png

Not only will some still show signs of heat after in foal...but they will also allow the stallion to breed! I once had a mare who was bred in the spring, and then every 3 weeks or so, she'd come back into season & allow the stallion to breed....all summer long. Then the next spring, she'd have a foal from the very first breeding.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I would always allowed them to continue to breed, because I never knew "for sure" whether she was in foal or not. She did this every year.
default_yes.gif
: Thankfully....this is not the "norm" for most mares.

This was way back before Pregnamare was widely available....and I just judged whether they were pregnant or not, by when they stopped coming into season.

HELLO,

THANKS FOR YOU ALL HELP.

JILL YOUR FILLIES SOUND NICE.

THANKS MELISSA

MB, a book that gives alot of info on the care and breeding of horses is " Blessed are the Broodmares".

It has really helped me and it does discuss this issue of them going back into heat after being bred and in foal. I would suggest you read it if at all possible as it is invaluable and will aswer alot of questions.

never, Never, [SIZE=36pt]NEVER [/SIZE] let a stallion breed a suspected-pregnant mare. Two reasons: first, if semen enters her uterous, she'll get placentitis and abort. Second, the act of breeding causes her to release oxytocin and prostoglandin F2alfa, which kills the CL and aborts the mare. If you don't want a vet to come out to do the check for you, at LEAST learn how to do a speculum exam. If her cervix is closed, DO NOT let her breed, unless you just don't care if she aborts.

Melissa,

MOST mares do not accept a stallion while they are pregnant.

Given the fact that this time of year is not prime breeding season, and this mare was just bred 26 days ago, I would suspect that she is NOT pregnant.

Get with your vet and discuss horse reproduction at length to give yourself a better idea of what to expect while breeding horses. Also the book Nathan mentioned is great.

The only real way to know if she is pregnant or not is for the vet to examine her.

Lauralee

Hello,

We were not going to allow the stallion to hurt her. When she didn't want to stand for him, we decide to move on. The mares signs she showed was urine at the fence, but that is about all.The studs didn't show signs like they usually do either, the only thing they did was raise their noses in the air. Both the mare and stud was wanting to kick each other. I have been raising the big horses. This year was our first mini foal born. This mare acts different then her mother when it coming time for heat cycles. I have heard that some mares show heat cycles and can still be breed. We have decide to hold off on her. If she don't come in again next month does that mean she might be breed or is it because of winter coming. I read alot of books, but I still learning. I was thinking asking questions from you all who have been there could help as well.We usually breed in march, april, may or june at the latest, but this mare was showing signs later this year.

Thanks MELISSA

If she don't come in again next month does that mean she might be breed or is it because of winter coming.

It could very well be because of winter coming. None of my mares are cycling any more this year, at least not visibly. Quite the relief for the stallions, since those junior fillies can really drive them crazy, lol.

If you want to know for sure if she is pregnant or not, it would be best to have her checked by a vet. Or, there are the pregnancy tests you can do at home now. Good luck!

Part of your problem may well be the fact that mares do not come into heat every month, they come into heat every 21 days or less, from the start of their season.

So, if your mare started heat, for example on 5th may she would be due back in season 26th May- give or take a few days depending on the mare.

This means you may easily have missed her season.

never, Never, [SIZE=36pt]NEVER [/SIZE] let a stallion breed a suspected-pregnant mare. Two reasons: first, if semen enters her uterous, she'll get placentitis and abort. Second, the act of breeding causes her to release oxytocin and prostoglandin F2alfa, which kills the CL and aborts the mare. If you don't want a vet to come out to do the check for you, at LEAST learn how to do a speculum exam. If her cervix is closed, DO NOT let her breed, unless you just don't care if she aborts.
That may be true.....but when a mare comes back into season, most would NOT suspect her to be pregnant, figuring she didn't "catch" and would of course breed them again.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I can tell you that this particular mare of mine who would breed all summer & then have a foal from the first breeding.....NEVER had any problems foaling her beautiful babies, and never aborted either. Not saying it couldn't have happened...just that it never did. And she wasn't purposely "hand bred" over & over. She just ran with the stallion & they continued to breed throughout the summer.

This was several years ago....and If I still had this mare today, I would probably check her after the first breeding, as I would have seen she had established a "pattern" of catching on the first breeding.

I know...in a perfect world, we would all have our own barn vets & check every mare for pregnancy after each & every breeding. But in all honesty....how many do that? They usually let the stallion tell them whether the mare caught or not.

I personally have two problems with that
default_smile.png
First, I would never run a stallion with a herd of mares, I've seen too many crippling injuries as a result. I know that many people do without a single problem (and wild stallions have done that for centuries), but you won't ever see me do it. I prefer my stallion to be not injured or worse.

Second, more people should have their mares checked in foal. Twins can cause major problems as well. Is it worth $40 to you? Sure is to me! Breeding a mare in foal is has major potential problems. I would think that people breeding their horses and owning a stallion would be a little more educated in that heat =/= open and how a mare's body works, but that's just my opinion.

Second, more people should have their mares checked in foal. Twins can cause major problems as well. Is it worth $40 to you? Sure is to me! Breeding a mare in foal is has major potential problems. I would think that people breeding their horses and owning a stallion would be a little more educated in that heat =/= open and how a mare's body works, but that's just my opinion.

thereis alot of assumption there the first and most important being that everyone has ACCESS to have there mares US to see if they are in foal, or carrying twins ect. however sometimes that is not possible or becomes more dangerous then the need to know.

I am personally not comfortable palpating my mares even though my previous vet showed me how to do it and I have done it before it is something I will NEVER do again ( I did it on a large mare) while it is amazing to feel that baby bouncing around in there there is to many things that can go wrong and one wrong move can kill your mare.

I also personally dont feel comfortable with my vet using a probe for the same reason I think alot of succesful US,palpation is being able to feel when the mare is tensing ect and using what you feel with your instinct. I know many use a probe with great success however again not something I am comfortable with. My vet is over 6 ft tall and certainly not small enough to be able to safely palpate the mares or use US

again this is JMO and what I feel comfortable with.

There are the pregnamare tests though I havent used them but have heard from some they are accurate and others not so I cant say I might give them a try though but i always seem to miss the time frame

Dona and Lisa, I have to agree- for the first part it costs one heck of a lot more than $40.00 to have a mare ultrasounded and I have to truck them an hour journey each way plus I have to arm wrestle the Vet in charge not to sedate them- she has got the message now but it was a hassle and last time when she was wrong on two out of four mares AND one of those pregnancies should have been terminated- well, I gave up.

I have the Royal Veterinary College just two minutes from me, when I first started in Minis over twenty years ago I had a "Contact" in the college who did most of my work at "cost", but nowadays it will cost me over $900.00 as I go through the door!!!

I do not run my stallions but I know many people who do without any problems whatsoever- with me, I just do not like it and I like to keep records and have too many stallions and too little land to be able to do it properly.

At my age, if I had the facilities, I would definitely run at least one stallion, possibly two of them.

I have done AI and natural cover and I have to say I preferr natural cover as I do not have the facilities to check when the mare is ovulating.

The experiences I had with AI under ideal circumstances were very good, but I still did natural cover as well!!

The line I have that comes into season at least three months into their pregnancies will accept cover willingly the first season, with a small objection the second and then refuse the third season, in spite of appearing to be full in season, and none of them have ever come to any harm from it- apart from surprising me, to say the least, when they foaled - until I got the hang of what they were doing.

As said I have NEVER had this behaviour in big mares.

Ultrasounds done here cost $25 (so you have to add vet call to that). So $40 isn't a lowballed figure
default_smile.png
You can also do transabdominal ultrasounding as well, without the risks of rectal palpation. I know how to palpate too, and you won't EVER see me palpate a client horse. I'm not a vet, and if I make a mistake (which is easy to do) I could be sued for malpractice and practicing without a license. I wouldn't suggest any non-vet do equine palpations, ever.

If you are in a concentration of mini farms, try contacting your local vet schools and asking for a small, mini oriented repro vet and they can send one your way. There is no reason not to have access to these skills, shipping two hours to get to a vet is very unsettling to me. I wouldn't live that far from medical help if I could avoid it!

Ultrasounds done here cost $25 (so you have to add vet call to that). So $40 isn't a lowballed figure
default_smile.png
You can also do transabdominal ultrasounding as well, without the risks of rectal palpation.

Again it differs in areas so yes your 40 is quite the low ball figure in many other areas here it is 40 for him to pull in my driveway double that for an emergency. In CA 5 years ago it was 45 for them to appear. He doesnt carry his US equipment with him and would prefer that you come to the clinic so that means taking a broodmare, stressing her while loading and hauling and exposing her to things that are at the cleanest of vet clinics (airborne things from other horses there) for me personally yes there is benefit to having US done and it was great when my CA vet did it for me and even better when I got to do it on a big mare(although very scary scary enough i wont do it again) however for me the risk does outweigh the benifit. They will either get big be bred or not.

When I moved here I realized very quickly that not everyone has vets that are close or competent. It was something I must say I was shocked at coming from So Cal where your options were plentiful.

They also have to have very up to date equipment to do transabdominal US something not all vets have again until I moved something I was shocked at. I am less then a mile away from one of our states surgical centers but..I would take my horse 5 hours + away(and even with that time frame they would have a better chance) before walking thru there doors again that is a whole other story

An ultrasound here is $125 to start... we have expensive vet services... $40 won't even START to cover just the vet call...

Andrea

Where I used to live, there were several options quite near to me for veterinary services, but even then ultrasounds were expensive and of course they can be potentially dangerous. None of the vets had "mini equipment" and all would have to insert their hand into a mare to US her.

We've since moved to a much more rural area, and I don't have the nearby vets anymore-- EVERYTHING is farther away. And some of the vets here haven't ever even seen a miniature horse before, much less have equipment for minis.

Our reasons for moving were numerous, and so yes, even though there is the downside of not having vets "just down the road" anymore, there are many more upsides than downsides to our new location, so we are going to have to deal with it. Not everyone CAN live moments away from a vet. *shrug*

Latest posts

Back