Cameras/foal alerts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
My barn is at least 1000 ft from my house with trees between them (if that makes a difference). I am wanting to get barn cams and a foaling alert system. Will they work with that distance?? What do you recommend for a system? I am home all day, so wouldn't need anything special for if I left the property...just something that would work from my barn to the house.

If the distance is a problem, we do have a lean-to type shed close to the house that I can turn into a foaling stall, but it isn't big enough for foaling IMO and our stalls at the barn are 12x14. I'd rather have the cams out there.

Any hard-wired set should work, but check which cable they use before purchase. My fist camera needed and extra 100 feet of cable, and I found out quickly that it didn't take the regular cheap 'ol coax...the stuff I did need was almost $2 a foot at the time!!! The cable ended up costing darned near as much as the camera. When I went to a wireless system, I found that it worked well on a perfectly clear night with the barn doors open...but with any interference at all, was a pain. If you cannot affordably get a camera wired to the house, have you considered camping out in a camper set up beside the barn? I did that back before I had a camera, and even with a camera, is a good idea with the distance you would have to cover in an emergency.

That depends on the structure of your barn. We have a hard wired unit because we have a steel roof and were told wireless would have interference. I am sure some of the people on this forum can fill you in with wireless camera information.

As to the foaling alert, we have been VERY happy with Breeder Alert . The owners have been doing these for several decades and understand how important it is to have a unit that is reliable. As a further back up, joining Mare Stare might be useful for you. You can also contact them about the cameras you are considering for their advise.

For Camera info, check out this post over on the 'Best of' Forum: Camera Info

There are two commonly used foaling alerts, Breeders Alert and Equi-Page, both work on the same principle and are excellent. They are somewhat expensive, but not if you consider that they can save the life of the foal and/or mare. These attach to the halter and actuate when the mare lays flat on her side for an extended period of time, like they do when in hard labor. The unit sends a signal to a 'repeater' type system in the barn. That then sends a signal to either a beeper/pager or phone, depending on how you have their system configured. The range can be up to two miles between the repeater and the beeper.

There are also 'buzzer' type systems that attach to the halter and make a constant sound when the mare's head is to the side. You have to have some other device to transmit the sound to your house, either a baby-monitor, or a camera system that includes sound. These are relatively inexpensive, but not as sophisticated.

Other systems involve 'tampon' type things or sewing magnets to the mare's vulva area. These aren't used much with the minis.

Scott Creek Farms has a good article discussing the various Birth Alarms in greater detail and lists the pros and cons. Scott Creek, Birth Alarms

Latest posts

Back