Camera People..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniaddiction

Reaction score
Im on the hunt for a new camera. I have a Sony CyberShot at the moment which is really pretty average.

Mostly I take photos of children and horses, So Im after a good action shot camera but also one thats good for details in peoples faces etc.

Needs to be digital, Im not sure what all these terms mean (SLR and the like) but if you guys could tell me what you have and maybe share some example photos with me?

Much appreciated, Thanks

Hi Helen,

The best piece of advice that I can offer is to 'learn the functions of your camera' . Learn what all those functions do, what all of those terms mean. It doesn't matter what type of camera you buy if you aren't willing to put the time and effort into learning about photography. I have recently invested in a new camera but this time around I have been studying so much. The camera is only as good as the person behind it! It can be quite overwhelming to begin with, but trust me, the effort will pay off. You will be able to take some great photos on most cameras using the 'auto' setting, but it's well worth your while breaking out of that habit and use more manual functions. There are many great websites and forums you can visit that teach the basics in easy to understand formats. I'm happy to share some of those websites and forums with you if you are interested.

Anyway, my new camera is a Canon SX10 IS. It's only a new release (just late last year) A fabulous camera, basically a step down from a DSLR so it has full manual options. It also has a great video too. It's a rather bulky camera but it has all of the functions I wanted.

Here are some photos I have taken recently.

3273152232_5d83945c31_b.jpg

3273130230_aed78ef212_b.jpg

3257086059_db1173b961_b.jpg

3254270364_049404d7ae_b.jpg

3200103446_8d2d1ac19b_b.jpg

Good luck in your search, it me ages to narrow it down to the camera I finally bought.

xox Leonie xox

I highly recommend the Digital SLRs ( Single Lens Reflex) Both Canon and Nikon have great entry level DSLR camera that are reasonally priced. The good thing about SLR cameras is you can change the lens. SLR optics ( the lens) are usually a bit better than the point and shoot camera. The sensors are usually a bit bigger, and there is never a shutter lag ( like you can get with some point and shoots.

The consumer level DSLRs offer auto settings and well as partial to full manual.

There are some good point and shoots out there but they are about the same price as the DSLRs. the only advantage I see in a P&S is they are smaller.

Here are some galleries of mine. Most where shot with Canon DSLRs but there are a few shot with a P&S

http://www.pbase.com/uwharrie

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Canon PowerShot. It has revolutionized my photo taking. And I got it off of the CMHR auction last year! SNAP!

What ever you do Don't get an Olympus Evolt 510 camera. I ended up with a Lemon.. has a couple of issues. Already been to the Olympus shop and had one of its processors changed out..so they say.

Had a couple of long time pro photographers check it out, to make sure it just wasn't me. Nope, sadly its the camera. They told me to chuck it and by another... which I can't do right now.

Issues I am having with this camera are known problems and Olympus will not do the right thing.

So... this camera has been recommended to me by a number of pro and very good photographers. Nikon D300. Great for action shots and low lights you find at horse shows.

Leonie, beautiful photos.

I have a kodak digital camera that takes wonderful pictures. They have them at walmart now.

I got mine at radio shack for about $100.00. It is a very very good camera.

I love it.

here is one like mine from walmart website.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/detail.gsp?...alse&type=0

mine is the grey one.

here is the description of it.

This picture-perfect bundle features your choice of a Pink or Silver Kodak EasyShare C913, which boasts a 9.2 megapixel resolution and 3x optical zoom. You'll also get a Kodak 2GB SD Memory Card. Click on the item links for full product details.

Key Features & Benefits:

9.2 megapixel resolution

Delivers detailed pictures that can be enlarged up to 16" x 20"

3x optical zoom lens and 5x digital zoom

Allow you to bring your subjects closer for better composition

2.4-inch color LCD screen

Lets you compose and review your shots with ease

Digital image stabilization

Reduces blurring caused by camera shake or subject movement

Share button

Enables you to tag photos so they will be ready to print or email later

PictBridge and ImageLink compatibility

Prints directly to compatible printers without using a computer

18 scene modes

Provide creative options for taking eye-catching photos

Movie modes

Captures videos in QVGA or VGA resolution with sound

16 MB internal memory and SD/SDHC card slot

Stores images in the camera or lets you use optional SD or SDHC memory cards (internal memory is limited so an additional memory card [not included] is highly recommended)

Latest posts

Back