Calling all Obstacle in Hand persons. Really need help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
How do you get a mini to stand in a circle with a drop lead line? I am having fun and maybe try some obstacles, but cannot figure out how to get a mini to stand with her feet in a circle without moving.

Need help

Put her in the circle with a lead. Hold the lead and give a firm but gentle tug (or 2 )on the lead toward the ground. Back away 2 steps with the lead in your hand. If she steps out put her back in. If she doesn't, give her a treat and say "good girl" Repeat. After a few successful "stay ins" then step back further each time. Don't try to do this more than a few times. Horses have a short attention span. Practice 1 or 2 times a day stepping further away (using a lunge line if she is in an open space).

Don't get frustrated. It takes a while for them to learn and then you can put them in the circle, tug the lead, drop the lead and walk around them.

Hopefully this helps. Practice, Practice, Practice until you feel she is confirmed. Then move to another area to see if she will do it there preferably one that has distractions.

This is called ground tying. First make sure your horse has a good "whoa" or "hoa" that way they know when you say that they should stop. You can start by practicing outside of the hula hoop. Have your horse stand still and say whoa. Loosely hold the lead line and step away if they move I shank the lead rope and say whoa. When they will stand without moving drop the lead rope and step away, if they move say "whoa" in a firm tone and if they continue to move pick up the lead rope and shank it again. Eventually they will learn that whoa means don't move. I have gotten my gelding to the point where I can run to the house, run upstairs, and comeback and he is still in the same position. (I would always trust him to stay that still though).

Agree with the other posts, short practices. Make sure they understand whoa. I use 2 leads, leave a heavier one down & use a lighter one (even a piece of twine) so if they try to move away I can make them get right back where they need to be. It's amazing how quickly they learn to stay put, especially if "whoa" was already there. Like Little Ones said, once they're good in one place, take them to another. You can even increase activity around them (I'm mean, I put their feed pan out) and see how well they do. Be creative, be consistent in your methods, and add variety to what you're doing.

Yep. Just like the above posts suggested from me too. Ever do dog obediance training? It's like teaching a long sit or down. Very similair with the horses.

Latest posts

Back