Calif state fair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JO~*

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone here is going to the fair? I will be in Sacramento on August 22 and 23 and I think I will check out the state fair.

I have lived in Calif all my life but have never gone to the state fair.

Does anyone know if they have lots of poultry? We are going to miss the poultry showmanship by one day.

I think we will be able to see the dairy show.

So anyone have anything to tell me about the CS fair?

Pardon my REALLY stupid question, but I don't know anything about any other animal shows than horses but...how do poultry do showmanship? Surely not like the miniatures..? Like I said I know nothing about other animals although I thought chickens and such were smaller than miniatures....so in my head I'm trying to figure out walking, trotting and 360s with a chicken...

I ask the same question [ about showmanship ]. our little friend[ shes 5] is showing guinea pigs this year. and I wanted to see them trot out there. but she says that they show much like cats . they are posed on a table . as the judge inspects them you must move around the animal as you would a horse. then you turn them over and show how to tell there sex. and then back on there feet and they should streach out and pose.shes really exited about this. the kid shes showing against has been solo the last two years so shes ready to kick some butt. her and her sister are going to be there this year. the older sis is doing 14 events over three days. the 21 through the 23 shes in the state youth finals. DR.

Ok this is how you show a chicken according to my daughter who is the showman here.

First you take your bird out of the cage head first, then carry it over to a table holding the chicken a certain way as you go,facing backwards kind of. Then you put your bird on the table sideways to the judge and the judge asks you stuff about your bird and has you do a well bird check and walk your bird. Different judges have you do differnt things. :bgrin

Zoeefair2007002.jpg

I ask the same question [ about showmanship ]. our little friend[ shes 5] is showing guinea pigs this year. and I wanted to see them trot out there. but she says that they show much like cats . they are posed on a table . as the judge inspects them you must move around the animal as you would a horse. then you turn them over and show how to tell there sex. and then back on there feet and they should streach out and pose.shes really exited about this. the kid shes showing against has been solo the last two years so shes ready to kick some butt. her and her sister are going to be there this year. the older sis is doing 14 events over three days. the 21 through the 23 shes in the state youth finals. DR.
If we happen to be there at the same time is their a name (or pets name) or something I could look for.

I know you may not want to post the girls name here. I think we are going to be wandering around on either August 22 or 23.

My daughters has her yearly appointment on the 23ed at 1:00 at Shriners for her back so we are kind of working around that. Its a long drive for us to go down there but as long as we are there we want to check out the fair if just for a short time. Our fair up here is pretty small. Do you know if the public can go on the fairgrounds before the main part of the fair opens? We would like to see the dairy heifer show but I think its like at 8:00AM.

Thanks JoAnn

Latest posts

Back